California wants to BAN wide screen TVs?

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: California wants to BAN wide screen TV's?

It is no longer a question of stopping.

People have learned that, if they get some folks together to be against someone doing something that THEY don't do, they can usually get it stopped.

Stop smoking, stop metal detecting, stop walking on public land, stop hunting - stop letting your grass grow, stop painting your house in colors I don't like, stop building a small house, stop being gay, stop buying large cars, stop building on your land if I don't like what you are building, stop disciplining your children in your own way, stop driving atv's off road, stop your cows from pooping in the dirt, stop letting your dog poop outside, stop hunting, stop carrying weapons, stop being whatever your religion is if its not the same as mine, stop buying big televisions, stop using any of your land that might get wet once every 10 years, stop building businesses that I don't care to use, stop using public land as if the taxpayers own it, stop mining, stop, stop, stop.

And the sad thing is - even the people who have all these things - want to make some kind of law to stop someone else from doing something.

B

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

thrillathahunt said:
Ban, ban, ban, ......I can't believe it! That's all we hear nowdays. Where does it stop?

Yeah, it's so silly to think that there aren't low-power TVs to fill the void if they ban the high energy consuming ones.

And of course you could always leave California if you don't like the ban, or vote your local politicians out of office. Oh wait, you don't live there. But yes, you can tell them what to do in THEIR state, right? ::)

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x

Lasivian said:
thrillathahunt said:
Ban, ban, ban, ......I can't believe it! That's all we hear nowdays. Where does it stop?

Yeah, it's so silly to think that there aren't low-power TVs to fill the void if they ban the high energy consuming ones.

And of course you could always leave California if you don't like the ban, or vote your local politicians out of office. Oh wait, you don't live there. But yes, you can tell them what to do in THEIR state, right? ::)

Are you off your meds agien lasi? Jeez if your so concerned about the carbon footprint what are you doing about it? Moving back into your YUT?

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

TEXAN Connection said:
Lasivian said:
thrillathahunt said:

Are you off your meds agien lasi? Jeez if your so concerned about the carbon footprint what are you doing about it? Moving back into your YUT?

Yes, exactly as I said in the other thread, anything personal becomes ammunition for you to attack with. What exactly would my personal views on the subject have to do with the point I am trying to make above?

Zero.

I'm not in California, they can ban whatever they want there, it's not my business to tell them what to do, is it? Or isn't it?

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used

Lasivian said:
TEXAN Connection said:
Lasivian said:
thrillathahunt said:

Yes, exactly as I said in the other thread, anything personal becomes ammunition for you to attack with. What exactly would my personal views on the subject have to do with the point I am trying to make above?

Zero.

I'm not in California, they can ban whatever they want there, it's not my business to tell them what to do, is it? Or isn't it?

Yup lasi when i see you fibbing and cutting folks staments to make your Bias points Ill call you out on it.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The problem is - this is happening all over the country.

It has nothing to do with carbon footprints or anything like that.

What it DOES have to do with is everybody wants to control what everyone else does.

Anyone on the west coast, and definitely most of the east coast want "conformity" - like I said before, they want to tell you how to live your life, how to build your house, how high you can let your grass grow, etc., etc., etc.

B

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used

mrs.oroblanco said:
The problem is - this is happening all over the country.

It has nothing to do with carbon footprints or anything like that.

What it DOES have to do with is everybody wants to control what everyone else does.

Anyone on the west coast, and definitely most of the east coast want "conformity" - like I said before, they want to tell you how to live your life, how to build your house, how high you can let your grass grow, etc., etc., etc.

B

Thanks Mrs O you pegged it, its happening all over the world Not just california.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

They can have my 55" Wide screen when they can pry my cold, dead fingers off it's remote.. :laughing9: I'm ready to upgrade to a nice 65"

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

California , what can you say?

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog

Get used to it.
It's just like water conservation in an effort to build less dams, desalination plants or
power stations to conserve the shrinking amount available.

In any event it's only outdated high power consumption plasma sets.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

In any event it's only outdated high power consumption plasma sets

That may be true, but it forces some people to spend money that they might not, or might not be able to - much like the "digital" conversion.

Individually, it might not matter to most whether it happens or not - but on another note - they won't stop at tv's - there is always the next thing down the road, until the laws control what is in your home - your private home.

B

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog

mrs.oroblanco said:
In any event it's only outdated high power consumption plasma sets

That may be true, but it forces some people to spend money that they might not, or might not be able to - much like the "digital" conversion.

Individually, it might not matter to most whether it happens or not - but on another note - they won't stop at tv's - there is always the next thing down the road, until the laws control what is in your home - your private home.
B
Building regulations have been around for awhile and are constantly changing
to reflect changing factors in our lives.
Water tanks are compulsory in new homes along with recycling grey water for
flushing toilets.
As the temperatures rise as has been happening in Australia then new homes have
to meet stringent fire proofing regulations, water conservation measures and as water is scarse
even the plants you grow around your house are regulated to be low water tolerant
native species.
Recycling of plastics and paper is in place with 80% target next year.
Good governance is for the overall/majority benefit, else become a failed state and degenerate into anarchy as is the case in Somalia and Aphganistan with the rule of the warlord.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

yep water is scarce
i'm no expert but I Think all water Consumed
& Evaporated is Naturally Recycled.
Except for the small
amount that goes into space with the astronuts.

images.jpg flood-insurance-prepare.jpg

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog

True, the water cycle for the planet is a closed loop, and what goes up does
come down, but not in the same place.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Easy fix for that TV ban, don't live in California.....

Go to a 4 Day work week, just imagine how much electricity would be saved just by not lighting up all the office buildings one day a week.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As far as laws, etc., the laws of one state are not necessarily true for another state.

It's not as easy as not living in California, I'm afraid. Two main reasons - one - is that that attitude of "good governance" is just another word for "we who think we know all, will supercede any private rights that you, who know nothing, insist on doing".

Second reason - those who flee California, end up in other places and, while supposedly running away from all the garbage laws, drag all their ideas with them and Californicate the places they run to.

While there are good laws, to be sure, there are a great deal of people who want everyone to "conform" - its not just a case of the TV's.

B

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No, I don't live in CA. I used to, but found a much better place to live, and I wasn't telling California what to do anyway. They are digging their own grave.

When the government switched from analog to digital TV transmitting they gave $40 coupons for those who couldn't afford cable to buy a converter box. I wonder if the People's Republic of California is going to buy those with the evil widescreens a new smaller TV for them?

Oh yeah, and people will be required to ride bikes or have electric cars there too someday.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

McGearhead, thrillathahunt - yes, yes, yes - exactly.

Piggy,

I don't know about you, but I don't feel "progressive" by copying other countries - in fact, isn't that a big part of the health debate? Copying other countries?

so, being progressive, we should continue - first, ban guns like Brussels did in 2006, then, the same law with Australia - we can be just like them, and, (and this is the funny part) - to stop "guzzling" plasmas - like most other tv's - you can unplug them when they are not being used, if you want to reduce your electric usage.

B

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread