SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
S

Smee

mamabear said:
I have to replace the internal modem on my dial up 'puter for the 3rd time in 2 months. any idea why this is happening? I went for 3 years with the same one before this. Am getting frustrated! first one I had the geek squad replace it for me, lasted about 1 mth, & I replaced 1 & 2 myself. ???

Voltage in the line probably exceeds acceptable levels. It will fry one in a heartbeat. I will venture a guess you live in a rural area on an R.E.A. (Rural Electric Administration) line, because that's usually the case when I get one in.

Try running your telephone line through your surge protector (most of them have phone line plugs) or get you one with surge protection for your telephone.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
do you have an anit-virus/anti spyware program, at last count according to my program there is over 1 Million different
threats that can be easily downloaded without your knowledge. some of these can fry your system very quickly

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sure you've cleaned the dust out of the case and off the motherboard, etc., but, if you haven't, use some canned air or a compressor and blow it out good. Blow out the card slots real good. If possible, get under the motherboard too. Dust can gather static electricity and fry components, or current can flow through it shorting the machine out.

Smee probably nailed it though...a lot of computers are blown out through the phone line...happened to me once and I got a surge suppressor with phone line in/out.

Beep

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Smee's right, isolate that phone line.

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanx for the input everyone. was finally able to get a new modem & a good surge protecter for the phone line too. I hope that does the job! Yup I live in a very rural area. Did find out that I can have the phone guys come & fix the phone line surges. That would be nice. again, thanx for the help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread