Another scam to watch out for!

Z

ZumbroKid

Got this on the other day: You get a email claiming you won a certain high value item. It looks like pay pal. It looks official and if you want to contest it click a certain link. if you do it pops up what looks like Pay pal my account section with a place to type in your email address and also your pass word. Check your pay pal and ebay to see if you really won something first. I believe many people are getting this new one and some will be fooled into a bad situation. Hope no one here falls for this one, Let your family and friends know.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I delete ANYTHING from EBAY or PAYPAL on sight.

I DON'T HAVE PAYPAL, So when they Ask for My info to Update,
I know it's a scam.

and IF EBay wants to contact me they can do it by Ground Mail

beeper

Sep 23, 2005
California
Yep your right Jeff, I recieved the same and almost started to fill it out andi said OH OH< something wrong here!

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Both paypal & ebay occasionally send legit emails.
They almost always do so with your name, and don't have any links to click, but rather tell you to go to their site, as you normally do, and log in.

Anything else is a scam.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, one of the suggestions eBay gives for avoiding phishing crap is to open a new window and type in their site address on the address bar and then sign in to check on the "news" or "needs" spouted about in the email.

S

Smee

I never open those emails from Ebay or Paypal. Too many phishers have friends who can help them infect your computer. How? When you open that email, it can run a script which can enable the sender to capture your password even if you log on to the legitimate sites.

I get a paypal email, it goes in the trash without opening, then I log on to my account to see if I have any messages there.

Same with ebay.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the infor......Matt

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Don't use either PayPal or EBay but have gotten emails asking for my password etc. Into the trash they go. HH

Desertfox

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread