Rules and Regs for Turkey

cassbiz

Feb 17, 2007
Schmölln, Germany
Detector(s) used
OKM, Whites, JW Fisher, Mala
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all, have a big question for those who have traveled to Turkey and gone hunting there. I am planning on going there next month and want to know what restrictions I will be facing at customs.

I know they allow treasure hunting but will they allow my detectors?

Please let me know or direct me to the right forum.

Thanks in advance!!

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good planning on getting started with acquisition of information a month ahead. I would suggest checking the on line consulate for Turkey and ask for information. However, you should consult multiple sources to get a better "feel" of what is allowed and what could cause problems.
Best of luck!
Scott

OP
OP
cassbiz

cassbiz

Feb 17, 2007
Schmölln, Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have checked online both the Turkish and US travel advisory web sites and there is nothing forbidding treasure hunting. The also have a ton of metal detector dealers in Turkey so I am presuming that, at this moment, it is OK. Just looking for someone who has been there to hunt for their experience in going through customs.

And for the Deep Fried Turkey, I needed a laugh this morning :)

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey cassbiz just a off the wall thought , if you cant find out anything threw the embassy , why not contact a dealer in Turkey an see if they can answe your question or even turn you on to any helpful info .It's just a thought . :icon_thumright: good luck

OP
OP
cassbiz

cassbiz

Feb 17, 2007
Schmölln, Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay I did find out some more. I will need an endorsement letter from my sponsor over there and it has to be acknowledged by an official so that I do not have any problems in customs. Even though they say it is only 1 out of 50 that is randomly inspected at customs I don't want to take that chance.

Tank69 I will be contacting a dealer over there, since I will be using OKM equipment to see if they are willing to sponsor me. Then I can claim training or something similar. I think they may be willing to help.

I will keep this thread open for a bit to notify all of you of my progress.

Thanks for the help! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread