Wal-Mart Oil Change

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, first I'll say that I'm really bad about getting routine maintenance done on my truck. I had went to Wally world to get my oil changed. After a little over a year since the last time. I know, I know.
Anyway, they page me back to the service dept. and tell me that they aren't going to change my oil because the drain plug was loose and they didn't want to take the chance that the plug or pan was stripped due to cross threading. Well, THEY were the last ones to fool with the drain plug thing. They also said something about a "torque seal" was missing from the plug AND the oil filter. They admitted that it was their stock filter that the public can not buy.
They suggested that I take it to a mechanic to get the oil changed and the plug situation fixed.
Now, I don't know whether the plug or pan are stripped, or if there's even a problem at all.
What do y'all think I ought to do? Besides taking better care of my truck!
Scott

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep take it to
a Mechanic .
Unless it is a rip off Garage
it won't Cost much over the cost
of an Oil change.

Had to have Mine Changed once.

If I can find the bill I'll let you know the Cost
at a chevy dealer for Mine. which was Shockingly Low
Considering

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$15.70 Labor (15 Minutes.)

Drain Plug $20.04

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oil Filter Adapter Gaskets $5.72

one Hour Labor $60.00

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info, Jeff.
It just burns me up that they treated me like that. I really don't have time to go to a dealer or mechanic and they might have to schedule a couple of days meaning I'm on foot. On foot=no work=loss of income.
Sheesh.
Don't reckon I'll EVER shop at Wally world again. :nono:
Scott

PS. They explained to me that the "torque seals" were a device of some sort that they place on the plug and filter to demonstrate if anyone had fooled with it. I guess a safety seal or something.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not Familiar with the torque seal myself
so not 100% sure that's the same.

Also the Fact I Use a Dealer & My Jimmy seems
to cost alot more to fix then most Vehicles,
Especially at $60.00 an Hour
& Genuine Chevy Parts.

I would say you may get away with Half the cost
at a Local Mechanic.

Especially since the Filter job on mine
took 3 Gaskets.

I Understand your Frustration, But
My opinion Wallmart Oil Changers
are wanna Be Mechanics & Mechanic school drop outs.
Who by Wally's Fear of Legal action
only allow their workers to Do
simple things.

Just like Radio Shack Employees
are not allowed to Install watch Batteries

& ATT Employees Can't
Download a Ring Tone on your Phone
at their shop.

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
We have "Take Ten's" (10 min oil changes), here in OK.
They do a pretty good job.
I can't remember what they charge. :dontknow:

TW

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
AU24K said:
Ok, first I'll say that I'm really bad about getting routine maintenance done on my truck. I had went to Wally world to get my oil changed. After a little over a year since the last time. I know, I know.
Anyway, they page me back to the service dept. and tell me that they aren't going to change my oil because the drain plug was loose and they didn't want to take the chance that the plug or pan was stripped due to cross threading. Well, THEY were the last ones to fool with the drain plug thing. They also said something about a "torque seal" was missing from the plug AND the oil filter. They admitted that it was their stock filter that the public can not buy.
They suggested that I take it to a mechanic to get the oil changed and the plug situation fixed.
Now, I don't know whether the plug or pan are stripped, or if there's even a problem at all.
Scott
That's absolutely nuts. Wal-Mart is really good about covering themselves like that, always CYA. I took my truck in for a slow leak I had on one of the tires I had bought from them about a year before. I wasn't asking them to replace it or anything, just to patch the leak.

They called me, intercom-wise, and said that they wouldn't patch the tire because the hole was within 2 inches of the sidewall. I thought to myself, "How much of the tire isn't within 2 inches of the sidewall?" But I accepted his explanation, and he said that if I stopped by the local tire discounter in town, they would fix it no problem.

So, it wasn't as much a safety issue as a CYA issue.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
af1733 said:
AU24K said:
Scott
That's absolutely nuts. Wal-Mart is really good about covering themselves like that, always CYA. I took my truck in for a slow leak I had on one of the tires I had bought from them about a year before. I wasn't asking them to replace it or anything, just to patch the leak.

They called me, intercom-wise, and said that they wouldn't patch the tire because the hole was within 2 inches of the sidewall. I thought to myself, "How much of the tire isn't within 2 inches of the sidewall?" But I accepted his explanation, and he said that if I stopped by the local tire discounter in town, they would fix it no problem.

it is Illegal here in PA
to Fix a Flat by
Plugging a Hole in the Sidewall
not sure on a patch.

I used to Purchase Tubes in those cases

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
jeff of pa said:
af1733 said:
AU24K said:
Scott

it is Illegal here in PA
to Fix a Flat by
Plugging a Hole in the Sidewall
not sure on a patch.

I used to Purchase Tubes in those cases
I'll never claim to know much about tires, but is the sidewall where the tread ends and the smooth portion of the tire, with the lettering, begins? So, would "within 2 inches of the sidewall" still be in the treads?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't Know much Either
but I Would say Anywhere but the Treads
would be refused

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Instead of Wally World, I should have went to Wally's. At least Gomer knew his stuff when it comes to cars!
Scott

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a guy at one of the 10 min lubes here tell me a Wallmart manager took his vehicle there to get the oil changed, tells you a lot.......

Personally I H-A-T-E Walmart, more for the people that shop there, then the products sold there........

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
I use Wal-Mart for all my vehicles. I have one day available for that
sort of thing and it is sunday. They are the only ones doing that work
then. I also change my oil every 6-7000 miles and not the 3000 that
the lawyers recommend. Any vehicle I have will beat 250,000 miles unless it gets totalled by a deer or a nutjob. siegfried schlagrule

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, after weighing all my options from finding a lawyer and suing to just crying, I've decided to crawl under the truck and do the work myself. Sheesh, I hate working on cars. When I was younger, I didn't mind working on my vehicles. In fact, family and friends used to come to me for car repairs. And I'm so good hearted I only charged for parts.
So.....I'll get a heli-coil and new drain plug just in case. New filter and oil. I've got to do a brake job also. Probably go ahead and change the plugs while I'm getting all greasy. I'll go ahead and grease the front end fittings, too.
The old maxim still holds true: If you want it done right, do it yourself.
Take that, Wal-Mart! :tongue1:
Scott

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can still do it Yourself It sure saves alot.

I Used to with my older Vehicles.

Will still change my oil on occasions

But pretty much
let others do everything else
these days

Don't even Pack a Jack anymore.

AAA Can do that.

S

stefen

As with purchasing any product or service, I always patronize those that are the most qualified or professional.

If I get burned once...shame on them
If I get burned twice...shame on me

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well many have no mechanical know how and some know how and don't want to fool with wrenching anymore.

But my deal is, "NOBODY" wrenches on my vehicles but me, if I don't know it, I get a book and figure it out!

I used to have a motorcycle shop and when business was really slow I would advertise working on cars. This lady called me as her daughters car wasn't shifting right when driving. I told her to bring it in and I would look at it and she could wait until I found out the problem.

When she got to my shop she said her daughter just had both the engine and tranny oil changed at Wally Worthless. Of course the engine oil was fine, but this SUV didn't have a tranny dip stick. So that meant I had to get under the SUV while it was running and took off the inner plug from the drain plug and "Holy Crap Batman!" I ended up draining almost 3 quarts of tranny fluid out of it. This type of vehicle has 2 drain plugs. One plug fits inside the other plug and has a tube for the tranny fluid level. When you fill the tranny from the plug on the side of the tranny you let the vehicle run and when fluid starts to run out of the inner tube of the inner plug, stop filling it up and let the excess fluid run out until it quits dripping. Then put the inner plug back into the drain plug.

I know it is a lot of info I typed but to give you guys some insight.

I test drove the vehicle with her riding along and the SUV shifted just fine and no problems except Wally Worthless Wrenchless Wonderers!

Needless to say I didn't charge the woman anything as it only took me 15 minutes and I really didn't have to break a sweat and she was right under the hood and next to the vehicle there while I checked everything and showed her what I had to drain out. She was happy and told me she was going to recommend all her friends to come get service work and repairs from me. She said she was going to tell her daughter to just stick with groceries at Wally Worthless and stay away from thier Wrenchless Wonderers.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
AU24K said:
Well, after weighing all my options from finding a lawyer and suing to just crying, I've decided to crawl under the truck and do the work myself. Sheesh, I hate working on cars. When I was younger, I didn't mind working on my vehicles. In fact, family and friends used to come to me for car repairs. And I'm so good hearted I only charged for parts.
So.....I'll get a heli-coil and new drain plug just in case. New filter and oil. I've got to do a brake job also. Probably go ahead and change the plugs while I'm getting all greasy. I'll go ahead and grease the front end fittings, too.
The old maxim still holds true: If you want it done right, do it yourself.
Take that, Wal-Mart! :tongue1:
Scott
:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread