Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
S

Smee

On another note about those "Flourescent bulbs" that go into a regular light socket to replace an incandesant bulb:

Besides the mercury (more than you think) - when they die, they give off a HORRIBLE ODOR which did make my wife ill and the WHOLE house really stank for about 3 days. You can pull out the bulb and throw it away, but the odor sticks around.

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That previous post is an older link.( 5 monthes ago). I have more links.
Get the old bulbs, If you can. Mr. Mo bought many of the older bulbs from yard sales.
Yes, they want to Tax on us on yard sales too!
Mrs Mojjax

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
It's a bunch of BS, the amount of mercury in a CF lightbulb is insanely small.

One CFL contains a hundred times less mercury than is found in a single dental amalgam filling or old-style glass thermometer, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lasivian said:
It's a bunch of BS, the amount of mercury in a CF lightbulb is insanely small.

One CFL contains a hundred times less mercury than is found in a single dental amalgam filling or old-style glass thermometer, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

Geez, I posted that and it got deleted. Must be because I specified rectal thermometer :laughing7:

OP
OP
O

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some think the merc. is harmless but go ahead and break one or two and call your city epa help line give them your name and ask them how to clean it up also memtion you have small children that play in the area you ll find out what bs is.

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
onfire said:
Some think the merc. is harmless but go ahead and break one or two and call your city epa help line give them your name and ask them how to clean it up also memtion you have small children that play in the area you ll find out what bs is.

So should we be a nanny state and stop people with small children from buying light bulbs that might be a hazard if they break in an area where those children play?

The same people have knives in their kitchen that *might* cut said child, but at what point is the consumer the responsible one?

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is BS. The whole story isn't being told here. The Maine DEP referred the person to a hazmat contractor. He quoted her the 2 grand figure and she taped the room shut. The Maine DEP sent someone when she told them what happened. She did end up having to replace some carpet because it sat for so long. To clean a broken CFL, sweep it up and dump it into a plastic bag. Use tape to pick up anything left, then throw that into the bag too. Seal the bag and turn it in when your county has universal waste collection.

It isn't any different than nicad or lithium batteries, you're supposed to turn them in as universal waste too, but how many people do?

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Changing all of my bulbs in the house to the energy saver bulbs has reduced my electric bill by 40 dollars a month. Likewise dropping the temp on the thermostat to 65. I also just got rid of an ancient mercury thermostat and replaced it with a digital one. I was able to take the merc thermostat to Home Depot and they disposed of it for free. This thing contained several grams of liquid mercury.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Taking a Selenium supplement of 200mcg a day should prevent any possibility of mercury poisoning.
Although Selenium can be found in red meat, the American staple diet, the US soils are seriously deficient
in this element.
Of course this element is also of benefit in preventing cancers especially prostate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread