Brooklyn Ban

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Brooklyn Ban

It is sad to see the trend, but I will say that I understand it.

The main reason was that one idiot, who screwed it up for many, was leaving large holes. I don't blame them in one regard, as this is a standard way of dealing with a problem. 'Mass discipline.' Break out the shotgun and shoot everyone in the foot at once. That way you are assured of hitting the offender.

There are solutions here, but they are unpopular as they involve certifications, or permits.

So yes, coming to a park near you, sadly enough...

S

seger98

Looks like it's all because of one nucklehead, they didn't have to ban everyone, just not issue a pemit to the one that left the holes! :icon_scratch:

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

The positive side of this story is that the detectorists got together and the city is talking to them trying to work things out. I hope we get to hear the final outcome. It may be something the rest of us can use in the future to change things in our respective areas.

HH Charlie

K

Kentucky Kache

"But last May, city officials banned such treasure hunting after Prospect Park keepers allegedly observed and photographed one metalhead leaving craters..."

You have to wonder.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Cache Crazy said:
"But last May, city officials banned such treasure hunting after Prospect Park keepers allegedly observed and photographed one metalhead leaving craters..."

You have to wonder.

Agreed. Why wouldn't they produce the pictures? Why wouldn't they prosecute the lone offender? Vandalism seems to find nicely in this lone instance.

They cite lack of manpower to be able to watch everyone at one time....is there ever enough manpower to protect everything, everyone, at one time?
No...that's why people get murdered, that's why drug use is prevalent, that's why corporate giants walk away with millions of stolen dollars. The law simply can't be everywhere at once.

To use that as an excuse to ban something isn't a very legitimate excuse. If it were, then we should all be banned from using our cars because there are some that drive drunk and end up killing someone. This is an extremely exaggerated example for an extremely exaggerate reaction to one persons wrongs.

We are told that ignorance of the law is not an excuse. I think the inability to enforce the law is also not an excuse.

I was glad to see that detectorists' took up the cause and made the paper. I too would like to hear the outcome.

Al

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Does the squeaky wheel still get the grease?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread