Anyone know anything about Epilepsy(in dogs)

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many many years of raising huskies (part and full bred), has told me, without a doubt, that huskies will always catch and eat whatever they can, especially creatures smaller than themselves - everything from mice to cats - yes, kill and eat cats. They just naturally are like that, more than your average dog.

Piggy's idea of an ideal meal for your dog, is, an ideal for any dog that has husky in it, too. And, every one we have had has been a "hoarder".
(guess it comes naturally).

There are many different meds for epilepsy. Epiphen is a name brand of the phenobarb family of meds. They also will use diazepam (valium), but pheno is the treatment of choice.

One thing your vet will want to do will be to monitor your dog by blood testing. (to find out how well it is holding in the body). Some dogs will have it out of their system in a matter of hours, so they have different types of the pheno. It is not a medicine that is used just when they are having seizures - it builds up in the system over a period of a month or so, which is how it helps prevent more seizures. But, what the proper dosage for your dog will be by trial and error. Cluster seizures are pretty much considered the worse, especially in an older dog, but if your dog has one single seizure every 6 months, it may not be necessary to be on constant meds - your vet is your best resource.

Also, dogs tend to get sleepish after a seizure, and taking him outside, especially if it is cold, seems to help. If your dog needs meds over the long term, they will probably reduce his dosage every few months until they get control with the least amount of meds, and he shouldn't be so lethargic.

A seizure is stressful on the organs of the body, but, like I said, our was about a year old, and he lived on a low dosage of meds for 16+ years, without any side affects. He traveled everywhere we went for all those years - we took him to Alaska and across the country with us, every single year, he hike the Superstitions with us - every trip, and many other outings. He never got left home, and he was energetic until the day of his death.

I hope you have very good luck with your dog.

B

arkhunter

Jun 12, 2006
little rock,arkansas
Detector(s) used
whites-garret
just want to add......over 40 years of watching my dad...as a veterinarian....treating this problem....major causes were.

1. lead poisoning....proved by blood test........treated by chelation
2. injury,birth defect or illness
3. and a very few cases....never determined a cause

OP
OP
shaun7

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
mrs.oroblanco said:
Many many years of raising huskies (part and full bred), has told me, without a doubt, that huskies will always catch and eat whatever they can, especially creatures smaller than themselves - everything from mice to cats - yes, kill and eat cats. They just naturally are like that, more than your average dog.

Piggy's idea of an ideal meal for your dog, is, an ideal for any dog that has husky in it, too. And, every one we have had has been a "hoarder".
(guess it comes naturally).

There are many different meds for epilepsy. Epiphen is a name brand of the phenobarb family of meds. They also will use diazepam (valium), but pheno is the treatment of choice.

One thing your vet will want to do will be to monitor your dog by blood testing. (to find out how well it is holding in the body). Some dogs will have it out of their system in a matter of hours, so they have different types of the pheno. It is not a medicine that is used just when they are having seizures - it builds up in the system over a period of a month or so, which is how it helps prevent more seizures. But, what the proper dosage for your dog will be by trial and error. Cluster seizures are pretty much considered the worse, especially in an older dog, but if your dog has one single seizure every 6 months, it may not be necessary to be on constant meds - your vet is your best resource.

Also, dogs tend to get sleepish after a seizure, and taking him outside, especially if it is cold, seems to help. If your dog needs meds over the long term, they will probably reduce his dosage every few months until they get control with the least amount of meds, and he shouldn't be so lethargic.

A seizure is stressful on the organs of the body, but, like I said, our was about a year old, and he lived on a low dosage of meds for 16+ years, without any side affects. He traveled everywhere we went for all those years - we took him to Alaska and across the country with us, every single year, he hike the Superstitions with us - every trip, and many other outings. He never got left home, and he was energetic until the day of his death.

I hope you have very good luck with your dog.

B

Thanks B :icon_thumleft:

I read that it is not uncommon to come home and find the family cat dead :o

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

shaun....my freind had a lab that had fits :'( brought on because it was a Diabetic Dog :o he had to carry Mars bars about with him, and shove one down it's mouth when it had one :( I once wittnesed one in his kitchen...scarry, but not as scarry when it effects one of the Family :'(

SS

OP
OP
shaun7

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Silver Searcher said:
:hello:

shaun....my freind had a lab that had fits :'( brought on because it was a Diabetic Dog :o he had to carry Mars bars about with him, and shove one down it's mouth when it had one :( I once wittnesed one in his kitchen...scarry, but not as scarry when it effects one of the Family :'(

SS

Yeah, it's not nice! I was wondering what I was going to tell the kids while she was having the last one, as I was sure she was
just going to die :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread