Sleep clinic test, sleep clinic results, and a surprise diagnosis.

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
After posting the thread on my health the other day( http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,204508.0.html ), I didn't know I would be adding a new diagnosis to the list so soon. Because of lack of sleep, and he severe movement disorder I talk about in the health thread, I went to sleep clinic to see if they could help.

The test:
I went in at 9:00 at night to the clinic at the University of Utah Hospital. You go in a room that has a camera that records you while you are "sleeping", or not sleeping as the case may be. The only light when the door is closed is the red light on the camera that has night vision technology, so light doesn't' affect your sleep. They hook you up with all kinds of wiring from head to toe. They are checking for restless leg, muscle spasms, heart rate, brain waves, and oxygen levels in the blood. You take your normal sleep meds, if you are on any. There is a list of things to do to prepare, like not drinking caffeine after noon, and so forth. The bed was VERY comfortable. They had gotten new ones in, and sprung for the best. The U of U hospital is top notch, and one of the best in the country. I actually slept about the same there as at home, which was very surprising to me. Most people with sleep problems have trouble not sleeping in their own bed, let alone with cords going everywhere, but it was just fine in my opinion. There is no TV in the room, so if you like to fall asleep watching TV, which is a big no-no anyway, you may have trouble falling asleep. you also shouldn't take your normal sleeping pills before you are all wired up. It takes about 20 minutes, and they have had problems with people falling asleep while they are trying to put wires on, which has to be done sitting up.
The results I got yesterday, December 9th:
A little background on me, I am 5'9 and weigh 165, so not overweight at all, and am 39 years old. I don't snore, and I sleep breathing through my nose only. I had none of the 3 main factors in sleep apnea. The only risk factor is family history of apnea. The Dr didn't think I would have problems with apnea, I was only going for the other conditions I listed, and to try to help get better sleep quality.
I was shocked to find out I stopped breathing an average of 40 times per hour over an 8 hour period. 320 times in a night. They could also see the severe muscle spasms on camera, but nothing in the test gave a way to treat them, except hopefully getting better sleep. They fitted me for a mask yesterday while I was there to go with the cpap machine I will be getting. There were 3 options for masks.
The first has to be used if you sleep breathing through your mouth. I covers your nose and mouth fully. That mask wouldn't have been that bad, but because of my muscle tremors it was bugging me after a few minutes. My lower jaw has constant tremors that you can't see, and I can only feel if I have something like a mask on my face. The mask part over my chin was vibrating with the tremors, really a weird feeling.
The second went over just the nose, and of course can only be used if you breath through your nose at night. if you snore, you need the full mask. I liked this one the best.
The third just kind of went in your nostrils. It felt really weird, and if you have drainage from allergies, it tends to gather around the nostril plugs, instead of draining properly down the back of your throat.
Next week I will have to sleep at the clinic again with the mask on all night. The cpap machine works by putting a little pressure with the oxygen, gently forcing your body to keep breathing. I like the feel of breathing with the mask on. If I tolerate it well and it helps the problem, I will be sent home with the machine. The cpap machine runs at a nice gentle hum, they are not as loud as they used to be.
The cost? I am not sure, I am on cobra and diagnostic tests like MRI's, the sleep clinic, and others are covered 100%. That has been very nice, even at 10% I would have spent thousands on my testing over the last 18 months.

Old_Okie

Jun 14, 2007
Hi Utah,

Been sleeping with a CPAP for about 10 years. Made a HUGE difference in the quality of rest. Best of luck with your followup.

(I started with a nose mask, then change to the Dream headgear which I like much better personally.)

Old_Okie

OP
OP
utah hunter

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Old_Okie said:
Hi Utah,

Been sleeping with a CPAP for about 10 years. Made a HUGE difference in the quality of rest. Best of luck with your followup.

(I started with a nose mask, then change to the Dream headgear which I like much better personally.)

Old_Okie

What is the Dream headgear, and what makes you like it better?

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
best of luck to you in finding the best mask for you. I understand that makes a huge difference. If it is uncomfortable to you the chances of you continuing to use it are a lot less too I suppose. Keep me updated on how it works for ya!

littletwig

Sep 4, 2008
Magnolia, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, M6, 6x10 DD, 4x6 DD
I've been sleeping with a cpap for about 5 yerars now. Absolutely changed my life. I use the Activa mask by Resmed. I am set up t 18 lbs of pressure. It allows you to sleep on you side without breaking the seal. It's the only mask I've ever seen that would allow you to sleep on your side. It will talk a little time to get use to the extra energy you will have. It won't be long till you will KILL anyone :violent1: who trys to stop you from using your cpap. You won't need as much of this :coffee2: once you get going on the cpap. Good Luck and happy sleeping.

Old_Okie

Jun 14, 2007
utah hunter said:
Old_Okie said:
Hi Utah,

Old_Okie

What is the Dream headgear, and what makes you like it better?

Sorry, got the name wrong from memory. It is called the Breeze headgear. I find the nasal pillows more comfortable than a mask.

Attachments

• Headgear.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 113
S

stefen

Contrary to all advertizements, a Cpap machine does not introduce oxygen...it uses the air one would breath normally...

A person with sleep apnea actually stops breathing when snoring and deprives or starves the body of much needed oxygen.

OP
OP
utah hunter

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
stefen said:
Contrary to all advertizements, a Cpap machine does not introduce oxygen...it uses the air one would breath normally...

A person with sleep apnea actually stops breathing when snoring and deprives or starves the body of much needed oxygen.

That is true, but pressuring the air helps you keep breathing, and the oxygen level in the blood goes up.
I don't snore, never have. I breath through my nose at night... My apnea isnt obstructive, but neurological(much more rare). see the link to my health history for more on my nervous system problems

S

stefen

Side story...know this gal that snores like a horse...a week ago began using the nose bands and literally stopped snoring...

She said that she feels more rested than ever and has more energy at the end of the work day...

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Just read your other post then this post.

You are an awesome dad and husband! Your wife and kids should be proud of you.

A friend had a sleep study done, not only did they find that he had sleep apnea, but he also had to undergo surgery to have a pacemaker installed. He just wouldn't stop breathing, but his heart would stop beating while he is sleeping.

Next year my hubby will be have this study done. He is the only person I know that can fall asleep in a dentist chair, and he fell a sleep during an outpatient surgery that he had a local for.

Good luck to you. You will be in my prayers.

Sue

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread