Anyone a member of Ancestry.com?

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
smurf-42 said:
I need some help looking for family members, but I am not a member. I can only access little information in there. If you would be willing to help me, I would greatly appreciate it. I can PM the names and dates to you.

Thanks,
Sue

Hi Sue!

Suggest: Purchasing Family Tree Maker ($40.00), at Sam's Club or equivalent. You will get 3 months FREE ancestry.com membership. In 1 week you will be amazed at the amount of information available to you. FTM is the best genealogy software I have found.

OR: Go to ancestry.com....you will get 10 days free trial of their services; cancel if you choose.

Good luck!

OP
OP
smurf-42

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
I did the trial already a year ago. I just got information on my Maternal Grandmother side. So now I working on that.

Sue

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sue,

You can get the free trial again!

Good luck!

OP
OP
smurf-42

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Thanks Texas for the information.

I do have alot of family done already. I get to my moms mom parents then I stuck and same with hubby side.

I do have 2 people that have memberships to Ancestry.com that are willing to help me. One is doing my moms mom and the other is doing my hubby's mom mom.

By doing this genealogy, I did find out that I have German, which I knew, France, Switzerland, England, and Puerto Rico in me.

Sue

K

Kentucky Kache

I have found the Mormon files to be greatly inaccurate. Like texastee has said, do followup research. Also, 1880 census is always free on Ancestry.com.

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
smurf-42,
I have been researching my family for about 25 years. I got back into the 1500's on my father's side quite quickly, but was at a standstill on my mother's side up until last week.
First I got all the information that I could from family. Then I went to all cemeteries where ancestors were buried and got information and pictures of their stones. I search all the time on the local historical society and library. Then when I learned how to google on the internet, I found more than I ever thought was possible.
I'm now back in the 1600's on my mother's side. There were people on her side who were arrested in the Salem Witch Trials. This has been very interesting reading of the trials.
Just google the name that you are searching, and you will find so much to keep you busy for a while.
I have been doing this research for about 25 years and have never paid any money for the information. You would be paying them to do the work for you. That's OK if it is what you want. But I have enjoyed every minute of doing the reseach myself.
If I can be of any help, just let me know.

Good luck,
Clayton

S

Smee

Consider the message boards at Rootsweb . . . now part of Ancestry.com.

You can post queries, but be as specific as you can. You may even find living relatives you didn't know you had . . . so be careful. Believe me, it isn't always a good thing.

You can also read others queries, and swap information like we sometimes swap treasure hunting information here. Be just as careful too. Not everyone is who they seem to be.

Met some good leads, even got around the adoption laws in the state of Mississippi. A little knowledge, a little arm twisting, and some "happy accidents" (asking the wrong question to the right person) later, I found my dad's sister alive and well. She had been missing from the family for 65 years.

He had found all the other siblings when he was a young man, but was certain she had died. As a result of one lead on Rootsweb, he got to speak to her in the last months before he passed in 2001. If they hadn't botched his heart surgery, he would have gotten to see her in person.

OP
OP
smurf-42

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Smee said:
He had found all the other siblings when he was a young man, but was certain she had died. As a result of one lead on Rootsweb, he got to speak to her in the last months before he passed in 2001. If they hadn't botched his heart surgery, he would have gotten to see her in person.

Sorry about your dad, but it sounds like he had some closing before his death.

Thanks for the information you shared.

Sue

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
The purists (read snobs) among genealogists state that the minimum
you should have for EACH person in your family tree is a certified copy
of the birth certificate; a certified copy of the death certificate and a
certfied copy of the marriage license - they also recommend that you do
that for each of their children and grandchildren. BULL. To do that even
only going back four generations would cost you thousands and thousands of dollars. They don't seem to realize that most folks are interested not OBSESSED.
They also say that it is somehow ILLEGAL to display a coat of arms unless
you can prove TO THEIR SATISFACTION that you are a direct descendant of
the original person that was granted the arms. TOO DAMN BAD.
I am proven to be eligible through published genealogies that the purists
accept for membership in the MAYFLOWER SOCIETY; the DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION; the GRAND ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC and the CONFEDERATE equivalent. I don't care for that type group and that type of person.
I wouldn't join their groups even if i didn't have to provide that sort of documentation to prove my connection to the published genealogies.
siegfried schlagrule

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
smurf-42 said:
I need some help looking for family members, but I am not a member. I can only access little information in there. If you would be willing to help me, I would greatly appreciate it. I can PM the names and dates to you.

Thanks,
Sue

Sue.....give me a PM if I can help....have ancestry and newspaper subscription...if you have some on ancestry already helping you, I can see if I can find any newspaper articles on your family....found quite a bit on my family...not as much as I would like, as not ALL papers are available yet in many locations and time periods, but it's a start!

Just found out this past Friday, the school my boys go to...their school nurse is there cousin...several times removed, but nonetheless, their cousin and I had her and her lineage in my family tree...sending my info to school with them on Monday to give to her....it's a small world afterall!

Annmarie

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Siegfried Schlagrule said:
The purists (read snobs) among genealogists state that the minimum
you should have for EACH person in your family tree is a certified copy
of the birth certificate; a certified copy of the death certificate and a
certfied copy of the marriage license - they also recommend that you do
that for each of their children and grandchildren. BULL. To do that even
only going back four generations would cost you thousands and thousands of dollars. They don't seem to realize that most folks are interested not OBSESSED.
They also say that it is somehow ILLEGAL to display a coat of arms unless
you can prove TO THEIR SATISFACTION that you are a direct descendant of
the original person that was granted the arms. TOO DAMN BAD.
I am proven to be eligible through published genealogies that the purists
accept for membership in the MAYFLOWER SOCIETY; the DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION; the GRAND ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC and the CONFEDERATE equivalent. I don't care for that type group and that type of person.
I wouldn't join their groups even if i didn't have to provide that sort of documentation to prove my connection to the published genealogies.
siegfried schlagrule

And as for documentation.....in the State of Virginia...it is hard as all get out to get copies, much less certified copies of anything without giving up your first born!!! I have tried for my sons' lineage for their connection to the SAR....forget it...it's not that important that they are members, I know, they know and I have their lineage....that's all we need! They would be connected from two different ancestral lines....however, due to one family line already having documentation in the family asssociation, they shared the documentation needed for that line, but I have YET to send it in....I guess it's not all that important.

I keep records of what I find on my subscription sites - (i.e., Draft cards, birth, death, marriage, census, passenger, family bibles, family member journals, etc)....that's my proof!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread