Something very strange happened to me the other day.

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
I was sitting in my favorite 'el cheapo' restaurant, eating my tacos, rice and beans and when I was about finished, all of the sudden, I got a very dizzying spell, and I had to park my head in my hands at the table to try and keep the room steady. Everything went dark. My arms and legs started to go numb, and as the room still spun, I began to think how horrible it would be if I were to be the 'show' of the evening, that everyone see's lying down on the restaurant floor. I did everything I could to stay coherent and keep from passing out, and managed to break out of the immediate sensation after about a minute. I sat there for another three minutes still dazed and numb and then began to sweat profusely. I was burning up, but then was cooled later by the sweat and it was a very welcome feeling. I had never experienced anything like this in my entire life, and I couldn't explain it. It lasted for about 5 minutes. After which I got up slowly, walked to my car and went home and it never happened again since then (about 3 days ago).

I've googled and my symptoms are that of a panic attack, but I was wasn't feeling 'panicked' that day at all, or have any feeling of 'dread'. I felt just fine, as I do right now.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds kinda like your electrolytes went sideways on your for a minute. Especially your potassium level. I'm not a doctor, but I do know from first hand experience that low potassium can hit you suddenly with dizziness, disorientation, and sweats. It happened to my Dad a couple of times.

Also, when men get older, we can have hot and cold flashes like women have; only not for so long a time. I'm not trying to be funny, but that's a fact. How old are you? If you haven't had a physical in a while, maybe now's the time for one and have your doctor run some tests on your electrolytes and harmone levels.

As I've gotten older, my inner ear has given me trouble if I get up too fast or turn my head too fast. I take low dose, across the counter Niacin tabs that seem to help settle things down a bit.

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
another thing I remember from when I first started eating, was that everything tasted really, really salty. I remember thinking, Geez, the cook today has really gone wild on the salt. First the chips AND salsa, then the food. I 'think' I'm about 37 (I stopped counting, but that's a realistic number). and for what it's worth, I do have high blood pressure that I don't take anything for.... (I'm a gluten for punishment I know, but it's not 'that' bad... I don't know though, as of late).

peacock

Oct 16, 2009
Do you do a lot of sugar? White bread? I think you are fine. Must watch what you eat.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
This could also be caused by alcohol withdrawal . Apart from the taste hallucinations, did you experience any apparitions, ghostly figures out the corner of your eye.

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
A combination of having low blood pressure and being dehydrated can also cause a fainting episode. Just be thankful you weren't driving at the time!

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Zephyr said:
A combination of having low blood pressure and being dehydrated can also cause a fainting episode. Just be thankful you weren't driving at the time!

I have high blood pressure and 'might' have been dehydrated. Plus, I had been drinking the night before. But, I've been drinking a long time, and I never have any problems except the usual hangover, which was hardly nothing that day.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
I strongly suggest you visit this site Mike.
http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/withdraw/a/aa030307a.htm
This describes the various stages of alcohol withdrawal symptoms that
I'm sure you can identify with.

You stated that you have been a habitual drinker for a long time , but you feel you
can handle it.
When you say you have high BPressure, is that because the doctor told you or because
you have a red sweaty face a lot of the time.

If you have health cover, book yourself into rehab. asap. A few weeks of group therapy,
good food, vitamins and vallium will help you.

From your recipe for hot sauce I can tell you arn't eating right.

Good luck in your treatment.

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Mike, I've had the very same symptons on occassion and was told the same thing, panic attack....Like you I felt no panic or stress. Went to dr's. had all kinds of tests done, including MRI, nothing was found, blood pressure good, clorestaral good, no brain tumors or any of the myriad things that I thought was wrong...Sometimes we just have hot flashes, menapause in men...The best solution that I can give to handle it is take deep breaths and don't go into panic mode, I know that sounds simplistic, but it works for me...If you do those things the length of the episode will decrease also...

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Just another thought Mike, you should hook up with "Produce Guy" who also hails
from Austin,Texas. He could point you in the right direction re. Cheaper healthier foods
or even a career as he is a produce manager.

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 and a Minelab Explorer XS with Gray Ghost Originals
Ive had it happen a few times when I was younger, sure it wasnt a panic attack? I would bet it was.

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Who knows? Go to the doc and have some basic tests run. If the doc recommends HBP meds, go on them. When help (meds) are available, why not? Folks here could guess all day, but without deeper knowledge, no one really knows. This is not a medical site; go see the pros. JMHO. -Noodle

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
From the description I would have said Heat shock, I have done this once, I played golf and got to hot and got HYPERthermia then went into the club house to cool off but they had the AC on and the sudden change cause me to go into shock and start sweating again. It also made me feel so weak that I could not get up or even want to pick my head up off the table, I felt like I was going to throw up as well but after about 10 or 15 mins I felt well enough to get up and walk out side back into the heat and then I felt better. I am not sure if this is what happened to you but the symptoms sound about the same.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Noodle said:
Who knows? Go to the doc and have some basic tests run. If the doc recommends HBP meds, go on them. When help (meds) are available, why not? Folks here could guess all day, but without deeper knowledge, no one really knows. This is not a medical site; go see the pros. JMHO. -Noodle
Meds are not help, they are usually a death sentence as they don't address the causes.
Most doctors are extremely unknowing of nutrition , effects of alcohol withdrawal and a whole range
of health matters if there is no ready script.
If they do prescribe they often over prescribe to cover themselves from possible error.
In my case a visit to the doctor costs nothing as I live in Australia.
I could be drowning in meds if I wished for as an aged pensioner all scripts are $3.80c.
Before I became a pensioner they were $5 as my income was low and before that about $12.

As you live in Texas Mike I suggest you visit Mexico for a more pro. opinion.

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pigiron said:
This could also be caused by alcohol withdrawal . Apart from the taste hallucinations, did you experience any apparitions, ghostly figures out the corner of your eye.

HAHHAHHAHHaHAHAHAHA mikey hes got you pegged as a drunk dude!!! thats funny!!!

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, I am a Firefighter/Paramedic and the symptoms you describe with your history of high blood pressure, uncontrolled, sounds like a T.I.A.(Transient Ischemic Attack) or better known as a Mini-Stroke. These are warning signs of a full blown stroke to come if you don't seek treatment. This is nothing to play around with, you need to see a doctor, now not "later" or "if it happens again" get off the computer and make a doctors appointment, tell them what happened and that you need to be seen asap. Maybe it will be nothing, but if you don't get checked and you have a stroke, you may never get another chance to do something about it. Not trying to scare you, just offering the advice I would give to anyone c/o those type symptoms. Good luck.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oje, Tejano! I just had a health episode that scared me and the first thing I'm gonna do is get on the internet to find out what happened? God knows what people like me might tell you! Just kiddin, but seriously, go to a doctor. Probably not anything, but it doesn't hurt to get it checked out.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
The Doc will probably put you on meds.
Once hooked ,like any drug, it's hard to get off.
I suggest a change in life style.

peacock

Oct 16, 2009
Yes, I agree with Pigiron stay off the meds. Life style change is better. Hard to do when you also are so worried about supporting your family. I think things will all work out for the better. We all hate change. We have friends here that support us. Take care of yourself. My thoughts are with you.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suggest you see a doctor and take the doctors advice and medications and start a healthy lifestyle. Sometimes just a healthy lifestyle alone will nbot matter. You are young enough to turn anything around. I had high blood pressure at 40. Did not drink nor was I over weight as I work out. Just a genetic thang. Small dose everyday is a small price to pay. See a doc and keep posting .
Good luck
TnMtns

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread