Here we go again

S

Smee

Lasivian said:
Fear mongering helps absolutely nobody. Please don't do it.
I agree, but reporting that someone is being a copycat is hardly fearmongering.

It takes a bit more than that. Just watch the network news tonight and there is plenty of fearmongering to compare this to. The fearmongering is going to be coming NBC, CBS, CNN, ABC, and the rest of that bunch telling us all how awful it is that we still have the freedom in this country to own firearms.

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Smee said:
Lasivian said:
Fear mongering helps absolutely nobody. Please don't do it.
I agree, but reporting that someone is being a copycat is hardly fearmongering.

It takes a bit more than that. Just watch the network news tonight and there is plenty of fearmongering to compare this to. The fearmongering is going to be coming NBC, CBS, CNN, ABC, and the rest of that bunch telling us all how awful it is that we still have the freedom in this country to own firearms.

Telling people to hide their guns because "they'll" be after them is fearmongering.

And please explain to me how anything the media does makes it ok here? Two wrongs don't make a right.

S

Smee

Lasivian said:
Telling people to hide their guns because "they'll" be after them is fearmongering.

And please explain to me how anything the media does makes it ok here? Two wrongs don't make a right.

I don't really think your first statement is accurate. There is a staunch "anti gun" sentiment on the left side of the aisle. The greater and greater restrictions they attempt to get enacted along with the rhetorick only feed that "fear" that some see, but which is actually a serious concern for the liberties guaranteed us under the constitution. Wouldn't you agree that sometimes with statements like speaker Pelosi's about making the cost of ammunition prohibitive as a way around the constitution, these persons do have reason to be concerned?

I didn't mean that it would make anything "alright". What I was getting at is the simple fact that the media has a strong leaning towards the same folks who would like to make it illegal to own guns. They will NOT make things better, they will be the ones who are causing fear and trying to use that fear to justify a hatred of an inanimate object (a gun) while attempting to make us feel sorry for the animate object (the human) who made the decision to pick up and MISUSE that weapon.

The gun doesn't think. It doesn't feel. It doesn't hate. It doesn't love. It doesn't get happy. It doesn't get sad. It is a machine which would do nothing at all without the intervention of a living being.

So, why do they hate the gun, while excusing the user? Kind of stupid to me. But the media is going to play this up and do some top notch fearmongering in an attempt to sway more people to think that it is the evil gun that carried out these shootings, and that we should feel sorry for the tortured souls (Libra, how many Army Majors have you harassed today?) who decided that they would use that tool to carry out their desires.

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Smee said:
Lasivian said:

I don't really think your first statement is accurate. There is a staunch "anti gun" sentiment on the left side of the aisle. The greater and greater restrictions they attempt to get enacted along with the rhetorick only feed that "fear" that some see, but which is actually a serious concern for the liberties guaranteed us under the constitution. Wouldn't you agree that sometimes with statements like speaker Pelosi's about making the cost of ammunition prohibitive as a way around the constitution, these persons do have reason to be concerned?

I didn't mean that it would make anything "alright". What I was getting at is the simple fact that the media has a strong leaning towards the same folks who would like to make it illegal to own guns. They will NOT make things better, they will be the ones who are causing fear and trying to use that fear to justify a hatred of an inanimate object (a gun) while attempting to make us feel sorry for the animate object (the human) who made the decision to pick up and MISUSE that weapon.

The gun doesn't think. It doesn't feel. It doesn't hate. It doesn't love. It doesn't get happy. It doesn't get sad. It is a machine which would do nothing at all without the intervention of a living being.

So, why do they hate the gun, while excusing the user? Kind of stupid to me. But the media is going to play this up and do some top notch fearmongering in an attempt to sway more people to think that it is the evil gun that carried out these shootings, and that we should feel sorry for the tortured souls (Libra, how many Army Majors have you harassed today?) who decided that they would use that tool to carry out their desires.

You're over-generalizing. I'm a liberal, a gun owner and a lifetime NRA member, I know several others and I bristle at this unfair assumption and stirring the pot. If anything behavior like this makes it harder for me to sway liberals on the issue.

You show me a piece of proposed anti-gun legislation and i'll be happy to call my congressman and tell them to vote against it, but just saying "They're out to get us" is not going to help anything, it just stirs up emotions and starts fights.

peacock

Oct 16, 2009
Keep calm. I do not know how to quote. Grew up hunting. NRA. Silence is golden.

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Post links where groups are actively calling for the wholesale confiscations of guns. Which is well nigh logistically impossible.

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Libralabsoldier said:
Post links where groups are actively calling for the wholesale confiscations of guns. Which is well nigh logistically impossible.

I can't find one.

I am curious to know if there is a strong anti-gun lobby at the moment. I can't find evidence of one.

S

Smee

Libralabsoldier said:
So very true, hard to do.

One thing you need to do to successfully end the benefits of "gun ownership" is to make it impossible to obtain ammunition.

http://www.oas.org/juridico/English/treaties/a-63.html - Would ban reloading, or require licensing. I mean, really, how many drug lords are going to take the time and effort to "reload" their own ammunition?

Actually it comes down to one question: Do you want to be a "citizen" or a "subject"?

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/08/national/nationalspecial/08cnd-storm.html - Guns have already been confiscated from citizens, including LAW ABIDING citizens. It happened again in Houston.

http://assembly.state.ny.us/Press/20090428/ - Providing for the seizure of ALL guns 50 caliber or greater. Even dealers in posession of these would have to turn them over.

At work, so I gotta go for now.

K

Kentucky Kache

Lasivian said:
If anything behavior like this makes it harder for me to sway liberals on the issue.

I think the fact that you need to sway liberals on the issue is the main point.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the culture I grew up in, an armed society is a polite society. There's a lot of folks that think takin away the guns would solve everything, and it would somehow make us all more civil to each other, and murder rates would drop. It would be the most wonderful thing if that worked. You got to consider the 'ways and the means'. Lose the means, guns, and I guarantee you they will come up with somethin else. Since the government looks out for us, we will be seein legislation introduced banning rocks or sharp sticks.

S

Smee

RGINN said:
In the culture I grew up in, an armed society is a polite society. There's a lot of folks that think takin away the guns would solve everything, and it would somehow make us all more civil to each other, and murder rates would drop. It would be the most wonderful thing if that worked. You got to consider the 'ways and the means'. Lose the means, guns, and I guarantee you they will come up with somethin else. Since the government looks out for us, we will be seein legislation introduced banning rocks or sharp sticks.
Then comes the "thought police".

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Smee said:
RGINN said:
Then comes the "thought police".

Being of sound mind, I have issues with both sides of the fence. They both do stupid things. There needs to be a 3rd party called the "Non Corrupt".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread