I Guess The Service Hasnt Changed!

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
I Guess The Service Hasn't Changed!

My g'son is in basic Training at Lackland AFB.He developed an infection in his arm that they were treating.He went yesterday for followup treatment.The doc comes in and says take this medicine.He did.Then the doc says now how are you doing,mr.reynolds,my g'son's name is not reynolds.He said who?It turns out that this reynolds had overdosed on some hallucinate and this doc had given my g'son an antedote.Guess it knocked him out good.They have it squared away and treated so that he will be ok now,so they say.Gov't run healthcare?

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Re: I Guess The Service Hasn't Changed!

Why ever would anyone expect any branch of military to not screw up? where did the word snafu come from/

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

Glad he is okay now, damn. There is probably no chance for a malpractice suit either, maybe he can at least get the doctor in front of a review board.

OP
OP
warsawdaddy

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used

My g'son was working up to his required 40 pushups.Hadn't quite got there yet.I told him to tell the doc because of this fiasco, that he could sign off on his pushups or meet his lawyer.his choice.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

I could be wrong (and I am quite often) but I don't think military personell are allowed to sue military doctors but if he can he has a pretty air tight case.

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150

We are not allowed to sue the military doctors. I have worked at one of the very best Army Hospitals, being Reynolds Army Community Hospital at Fort Sill, OK. We had a 99% rating from JCAHO, and our lab had a 100% rating from three different agencies. Medical mistakes happen. In this case, there is no real excuse.

When I was still a medic, we had several levels of checks before we treated a patient to ensure that we got the right patient, right medication, and right dosage. Whenever someone went in for a surgery, the day before during Pre Op, the doctor and the nurse attending would both mark and sign the incision site and date it to make sure they had the right surgical site.

This caused me a great deal of mirth and amusement when one set of doctors did my vasectomy in 2001, and when I had the subsequent vasectomy reversal in 2005. Nothing like having two different people sign your genitalia...

Anyway, medical mistakes happen, no matter which doctor you go to. This should not be used as a representation of government medical failure.

(Besides, the VA is a much easier target.)

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Maybe it's just Lackland AFB,because my boss at work his son had a problem with his feet when he was there about 2 years ago and they were ready to discharge him,so his dad (my boss) took him to his doctor and they couldn't find anyting wrong with is feet.His son is now stationed in Japan and is doing fine.

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150

I dunno. I worked with some people from Wilford Hall in San Antonio, and they knew their stuff. Then again, it may be the doc working with trainees is suffering from compassion fatigue.

OP
OP
warsawdaddy

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used

I posted this because as a vet(Korea),all vets and servicemen have firm opinions and memories of the service.Valid or invalid,they are usually all the same,whether it's medical,food service,or whatever.I understand that there is no more screwups in the service than there is in the private sect.That may not have been true many years ago when training was rushed and limited in the military but in todays inviroment the training is excellent and hopefully the mistakes do not go un-noticed and corrective action is taken immediately.Mistakes are usually caused by administration screwup whether by department or by individual and not by talent and usually corrective steps are taken immediately.My g'son is shrugging it off and carrying on.Yes,he's fully aware of SNAFU.

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150

Good. He needs to just request to be seen by Army folks at BAMC, lol.

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

warsawdaddy said:
My g'son is in basic Training at Lackland AFB.He developed an infection in his arm that they were treating.He went yesterday for followup treatment.The doc comes in and says take this medicine.He did.Then the doc says now how are you doing,mr.reynolds,my g'son's name is not reynolds.He said who?It turns out that this reynolds had overdosed on some hallucinate and this doc had given my g'son an antedote.Guess it knocked him out good.They have it squared away and treated so that he will be ok now,so they say.Gov't run healthcare?

And somehow private healthcare isn't prone to making mistakes?

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark

All in all...I'm glad your grandson will be okay. Please thank him for his service to the country.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread