onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
monty, Im not one to brag but my running total is 207 in my yard since January 2008 I was blowing there heads off for a while but the blood was hard to get off my siding (white) so I tried the electric fence post charger Believe me the little buggers got smart after a while and would send a dumb one up the post. that one would go flying into the bush and it would blow the fuse, then the others would scamper up the post to feast on the bird feeder.Later I went to 110 till the fun ran out. also tried the glue traps, was great seeing these tree rats running around with 3x5 black plastic glue boards stuck to their asses ,feet, head paws etc. paint balls knocks the wind right out of them and they run around in circles for a while. Now I just trap them and take them to a local swamp there is one tree about 50 yards into the swamp I figure the tree looks like getto housing by now, its about 5 miles and they don t come back cause I v sprayed there tails many times and have never recaught a blue tailed squirrel. Still catching them, but now its chip monk season its a bitch being retired.Thinking about a 50 cal next year..

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
:hello2: :icon_thumright: ;D :toothy2: :icon_salut: What a hoot you are onfire. My mother also traps and paints their tails international orange (hunter orange), then sets them loose 7 miles away. She has never seen them again! But she is surrounded by oaks and she has a new use for them now, fertilizer for her gardens, she puts the trap , into the dunk tank. Sorta humane ( I think ) also the neighbor behind her has an english walnut tree, in the 50 years that they have had that tree, they never got a nut off of it, the squirrels harvest them while still in their green hulls and dig up mom's flowers to bury them. then when they are ripe, they dig 'em back up again..........Kind of like a vicious cycle and a never ending battle............NGE

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've gotten over 100 since the first of the year. How's that for body count?

I use a 12 gauge and #8 shot. One shot, one kill, into my fifth box of shells.

'Course I live out of town.

They are destructive lil' buggers, and make a mess, steal all my fruit off the trees and bushes, steal all my pecans, chew into the attic, cut the branches off the ends of the American Holly trees lining my driveway when the berries are red, tear up my birdfeeders..... it goes on and on.

But I do have about the best Fiest one can have, she works from home, got a bird feeder right outside her office window, and she "alerts" when one is outside with "SQUIRREL" in a loud voice. I ask where while grabbing the 12 gauge, she vectors me in, and bye-me-bye, one less tree rat 'round heah...

The battle continues.............

Robin

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At 0759 another one bit the dust..... well, not dust, the leaves are wet as it rained last night.

I 'uz sittin' at the Fiest's chair, drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes, surfing the web, and one came and attacked the bird feeder.

I hate squirrels...

The battle continues.....

Robin

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make that two this AM...

At 0810 The Fiest was sitting on the front porch drinking coffee and alerted.

The WAR continues....

Robin

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Gee robin, when did squirrel season begin :icon_thumright:? Anytime one shows up? :laughing9:..........NGE

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Squirrel season in The Peach State is 15 Aug-28 Feb as stated in the printed DNR Regs.....

In MY yard, it's when one shows up......

Robin

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
Wow, I'm jealous of you guys that get to use a shotgun! I think there is something in my neighborhood association rules and bylaws that mentions we are not allowed to varmint hunt with a shotgun :D! It has forced me to become a sharpshooter with my Crossman model 1377 pellet pistol (no scope). Good luck and happy huntin! Gpurs....

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to go out to my hunting lease and hunt them to eat with my little Mobbverg .410 pump. But I can't use it here in the city limits and the destructive little devils have ruined all the fun of squirrel hunting out in the woods. My stupid neighbor has several bird feeders and the squirrels empty them in short order. My stupid neighbor is an ex-con who once was selling weed out his side door but somehow he got caught! Even after I warned him. Imagine that. Oh, the traffic was keeping me awake at night with the loud booming of the stereos. Some of them made my windows rattle! His stupider older brother is doing time now for manufacture of meth. What a bunch of worthless slugs. They had the nerve to sign up for the neighborhood watch, even while the whole neighborhood was watching them! That's what I meant when referring to the neighbors being as bad as the squirrels. Monty

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Git 'em Monty....I retired from the phone comp after 30 some years and you wouldn't believe the amount of trouble calls we had that were directly attributable to them danged bushy tailed rats. The dumb thing is that these same folks were feeding them in the back yards. And then they actually wondered why their phone was always on the fritz. We got grief from them as we were considered the problem. Go figure!
I used to set a #110 connibear (killer trap, collapses around their neck and back simultaneously) up on some phone cables and this helped in the neighborhoods where you would not get away with a little varmit shooting. Very effective. People just thought they got tangled up in some wires or something. :laughing9:

BW

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find someone in your area that ties his own flies,the tails make great flies for fishing. :icon_thumleft:

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Have you ever seena squirrel carrying off a peach? Hillariou to watch. They have to tilt it back in thier mouth , neck bent way back over thier back. Id love to find a pic of it, I saw it once it was hillarious.

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
My neighbors griped because # 8 shot was pattering on their roof, theDNR convinced that that was better than a .22 short that will penetrat through a varmit and carry on a long way. 12 ga is great. My big cat catches the red squirrels. Bob

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dog Digsy barks at them but won't really tangle with one. But she isn't much bigger than a big buck squirrel anyway. She weighs 15 lb. I don't think I ever said but these are all fox squirrels. Most of the grays are on further east in the mountainous (Ozarks) or down south in the piney woods (Kiamichi mts). Monty

S

stefen

Monty,

You are fortunate that you don't live in Southern California where 250 square mile forest fires are prevalent, the Mojave Green Rattler is 40 times more deadly than a common Diamond Back Rattler, and the Squirrelalope is crossbreeding with the Red and Grey squirrels.

The Squirrelalope is becoming a hazard in the Riverside and San Bernardino mountain communities and unlike the Red and Greys, will stand its ground, and at times will charge if cornered. The miniature rack is extremely sharp and can penetrate vehicle tires.

Here in the mountain community of Idyllwild, high above Palm Springs, there is an open season on this pest. Generally a .410 gauge with No. 7 shot is adequate to dispel this critter. Personally, I use a .45/.410 Judge revolver which has killing power (.410) up to 12 - 20 yards. The 45 ACP, if used will flatter the buggers...a fascinating sight.

Actually, I'm waiting until this 104 degree weather abates and when the first snow hits, I'm going to find and kill a wall-mountable trophy.

I have attached a sketch provided by the U.S. Forestry Service.

Attachments

• 45-410 JUDGE.jpg
    45-410 JUDGE.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 622
  • SQUIRRELOPE.jpg
    SQUIRRELOPE.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 655
OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have similar critters here and in Texas only they are a mix with an antelope and a jackrabbit. Nasty little boogers but won't ordinarily attack. They are of course called a Jackalope. I was told by another Tnetter that the squirrels were arming themselves too. It could be hazardous. But I operate much like a sniper, shooting from concealment and they don't know what hit them. Monty

S

stefen

Monty,

Apparently, the Jackalope migrated to the Mojave desert area north of the LA / Palmdale Airport and are considered to be in the trophy class.

A special hunting permit is required and its limited to bucks only...in fact, the season begins October 3rd and runs for 21 days with a limit of 2 bucks in possession.

Gov Schwarzenegger, in his infinite wisdom, recently placed this animal on the endangered list and recommended herd thinning every 5 years until stabilization.

There has been several poaching incidents that have were posted recently and the hunters may be heavily fined if found guilty.

Snake gators are recommended for protection.

Attachments

• JACKALOPE.jpg
    JACKALOPE.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 610
OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stefen, that's the very critter I was talking about. I haven't been able to bag one yet. They are just too fast for my aging eyes. They have been clocked as the only animal that can outrun a cheeta and they are so small you just mainly see a swirl of dust. The also don't make a sound audible to the human ear. If the ever turn to eating meat, they could be very dangerous. They are not a new species however. They were known to exist in the middle ages but there was no photographic equipment yet invented so no record is found except in the movie, "Monty Python In Search of the Holy Grail". One went carnivorous, lived in a cave and took many lives. It took the Holy Handgrenade of Antioch to kill him. And it's about time for my usual disclaimer: All of this information is 100% true and correct except for the part I made up. Monty

S

stefen

Monty,

Knowing your interest in the critters, thought you'd enjoy this picture of a rare trophy that is showcased in Cabella's main headquarters along with guns and other hunting paraphernalia.

They're about as scarce as grouse teeth (or snake armpits).

Just to see one is an incredible thrill. Owning one is utopia.

This World-Record Jackalope has a monster rack and was professionally mounted by a taxidermist in South Dakota, an area also known for numerous jackalope sightings.

Kinda curious as how they taste...possibly, similar to cottontails.

Do you have any recipes?

Attachments

• World Record Jackalope.jpg
    World Record Jackalope.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 564
OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang things taste like chicken! But what don't? I've only tasted one and it was cooked by a Texan. Being use to beef, it was so rare I had to stab it with my fork to get it to hold still long enough to take a bite. Yep, chicken! Or maybe alligator that also tastes like chicken? Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread