SCAMMERS all over ebay lately....

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
Ive bought and sold on ebay for over 10 years now.

Over that time Ive been scammed just a very few times.

So far this month Ive been scammed three times for around 200 dollars.

The first one was some electronics my son wanted. I bid on two XBOX 360 consoles. What I got was two nearly empty XBOX cases, that were missing almost all the major components. I filed a paypal claim and of course the seller took all the money out of their account the day before I filed against them.

The second was for just a 3 dollar item. I'm not too worried even if it doesn't show up but the principle of the matter just pisses me off.

The last one is a USB thumb drive that was sold as new. Instead I get a heavily scratched and extensively used drive that is password protected and impossible to get into. I have already filed a claim against them on paypal and hopefully I beat them trying to cash out their paypal account.

This is more scamming than Ive seen in the past 10 years.

So far ebay and paypal have been their usual worthless selves, offering no real help in this matter either.

I guess I just had to get this off my chest before I had a heart attack.

Thanks for listening.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got screwed for $1,200 on ebay an found out latter he got 8 others , of course Ebay an Pay Pal did nothing , sad part is there isn't really anybody you can go to , you just take it in the ass an these jerks make new accounts an go right back out after others , you'd think ebay an pay pal would find a better way to protect the honest buyers.

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have been on Ebay for a long time , but 2 yrs ago, my identity account was compromised and they cleaned out my bank accounts. I had to hire a Attorney to get my money back. I only use Ebay now to find the market value on things i want to sell elsewhere.

Nova Treasure

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried to format the USB drive? I know it isn't what you paid for, but at least maybe you will be able to use it.

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
Do you guys ever check their feedback? If it's not 100% positive, I will not deal with them, never have gotten burned.........yet anyway.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
There was a guy who sold the same civil war Florida button about 6 times and never even owned the button. He took the pic off a well known relics dealers website and when the button was sold asked the people to wire the money to Rome. I know one guy who won the button but was warned by a previous buyer before he paid for it. My friend contacted ebay and they said they had already thrown the seller off several times but he would get on again using different Id's and email addresses. For those of you who might not know a Florida button list for $2500.00+ I've been ripped on ebay too and as can be expected they didn't do a thing.

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
ya it would suck getting ripped off.if i was going to buy something for over 500 i'd drive to get it.out of country forget it i wouldnt give them a chance.

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
If you are able to determine the crooks true name and address you can contact the prosecutor in their home county and many times they will take up the matter. While true you will probably will never see your money again it is possible that justice can still be wrought upon the culprit.

Sorroque

Jan 5, 2007
Canaberal de Ayzm
Detector(s) used
GMHCX3
Insects in amber.
I bought some of these from china on ebay.
Insects yes.
Amber, yes in color.
Resin, yes, the plastic kind.
Do you see how simple and stupid one can be and get stung,(no pun intended about the scorpion pendants).?!??
lol.
So I paid alot of money and thought I was getting a great steal! "Insects In Amber"!
Yu must Yuse caution.

Nov 27, 2007
Valley of the Sun
I havn't used ebay in a while but I thought paypal held the sellers money for 21 days or something? They did this so that sellers could not cash out their accounts and rip off the buyers..maybe it changed? Like I said I havn't used it in a while. I never bought used electronics, or expensive items on ebay anyway..

dpitt8

May 2, 2008
wa
4-H said:
I KEEP TELLING YOU GUYS!! :dontknow: Don't buy electronics used unless you use it first! And on fee-bay it's impossible...Be Careful!

sadly i agree about electronics...had a customer today with a new RIM Blackberry they had gotten from a company off E-bay. Great customer service to him since they had replaced one before he got from them w/ a faulty trackball. This one sadly was a unbranded...for lack of better words...a fraud Blackberry. I'm just glad he had a backup phone to go back to that works. Told him that if he has problems getting his money back to report the company to the BBB.

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
You can prevent the majority of Ebay fraud by making sure you only browse results from the USA.

"If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
I used to buy and sell a lot on ebay (mainly coins and refurbed PS2 consoles) and the chinese scammers got the better of me. I was buying wheaties in five pound lots, getting what I needed, and then breaking them up and reselling them in 50 cent lots. I only once had a problem there. Electronics? Another matter entirely.

With Christmas coming up, I strongly advise you to check into Craigs list for your local area. I have sold and bought thousands of dollars worth of items on CL, and have never been cheated.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
What do you mean "the chinese scammers got the better of you"

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
I ordered a bunch of DVDs listed as coming from Ohio...they were all chinese bootlegs, in Chinese, with a postmark from china.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Libralabsoldier said:
I ordered a bunch of DVDs listed as coming from Ohio...they were all chinese bootlegs, in Chinese, with a postmark from china.
Unless they thought you were Chinese by your actions, it's a wonder they bothered sending them
knowing what your reaction would be.

nauticalcollector

Oct 30, 2009
I've been buying and selling on ebay for 10+ years and I've lost about $500 in money and maybe 200 hours of life messing with the crooks which means I've been pretty lucky I guess. Most of the money I lost was back before ebay's new refund policy which usually works.

I've had to file claims with Paypal several times in the last couple years and each time I received a refund. The last deal was a crooked detector seller up in Canada who sells that Chinese crap. I deserved to get ripped for even buying one of those deals. I sent the machine back and he lied to Paypal telling them he never received it. It was a good thing I saved all paper work.

Paypal forced him to refund the $135 but I still lost the $30 postage it cost me to send that piece of crap back to him. By the way, this guy is still selling his imported trash and he has very excellent feedback. You can't always trust feedback scores. Probably less than 1 person in 10 will even post a negative.

Today when I buy I always use Paypal and also use my Visa for double protection. I think Paypal puts forth extra effort when they see you used a major credit card company.

I've purchased some electronics through ebay and every time I was disappointed. I'll never buy any electronics through them again.

Also, almost all "original" paintings are fakes.

Sorry to ramble but this post really got me going. ;D

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
placerman said:
Ive bought and sold on ebay for over 10 years now.

Over that time Ive been scammed just a very few times.

So far this month Ive been scammed three times for around 200 dollars.

The first one was some electronics my son wanted. I bid on two XBOX 360 consoles. What I got was two nearly empty XBOX cases, that were missing almost all the major components. I filed a paypal claim and of course the seller took all the money out of their account the day before I filed against them.

Thanks for listening.

Being on for over 10 years you should have known better to buy from someone who definitely sounds like a low feedback newer user. Had you stuck with a better selller with more listings you would have had your Paypal claim go through. I'm obviously not defending a theif, but sounds like you might have gone against your better judgement for a good deal... and that's how people get burnt!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TexasDigger1 said:
Do you guys ever check their feedback? If it's not 100% positive, I will not deal with them, never have gotten burned.........yet anyway.

100% is a little bit unrealistic considering the changes Ebay made with only the buyer being able to leave negative feedback. Most of the best high volume sellers would not have 100% pos. feedback, they'd have to go an entire year without a negative. At least for many that is the case, very high volume might still round up to 100% instead of dropping it to 99%. In any event, feedback is only part of the criteria when deciding to make a purchase.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread