Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pigiron said:
I concur Jeff and it appears to be successful as no retaliation has happened (that we know of).

Problem may be they Have(Had) No weapons of
Mass Destruction like we do.
In order to live together out there they may have realized
there are more Imortant things then Fighting.

Of course IF some have Survived & They are
Like us,
Expect a Shuttle or Space station Disaster,
Which will be Explained away as a Fuel
Leak. or space debris strike.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
it was a big waste of money.
maybe some people don't realize this, but, if you use an explosion and change the rotation of the moon around the earth, it will have a dramatic change on the weather patterns on earth. the gravitational fields that surround the moon is what determines the changing of the tides on our oceans.
now, I'm not a tree hugger, but, changing something that has that much power is a bad thing, IMHO

Sniffer

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
If they can find water on the Moon it will help when they build outposts there. The sooner we can get off this pathetic dirtball the better. I support all space exploration. We need to go OUT and UP and this was a scientific experiment not a fireworks display for us to "ooh and ahh" at.

The real waste is 11 billion on multiple helicopters for ONE man or hundreds of billions sent to Africa for pretty much nothing.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, give them a little credit - at least they hit what they were aiming at - not like the time they "forgot" to convert from metric to english measurements (and lost 2 very expensive satellites). :dontknow:

B

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sniffer said:
maybe some people don't realize this, but, if you use an explosion and change the rotation of the moon around the earth, it will have a dramatic change on the weather patterns on earth. the gravitational fields that surround the moon is what determines the changing of the tides on our oceans.
now, I'm not a tree hugger, but, changing something that has that much power is a bad thing, IMHO

Sniffer

absolutely !
One of the first things I thought
about was What If they had split it in Half
on a Unknown Fault.

Or moved it enough to change the tides.

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
What did we get for the hundreds of billions of dollars KBR got in Iraq contracts? It was not a missile shot at the moon, it was a part of a rocket, no warhead. Next, NASA has plenty of important scientific work to do, and have made many contributions to things you use every day. Ever hear of VELCRO?

Some people just complain about everything, whether they have the slightest idea of what they are talking about or not.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The word I herd from an airforce buddy of mine is,that they are trying out a new type of a bunker busting bomb that can burrow down a mile or more and they can't do that here on earth without other country's satellite's spying on us,so lets take it to the moon.

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
That is about the most ridiculous thing I have heard today. If we sent something like that out into space, it would be picked up by several countries surveillance systems.

What is this "air force buddies" job?

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, Libralabsoldier,

Glad to see you back and posting - haven't seen/heard from you for a couple of months. How are you doing!

B

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
I have been better....but I am surviving. College courses, home improvement projects and some lingering problems related to my Iraq service are cutting down on my time spent here.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Sniffer said:

Sniffer
We are already seeing dramatic weather changes around the globe as it heats up. Will collisions/explosions in the future be a deliberate attempt to correct this imbalance.
The largest nuclear explosion on the earth to date was 50Megaton by the "Tsar Bomba" in 1969.
Would this have been enough to alter the moons orbit ?

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
$79M

OK for a project that I think I understand sent a big bomb into the moon.
To see what happens.

Um, we had a Presidential election not too long ago that cost a bunch more than that.

Another 1 shot deal.

The US military is spending 87 gazillion dollars every day. ( I think I exagerate ) .

Well, a basic thought is where is this money coming from and going to?

I am lead to believe gov. money comes from taxes.

If I don't make any money there are no taxes.

If I make bullets, rocket fuel, vehicles to carry them, food, political advertisements, etc. I make money.
They take 30% of my money.

I also get work to make money from the people who do these things.
Paid out of that 30%

Am I not understanding something?
Grey

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
pigiron said:
Sniffer said:

Sniffer
We are already seeing dramatic weather changes around the globe as it heats up. Will collisions/explosions in the future be a deliberate attempt to correct this imbalance.
The largest nuclear explosion on the earth to date was 50Megaton by the "Tsar Bomba" in 1969.

The mass of the earth is 5.9742 × 10^24 metric tons. (or 5,974,200,000,000,000,000,000,000 metric tons) I'm sure you grasp the physics of hitting that mass with a 50 megaton blast (50,000,000 metric tons of TNT).

It's not like trying to move something as big as the houston astrodome with a grain of sand, it's like trying to move something a hundred billion times the size of the astrodome with a grain of sand.

Also compare a nuclear blast to something like the eruptions of Krakatoa or Tambora which were far larger blasts.

Nothing short of a massive asteroid impact will shift the rotation or orbit of the earth and moon.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Lasivian said:
pigiron said:
Sniffer said:

Sniffer

The mass of the earth is 5.9742 × 10^24 metric tons. (or 5,974,200,000,000,000,000,000,000 metric tons) I'm sure you grasp the physics of hitting that mass with a 50 megaton blast (50,000,000 metric tons of TNT).

It's not like trying to move something as big as the houston astrodome with a grain of sand, it's like trying to move something a hundred billion times the size of the astrodome with a grain of sand.

Also compare a nuclear blast to something like the eruptions of Krakatoa or Tambora which were far larger blasts.

Nothing short of a massive asteroid impact will shift the rotation or orbit of the earth and moon.
First of all I was referring to the moon being blasted.
The density of the moon is 0.6 that of the earth.
The 50megaton Czar Bomba was originally to be 100megaton but was scaled down due to fallout fears.
I believe a 1000megaton bomb is theoretically possible.
We are not talking about a 1000megaton mass hitting the moon but the blast effect of 1000megaton of TNT
which is equivalent to a 1000,000megaton mass.
It only takes a small change in orbit to effect a large change in climate.

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
pigiron said:
Lasivian said:
pigiron said:
Sniffer said:

Sniffer

First of all I was referring to the moon being blasted.
The density of the moon is 0.6 that of the earth.
The 50megaton Czar Bomba was originally to be 100megaton but was scaled down due to fallout fears.
I believe a 1000megaton bomb is theoretically possible.
We are not talking about a 1000megaton mass hitting the moon but the blast effect of 1000megaton of TNT
which is equivalent to a 1000,000megaton mass.
It only takes a small change in orbit to effect a large change in climate.

Yes, but Even with the moon's mass being "only" 7.35 × 10^22 kg it would still take far more than we are capable of to actually change the orbit of the moon.

Furthermore it would not have much if any effect on the earth's climate if the orbit of the moon was altered, which is tied to the 23.5 degree axial tilt of the earth (a tilt the moons orbit does not influence or imitate) and atmospheric conditions on the earth.

And actually one mass striking another is going to have more effect than a blast on the surface of a mass due to the principle of Conservation of Momentum.

But we're talking such massive numbers of mass and gravity here that it's difficult to comprehend the amount of force that would be required to alter them.

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
They're just looking for water...sometimes the government is doing exactly what they say they are.
It wasn't a bomb, it wasn't a nuke and it wasn't to change the tides or alter "global warming". It was a test designed to blast out particulates from deep under the moons surface and analyze it for the presence of water nothing more nothing less. A bomb would alter the results so they used inertia and gravity to make an impact that was chemically neutral. They are trying to understand the moon better so when we leave this planet for outer space and we need a moon base we will know if we can somehow refine existing water to use or if we will need to make/bring our own. It's science. The sooner we leave this planet the better.

Again, $11B on multiple helicopters for a single person...

K

Kentucky Kache

Does anyone remember (early 90's) when they sent something into space to let aliens know that we're friendly? The cost of that one was $100,000,000.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kentucky Kache said:
Does anyone remember (early 90's) when they sent something into space to let aliens know that we're friendly? The cost of that one was $100,000,000.

:D This world "Friendly" To aliens ?

Only if they are Holding a Weapon On Us :tongue3:

odds are we'd cut them up
to see what they are made of.

We can't even Tolerate
People who are different.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread