The Old Prospector

Minstrel

Oct 12, 2008
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett-GTI-2500
"Gus" had been a prospector all his life, living in the mountains, earning a meager living from hard rock mining. One day he looked around and saw the last bottle, now empty more than 3 months, hardly anything on the shelves and he was getting tired of eating rabbit and hens. He decided he needed to go down the mountain and into a small town to resupply.
The very next morning before the sun was up he went to the corral and hollered at his mule "Sally" that daylight was burning and she need to get up and get loaded. He loaded his gold bags and started the long journey down the mountain and across the desert with Sally walking behind like a well trained dog.
A few days later, arriving around noon at the outskirts of Apache Wells, a way stop more than a town, just a livery, general store for trading gold for goods and a saloon. Gus was hot, tired, sweaty and covered with dust and the thing he wanted more was a big glass of whiskey. He heads straight to the saloon and as he is tying up Sally to the hitching post a young gunslinger with some friends walks out the door. Laughing loudly and looking at old Gus he says "Hey old timer, can you dance?" Old Gus just shakes his head and says "don't rightly remember if I ever learned to dance."
Laughing loudly and smiling as his friends the young gunslinger pulls out both his pistols and says "maybe this will help you remember" and begins shooting at old Gus's feet. A crowd gathers and everyone is laughing at poor old Gus hoping and skipping around trying to avoid the bullets thumping into the ground around him.
The young gunslinger empties his pistols, twirls them around and returns them to his holsters, turns to his friends and the crowd and says "guess the old fart remembered fast enough with a little help."
Suddenly the young gunslinger hears two very loud clicks and everyone is deathly quiet. Turning his head he see both barrels of a shotgun so close to his nose that they look like cannons. With just a slight grin on his face old Gus says "Young feller I only have one question for you----have you ever kissed the ass of a mule before?" Turning white faced and gulping loudly the young gunslinger says "NO, but I think I always wanted to."
THE MORAL OF THE STORY
1. Never shoot up all your ammunition
2. Don't mess with old guys---they probably will get you in the end

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Great reminder not to mess with the "experienced and wiser populaton." Nice story. Thanks for sharing.

robgwv

Feb 17, 2013
west virginia
Detector(s) used
fisher f2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was google'n somethin else and ran across this..Great lesson for us yunguns

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions