Neighbour is long lost sister

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Here's a great find!

A BROTHER and sister spent 40 years trying to find each other ā€” then discovered they lived only 300 yards apart.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2090687.ece (with pictures)

Ken Whitty, 64, walked past 62-year-old Yvonneā€™s house countless times and even saw her in the garden, but did not recognise her.

They were reunited only after Ken wrote to his local paper appealing for help in his search.

Soon after his letter was published, he got a phone call saying: ā€œHello, this is Yvonne.ā€

The pair spent their early years in Ordsall, Gtr Manchester.

They were still kids when their parents died and were cared for by a family pal.

They lost touch after leaving home and starting their own families.

Later, they tried to trace each other ā€” then Ken, a joiner, wrote to the paper last month.

When Yvonne rang, it turned out she was living 300 yards from him in Reddish, Greater Manchester.

Ken, who moved to Reddish in 2002, said: ā€œI couldnā€™t believe it. I shot round to see her.ā€

He said of their time apart: ā€œI just assumed sheā€™d turn up, but the years rolled by.ā€

Yvonne said: ā€œItā€™s so nice to see Ken again. Itā€™s overwhelming.ā€

Kenā€™s daughter Nicola Dawes said: ā€œOur family has now doubled. We are all so happy.ā€

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! That is soooo great to find your family after so many years and for them to be close to each other well atleast they can have coffe togeather everyday! ;D

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coolstory Jim.I have a good friend "Steve" that was raised by his Uncle and aunt.He is now in his 50's and just learned that his "Mom and Dad" are in fact his aunt and uncle and he has 3 sisters and a brother ! His real Mom and siblings have been looking for him for years but his Uncle told them he dident know were my buddy was and hid this from him all these years.Steve was stationed less than 25 miles from his mom when he was in the Air force and dident have a clue. He met them all this past summer and they all get along great !

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting story. That would be a tradgedy, I mean know that she has been there all those years and you didn't even know it :-\

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread