California wants to BAN wide screen TVs?

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Re: California wants to BAN wide screen TV's?

mrs.oroblanco said:
McGearhead, thrillathahunt - yes, yes, yes - exactly.

Piggy,

I don't know about you, but I don't feel "progressive" by copying other countries - in fact, isn't that a big part of the health debate? Copying other countries?

so, being progressive, we should continue - first, ban guns like Brussels did in 2006, then, the same law with Australia - we can be just like them, and, (and this is the funny part) - to stop "guzzling" plasmas - like most other tv's - you can unplug them when they are not being used, if you want to reduce your electric usage.

B
You miss the point Mrs O, and that is to force makers to make more efficient products.
The LCD is more energy efficient but still not good enough. This is progress.
The makers will not do it themselves, just like with cars, they have to be forced.

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon

Vote!
Newt

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Piggy,

You keep saying I am missing the point - when it is YOU who are missing MY point - nobody should be forced. PLUS, everytime a government makes something mandatory, it also makes it more expensive, because you LOSE your right to choose.

You are entitled to your opinion - I'm not missing it - I'm just trying to get you to understand mine.

I am sick and tired of the elected officials (and others) telling me what is the best thing for me. If I can afford to pay the electric bill, who cares?

You also miss my point that there is always something that they force down our throats as "good for you". It's not just plasma tv's.

I'm not asking you to agree - but to understand the way I see it. Just because I do not agree, does not mean I am missing your point - I've got your point - and I disagree - you are obviously one of those people who think "they" know what is best for me, and I am obviously one of those people who think that I should get to decide what is good for me, and what I want.

B

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog

Some folks were dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century, but they made it.
Others refuse the change and wish to remain forever in Never Never Land.
The majority went with the groove and lead happy purposeful lives.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Obviously, some of us went so far into the 21st century that they forgot about the 18th century - 1776.

B

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mrs.oroblanco said:
Piggy,

You keep saying I am missing the point - when it is YOU who are missing MY point - nobody should be forced. PLUS, everytime a government makes something mandatory, it also makes it more expensive, because you LOSE your right to choose.

You are entitled to your opinion - I'm not missing it - I'm just trying to get you to understand mine.

I am sick and tired of the elected officials (and others) telling me what is the best thing for me. If I can afford to pay the electric bill, who cares?

You also miss my point that there is always something that they force down our throats as "good for you". It's not just plasma tv's.

I'm not asking you to agree - but to understand the way I see it. Just because I do not agree, does not mean I am missing your point - I've got your point - and I disagree - you are obviously one of those people who think "they" know what is best for me, and I am obviously one of those people who think that I should get to decide what is good for me, and what I want.

B

:headbang:

:coffee2:

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

mcgearhead said:
It's all about a person's personal choice. If I choose to drive a gas guzzlin old pick up truck I should have that right, and I do, for the time being. If I choose to buy the biggest and most powerful tv with all of the bells and whistles, I should have that option too.
I know this is in another state other than where I live, but if they do it there, what's to stop em from doin it here ?
They are always takin away folk's choices from them. I remember the day when you didn't have to wear a seatbelt if ya didn't want to. I know all about the cost for the insurance companies, blah, blah, blah. I'm just makin a point. If I want to drive my car without a seatbelt that should be my decision, not some government official. Who are they to govern my well being?
I geuss I said all that just to say, I am sick and tired of folk's decision's being made for them by our well paid government politicians who is supposed to be workin' for us.

Do you believe that your choices have no impact on other people?

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog

mcgearhead said:
Piggy said...

You miss the point Mrs O, and that is to force makers to make more efficient products.The LCD is more energy efficient but still not good enough. This is progress.
The makers will not do it themselves, just like with cars, they have to be forced.

Well just call me a capitalist pig, but I am sorry that has never worked before and will not work. Let the consumer decide what is best. Who does our government think they are to "force" our saftey, our energy effiecient products, our health care options, any other of our decions in our own personal lives?

I'm sorry but this is not the "United" States anymore. We are more divided then we have ever been.
Your anti-Government mentality has overridden your common sense.
Are you or for that matter any individual an expert in complex matters like health care, nutrition
or a thousand other factors that impinge on our modern lives.
We are surrounded by 1000's of safety measures to protect ourselves and our children that are
instigated and regulated by the Government.

What if a new coal fired power station had to built near where you live to meet the needs
of , in your own words greedy "capitalist pig"s.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Uh, Piggy,

Do you know who you are responding to?

Since you seem to be talking to me, you might want to re-read McGearhead's post - and realize that HE is the one who posted about the "capitalist pig" comment. :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :dontknow: :dontknow:

Care to explain what you are talking about??

B

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

mcgearhead said:
Lasivian said:
mcgearhead said:
It's all about a person's personal choice. If I choose to drive a gas guzzlin old pick up truck I should have that right, and I do, for the time being. If I choose to buy the biggest and most powerful tv with all of the bells and whistles, I should have that option too.
I know this is in another state other than where I live, but if they do it there, what's to stop em from doin it here ?
They are always takin away folk's choices from them. I remember the day when you didn't have to wear a seatbelt if ya didn't want to. I know all about the cost for the insurance companies, blah, blah, blah. I'm just makin a point. If I want to drive my car without a seatbelt that should be my decision, not some government official. Who are they to govern my well being?
I geuss I said all that just to say, I am sick and tired of folk's decision's being made for them by our well paid government politicians who is supposed to be workin' for us.

Do you believe that your choices have no impact on other people?

Going with the title of this post with the banning of wide screens, no.

No, I mean you want to do all the things you mentioned above, do you think that none of those things has any impact whatsoever on anyone else?

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog

mrs.oroblanco said:
Uh, Piggy,

Do you know who you are responding to?

Since you seem to be talking to me, you might want to re-read McGearhead's post - and realize that HE is the one who posted about the "capitalist pig" comment. :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :dontknow: :dontknow:

Care to explain what you are talking about??

B
I was referring to Mac's self centred view of life . It is he whom I quoted, not yourself.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the clarification.

This particular discussion seems to have too many twists and turns for me to follow properly! :dontknow: :help:

B

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mrs.oroblanco said:
Thanks for the clarification.

This particular discussion seems to have too many twists and turns for me to follow properly! :dontknow: :help:

B

And it appears to be Getting Very close
to Name Calling :nono:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

piggy said:
What if a new coal fired power station had to built near where you live to meet the needs
of , in your own words greedy "capitalist pig"s.

We have one about 10 Miniute Walk
from my House.

The News Crew was Disappointed when they
Knocked on my door, & Heard me say "SO WHAT ?"
"Free Enterprize Ain't it ?" They were also Disappointed
when they got pretty much the same thing
from Everyone else. No sweat of Our Backs.

http://www.manta.com/coms2/dnbcompany_db32dd

LastScan.jpg

99% of the Time we don't even remeber it's There.
Makes a Wind type (Jet Engine sound) when
It starts up Occasionally after
a power outage, Can see the Stacks in the Fall
& Winter. Woop-de-doo

Don't even Know or Care who's electric it supplies.
I Know it's not Ours though. May be out of state.

Tremont, PA
WPS Westwood Generation, LLC operates the Westwood Generating Station located in Tremont, Pennsylvania. The 30-megawatt power plant uses a Circulating Fluidized Bed boiler that converts waste coal into low-cost power. Steam from the plant drives a 40,000 horsepower generator that produces enough energy to serve 45,000 homes.
WPSWestwood1.jpg

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog

That there just a baby.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

piggy said:
That there just a baby.

Yep

They could have Built it
or anything else Behind my House
for all I Care.

As long as they didn't tear my house down to Build
it I Didn't need to Buy a shotgun, Chain, Lock & Barracade.

They Get Free Enterprise
as Long as I Got freedom to Live here.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog

That there's a great Government initiative.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The one thing that reallllllllly frost my --- is when a hand full of nosy people try to dictate what I should eat, should drink, should wear, should drive, should not put in my light fixtures, etc. and then claim that what I do or do not do effects them, too. Well, NEWS FLASH. If they aren't helping pay for my gas, utilities, groceries, clothing, etc. it is none of their damned business. I had parents, I do not need any nannies. The biggest problem is they totally ignore that basic fact and keep pushing their own ideas. That is why I add to my supply of ammunition every payday. Liberal busybodies can take that statement however they choose.

I'd vote to "Ban" California.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread