Monty 15 Squirrels 0

S

stefen

Monty,

Interesting that you said the Jack taste like chicken...I contacted a U. S. Game Warden friend of mine and he sent me pictures, supposedly very rare, of Jackalope eggs.

After some research, I assume that I will be able to find a source, and develop a hatchery for commercial purposes. Hmmm

Special events like graduations, birthdays, anniversaries, and holidays such as Easter, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas and Channuka, roasted Jacaklope can be substituted for the more traditional pork roast and hams...the new 'White Meat'.

Any thoughts?

Ivan,

I acknowledge that CWH is not worldly due to his youth, however, at some point he will learn that you don't screw with Mother Nature. Hmmm, you can screw Mother Nature but don't ever screw with her...did I say that correctly?

Anyways, some people, myself included, don't always listen or heed the advice of our elders and must learn from life's lessons.

Attachments

• Jackalope Eggs.jpg
    Jackalope Eggs.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 539

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty
Congratulations and good luck with the harvest this year. I also bought the RWS Diana in .177 and put a fixed power scope on it some years back.On a good rainy day I could crack all my windows and doors and hunt all areas around the house. A good day would be about 15. The cat got to where he heard the crack of the rifle and would run looking for the squirell. Saved me many cans of cat food and he loves squirells.
One day I had shot one and it hung up in a tree in the front yard. I re-cocked and loaded and went outside to knock it off the limb. A lady pulled up asking directions as I hid the rifle behind my leg. I heard a scratching noise and the squirrel fell off the limb right by her window. She looked at me and hit the gas. I cracked up. My neighbors (all animal lovers) have now given me free range to shoot into their yards as well due to the destruction they cause. I do not mind seeing one or two but when they are humping on the trees and you see 20.. well... let out a slow breath and slowly squeeze the trigger.
Happy huntin
TnMountains

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All kidding aside, I think they are fun to watch and I have taken my grandaughters to the big park and let them feed the squirrels peanuts. They'll come right up and take them out of your hand. But after being out several hundred dollars in damages and being down for my tv, phone and computer, they have no place in my neighborhood. I had # 16 in my sights yesterday and missed! I hardly ever miss and I don't know if the squirrel was more surprised than me! He was only about 15' away! Oh well, it's just a matter of time. I know I can't get them all, but as long as I keep them thinned out they do mimimal damage. Monty

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't know Jackalopes laid eggs. They must have crossbred with the Easter Bunny? That sneaky odd crusty Easter Bunny that all kids love is a pervert after all! Another childhood hero down the drain.

Wow, tnmountains, you must really have a problem to get 15 a day. What do you do with the carcasses? I freeze mine so they don't go bad and put them out with the trash on pickup day. But I can't imagine filling up my container with vermin corpses! Monty

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hardly ever see them around the house anymore the cats didn't like them either! Hehe!

But then we have coons now we caught one baby and the next the mom but have not seen the other 4 in 3 days so......

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
I do not hate squirrels but have never had them to ruin anything. I live in the country so they have plenty of food in the woods and don't bother me. I love to hunt them when season is in and as I said before, I love to eat them.

They also make great pets. I cut a dead tree from my yard last year and...Well the pic says it all.

Attachments

• toshia.JPG
    toshia.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 550
OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a friend in high school who had a pet squirrel. We use to play with him quite a bit. He went nuts one day and nearly ate my friends hand. It took several stitches to sew up the cuts and punctures. Then he had to kill the squirrel, cut off his head and send it in to the health department to be tested for rabis. Luckily he didn't have rabis, just got pissed off about something I guess. Another guy had a pet racoon he raised from a tiny thing. Same thing happened to him . You have to be aware that wild critters are just that and haven't been domesticated for thousands of years like our dogs and cats. And even they can go berserk sometimes for no known reason. Monty P.S. Hold real still and I think I can pop that squirrel right off your cap without harming a hair on our head.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty
We are all Hickory and Oaks so the squirels are many. After I get done I use a couple of those plastic bags from the grocery. I walk around and fill them up and tie them. My garbage come once a week so depending upon the day its not to bad. The cats always eats one. Rain today,hmmmmm. Today is opening bow in Tennessee :sign13:
Good luck Monty
TnMtns

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
You eat squirrels.........ugh.... they are tree rats :o.... what other sorts of wild critters do you eat?.... am gagging at the thought of eating a squirrel.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unicorn said:
You eat squirrels.........ugh.... they are tree rats :o.... what other sorts of wild critters do you eat?.... am gagging at the thought of eating a squirrel.

My cat likes them :dontknow: Last time I was in New York Venison was served at around $80.00. Now that its the new health food. I like wild cows best though. :thumbsup:

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unicorn some people .... some mind you ! Eat coons and possom and squirrels and all the hoved sritters snakes and all sorts shelled things like turtles and armidillos and such plus snakes just about anything :P :laughing7:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
unicorn you are a nice person --however remember in many parts of the world --meats meat --eat any and everything is the motto --cats ,dogs , bugs and everything else is protein -- thankfully you've had the luxury of being able to be "picky" and only eat what you choose to and have most likely never even had to butcher whatever meat you eat once in your life time -- to you meat comes in nice little stryofoam packages from the store , not from "real" animals -- I know where my meat comes from and am not afriad to get "fresh meat"-- be it wild hog, fish , fowl, deer or other "game meat" for myself now and then.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Unicorn said:

If it looks good, eat it. :wink:

Actually, squirrels have the most flavor of any meat I have ever had. There's just not much there. :-\

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Unicorn said:
You have been fortunate to have never been really hungry . Any fresh protein is welcome when you get real hungry and much of it is quite tasty .

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
truckinbutch said:
Unicorn said:
You have been fortunate to have never been really hungry . Any fresh protein is welcome when you get real hungry and much of it is quite tasty .

Hey Butch, I think we sould post some of those other wild critters we eat. Sounds like a good thread to me. It's a little too warm now, but this winter I can show you some really good grilled, baked, boiled and fried critters. :thumbsup:

S

Smee

truckinbutch said:
Unicorn said:
Us folks from south Louisiana eat Nutrea, Aligator (He'd eat you!), crabs, crawfish, ducks, and some things you probably wouldn't want to know about.

How do you think people have survived for thousands of years before the 7/11 came along?

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Smee ,
That'd be a great thread to start . You south Losianner folk showed me some of the finest hospitality and best cookin I've ever experienced over the years I was on the road .

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
truckinbutch said:
Smee ,
That'd be a great thread to start . You south Losianner folk showed me some of the finest hospitality and best cookin I've ever experienced over the years I was on the road .

Some of the best food I ever ate was in south Louisiana, south Mississippi, south Texas. It's all the same.

You guys rock when it comes to cookin critters. :headbang:

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you grew up in a rural setting you will eat just about any critter that hs meat on it's bones and not think anything about it. I grew up on an acerage out in the woods so to speak.Went hunting every day after school and brought home many squirrels and rabbits. Never did much care for 'possums or armadillos and the raccoons were mostly nocturnal. 'possums eat carion and I wouldn't eat a buzzard either.

Country fried squirrel: Take two or more freshly cleaned squirrels cut into portions. Roll in seasoned flour and pop them into very hot cooking oil and cook until brown. Pour off most of the grease, stir in a tablespoon of flour salt and pepper to taste and half a cup of water. Simmer covered for about an hour or until the flour and water form a gravy like consistancy. Remove and serve with fresh steamed veggies and some buttermilk biscuits. Chow down and enjoyi! (Some people who are sensitive to the "gamy" taste of game animals might want to soak them over night in milk to remove a lot of the gamy taste. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread