greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I was born in the middle of the last century.
As I grew up I had many Heroes.
Hop-Along Cassidy, Roy Rogers, John Wayne, Red Skelton, etc.
As I grow older it seem every week brings notice of the passing of a great person.

Today I heard some good news.
Today is Jack LaLanes 95th birthday.
Maybe just us older folks remember him but he was/is a health Guru before such a word was used.
Exercise and good foods is his mantra. He did amazing things showing his strength.
Saw him pulling a barge while swimming. That kind of stuff.

I don't know if todays young folks have heroes.
Can a child hope to emulate a talking sponge?
I know lots of young folks try to be like rap singers(?) that curse everything and wear strange clothing.
Yes there are occasional news items of a pilot landing an airliner in the water and saving a lot of people
but most kids do not watch the news.
Cop shows and "Reality" shows take up most of TV.
If you do not have a "Barbie" figure or an IQ of 300 you are lost.

Anyway, Happy Birthday Jack LaLane :hello2 :icon_thumright:
My last Heroe? (Maybe oldest)

Grey

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
My parents divorced in 1951 and most of my heroes were the men(and other people) in my family that took a weekend to pay attention to us kids to make sure we had some what of a stable life and went the direct we needed to go in life. There were all the heroes on the big screen also. But it was the family that gave me great detail in the little things as well as the big things in life that connected the dots that keep me going.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the mentioned people definitely have hero status, but my favorite "old time" hero has always been Bob Hope.

I always admired the man for his work for our troops. Many many years, he spent his holidays and family time, across the ponds, where our men and women served. Along with him, Brooke Shields, who went overseas every year since she was 2 or 3 years old, and still does.

There is something special about people who take from themselves to give to give to the special people of our country.

B

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shucks Beth, you are too close and realize that he, like us, has feet of clay. but I nominate Roy, 'ORO" as my hero, even if he makes lousy, buggy, coffee and won't get his hair cut..

Don Jose de La Mancha

Pudsbrat

Aug 21, 2004
Mena Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,Garrett ProPointer....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all, all heroes arent dead....we have the men and women of the US armed forces that serve and have served this country......yes some of them are no longer here with us but they are heroes as well..... :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
greydigger

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh, Gosh,
No I don't mean to put down our present Heroes.
All in the military. All Fathers ( YES ) and Mothers ( YES ) and others are Heroes.
I was talking about what is pushed at our kids to be good.

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
A shortie Coke, can of Vienna sausage, a small wedge of hook cheese, a small package of crackers, and a apple. A crisp and cool winter day sitting on a log eating lunch with my father in White Oak bottom just South of Milledgeville TN during a Quail hunt. I was taught so much during these lunches by my Dad about being a good person, heck a good man. He is gone on now, but his lessons never leave me. I really liked Evel Knievel, but he could never hold a light to my Pop, the ULTIMATE HERO of my life. I wish all children could have a man like him to be their Hero.

Pudsbrat

Aug 21, 2004
Mena Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,Garrett ProPointer....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you meant....it is true about John Wayne, Roy Rogers and Lone Ranger.......kids now days need some positive role models....so many kids nowdays dont have a father figure in their lives.....they need someone to look up to...used to be sports figures....but nowdays some many are into all sorts of illegal activities.....and their antics on and off the field.....some of them are still trying but some of them are way out of bounds.....and Lord knows you cant look to the President of the United States for guidance :help:...He cant even run a country, much less be a role model.... :thumbsup:

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Dunno about Reagan either. I think a lot of the good that came from his president came on accident, and little of it was his fault. I think people took advantage of him throughout his presidency, and come on, someone had to have known he was exhibiting signs of Alzheimer's while still in office.

Basically, every president does some good, some bad, and a whole lot of stupid.....but that is because they are politicians. Almost no politician is worthy of adoration. Ben Franklin is one of my heros, actually. As far as tv personalities? Mr Wizard, and Fred Rogers are two of my top picks.

ole_grisley

Nov 23, 2007
Lycomming Co Pa
Detector(s) used
treasure cove
There is a lot of people out there today that can be called heros just to name a couple (Jerry Lewis) For the work he does for special kids, and people do not even know but a Pro Wrestler that was called one of the dirty guys used a lot of his money to fund childrens homes and did a lot for children and he went on to holly wood and kept doing for kids. We do not hear the good people do but when it's bad the media is quick to jump on it. the big brothers and sisters that reach out to kids are heros too.
a lot of kids can be reached by talking with them not at them.so be a hero to one any one can do it.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, happy birthday Jack Lalane. You could sure do a lot of push-ups anyway. Didn't really relate to my life. My dad, my grandpas, my uncles, they were my male heroes. And you left out perhaps the best all time hero of all, who made the coolest movies, and died way too young. No, not James Dean, but Audie Murphy. A genuine hero who didn't try to act like it. Sorry you're gone but I'll never forget you. Thanks for your service to our country, too.

OP
OP
greydigger

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Did not know Audie died young.
I was a kid when I saw his movies.
Just recently read about his WWII stuff and he was a hero.

Some on here put down President Reagan.
I liked his movies too.
I sat 10 feet in front of him when he was campaining once.
Still liked the guy and his responces to questions.
Had a pic from an old movie he did on my wall at work after he got elected.
In the movie he was a Sheriff with a rifle in his hands telling the lynching mob to go away.
I recall something about foreign affairs about that time he was President also.
Berlin Wall? Soviet Union dismantled? I don't remember.

My kids are up and out on their own. Doing OK.
I am of the "Boomer" generation.
Then I guess we have the "why" generation? or is it "X".
Anyway I find it sad to see sports heroes being bad and music stars
making millions of dollars saying bad things.

Yes there are modern heroes.
The Mother who works 2 jobs because some lame XXXX left her.
Same with the Father in that situation.
I have seen both.
TV news here only does the bad stories.
There was a song about that.
Wish young folks could see goodness in life.

Grey

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread