Walmart attacks the Girl Scouts

mgdigger

Jan 31, 2004
Los Osos, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 and ACE 250
Walmart Takes on the Girl Scouts
05 Aug 2009 11:08 am

Apparently, Walmart wasn't satisfied with being the top media-manipulating, union-busting, soul-sucking, Nazi cake-decorating crappy-Chinese-products selling store in America. Now it's preying on Girl Scouts. Walmart has copied two of the group's signature cookies, Thin Mints and Tagalongs, and will soon sell them nationally at lower prices -- sure to cut into the do-gooders' profits, which are generated solely from cookie sales.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
That sucks.

I've marked it on my walmart sucks list. :angry4:

LJHanley06

Aug 19, 2006
Damn Commies! If you have a Wal-Mart in your town and a Girl Scout or Brownie in your Family...load up the SUV with cookies and sell them in the parking lot FROM your vehicle...when they complain...exit the vehicle and go into the Wal-Mart and buy the cheapest thing you can find...smile big as you pay for it and then make a big show of tossing it in the trash. Repeat as necessary. Be sure to explain to your patrons why you are doing this.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea But will their Prices realy be Cheaper ?

Unless they call them Girl Scout Cookies
it's no different then a Pizza Hut
moving in a town that has a Mom & Pop Pizza place.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
I don't believe the Scouts will suffer as folks buy the cookies knowing the money goes to a good cause .
Often the cookies are bought even if one doesn't like cookies and ends up discarding them.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pigiron said:
I don't believe the Scouts will suffer as folks buy the cookies knowing the money goes to a good cause .
Often the cookies are bought even if one doesn't like cookies and ends up discarding them.

Yep I Agree.

I Don't go out of my ay to Buy cookies.
No big fan.

But when they used to come to my door I Always Bought.

They havn't been here for like 20 years though.
so it's their Loss

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the last 2 posts. People buy Girl Scout cookies to help the Scout's. That is not going to change just because they can be bought cheaper somewhere else.

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Our local Walmart let's the Girl Scouts and other Fundraisers sell cookies and other stuff at the front doors. I would think that if there selling the same cookies it may help our Scouts.

Nova Treasure

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes & Because
of the big Hate wallmart & China Thing
it will actually cause some to search
out the Girl Scouts just to Buy.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
sucks when "big brother" has to have its hands in all pockets all the time. --- sam walton would roll over in his grave at this.

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
I'm no fan of Walmart, but I do have an appreciation for them since the ARE fighting becoming unionized. Wally world does not want to be destroyed by union hacks like the auto industry was.
At any rate, The girl scouts is a FOR profit organization just like Walmart. The purpose of the cookies is not so girl scouts can "do good", but rather for the company to make money :o......Gpurs...

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
GPURS said:
I'm no fan of Walmart, but I do have an appreciation for them since the ARE fighting becoming unionized. Wally world does not want to be destroyed by union hacks like the auto industry was.
At any rate, The girl scouts is a FOR profit organization just like Walmart. The purpose of the cookies is not so girl scouts can "do good", but rather for the company to make money :o......Gpurs...
I cannot agree with this "put down" statement about the Scouts activities.
http://www.gscm.org/newsmultimedia/pressreleases/attachments/2009/MDChamberAward_06092009.pdf

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost 1/3 of all Money for girl scout
Cookies keep ABC Bakers Making Money.

Not 100% Goes to the Scouts.

How much do councils pay for Girl Scout Cookies?
Less than 1/3 of the price consumers pay for a box of cookies goes to the baker, which means that most of the money raised goes to support Girl Scouting locally.

http://www.girlscoutcookiesabc.com/about.asp

the Companies who sell them their pins & Clothing Etc.
Make money off the Girl scouts.

I Believe this is what he means,
there is Profit being made.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
Almost 1/3 of all Money for girl scout
Cookies keep ABC Bakers Making Money.

Not 100% Goes to the Scouts.

How much do councils pay for Girl Scout Cookies?
Less than 1/3 of the price consumers pay for a box of cookies goes to the baker, which means that most of the money raised goes to support Girl Scouting locally.

http://www.girlscoutcookiesabc.com/about.asp

the Companies who sell them their pins & Clothing Etc.
Make money off the Girl scouts.

I Believe this is what he means,
there is Profit being made.

Well heck, Jeff--it's just like Any fundraiser. The profit margin is small for whoever sells it. If people Really wanted to help a nonprofit organization then they'd donate Money rather than buy goods. But people don't like to donate money. They'd rather get a "thing" for it, and tell themselves that they're helping a good cause while they munch down their cookies. It is simple psychology that makes such "product-oriented" campaigns much more successful than asking for monetary donations straight out.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Thanks for your reply Moderator however I believe your wrong and the truth of what GPURS meant will only come from himself.
" The girl scouts is a FOR profit organization just like Walmart"
and "The purpose of the cookies is not so girl scouts can "do good", ".

Ultimately the scouts need revenue to survive and continue with the good deed tradition.
Nobody WITHIN the scout movement is lining their pockets here with cookie profits despite almost 200 million
being sold.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pigiron said:
Thanks for your reply Moderator however I believe your wrong and the truth of what GPURS meant will only come from himself.

Ultimately the scouts need revenue to survive and continue with the good deed tradition.
Nobody WITHIN the scout movement is lining their pockets here with cookie profits despite almost 200 million
being sold.

No But amost Everyone who supplys them
is for profit and count on their revinue.

Sort of Like Child Labor (Under the Table) :tongue3:

Like Buckels suggested,
It's better to hand them a $20

& what I Say; let wallmart sell cookies

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey the scouts arn't the only
ones in the child labor buisness.

the schools are too.

Used to be seeds

Then Magazines,

now it's PTA Cards, Cheerleeders selling 50/50 raffles
& having Car washes Etc.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Fruit sales for the band and the FFA . You are doubleshafted if you have family members in the band and FFA at the same time ...... ;D
Jim

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
pigiron said:

being sold.
Hey piggy, don't get too upset with me man, I'm just passing through and making an honest statement about the girl scouts. Anybody who has been around for a few years or is halfway aware of what goes on in the world knows that the girls scouts is a FOR profit organization. If you did not know this, please do not get angry with me and assign ulterior motives to my comment. If, as you say, the scouts need revenue to survive and continue with the "good deed tradition", then they would be way ahead of the game if they just bummed the money from their parents or even cut some yards at $30 a pop..HaHaHa ;D...
And since you brought it up, I am now kind of wondering who actually has a higher profit margin, the Girl scouts or Walmart???? That will be your homework for tonight Pigiron! Do the Girl scouts actually make a higher profit from their product than Walmart? Good luck, Gpurs...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread