onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Growing up in wisconsin we had our own language things like wheres the bubbler (drinking fountain), you know were the street car bends the corner, I live in Cudahy by the lake almost, I live up nort, tuff means cool ,short means car,sweet means I like it,bogart means share,Trim means your girl,nark,toke,shades,scratch(money) pins (legs) plank (use your imagination) cop a feel,dust (money) bruskey,(beer)tunes (music) box (again imagination)skins (tires) blasted (drunk)fuzz (cops) finger bowl (drive in theater)Penguin (nun) pinch a loaf,(poop)dube,maryjane,cut a chogee(leave) brim (hat) and then there was Danny we called him electric cause he took the path of least resistance. sure there was a lot more but i think Im having a brain fart

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was born and raised in Pittsburgh PA. We have an amusement park in that area called Kennywood. If someone told you "Kennywood is open" it meant your fly was open.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well First off I Live on the top of a Mah-in
or Mowinn depending on lazyness at the time.
Mah-in is easier to say

If I go the Hegins they tell my they live in the
Wa-lee

and sometimes I go to tarcidy (Tower City)

An there are "aloda Wiiise Tektors here"

There is Mah-in Speak
Walley Speak
& Coal Reagon Speak around here.
And of course the Kids have their Own Language.

& in most cases T & G are Silent unless Starting a Word

As is De at the Beginning of most
Multiple Syllable Words

http://www.coalregion.com/Speak/speakA.htm

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
onfire said:
Growing up in wisconsin we had our own language things like wheres the bubbler (drinking fountain), you know were the street car bends the corner, I live in Cudahy by the lake almost, I live up nort, tuff means cool ,short means car,sweet means I like it,bogart means share,Trim means your girl,nark,toke,shades,scratch(money) pins (legs) plank (use your imagination) cop a feel,dust (money) bruskey,(beer)tunes (music) box (again imagination)skins (tires) blasted (drunk)fuzz (cops) finger bowl (drive in theater)Penguin (nun) pinch a loaf,(poop)dube,maryjane,cut a chogee(leave) brim (hat) and then there was Danny we called him electric cause he took the path of least resistance. sure there was a lot more but i think Im having a brain fart

here Drinking Fountain is a "Fah-in"

We don't have Street Cars But You can "Roun a Corner"

as said I live on the Mahinn.

Cool Still means Cool !

car means car, truck, suv

the whole Sixth Fleet is a buncha botes

sweet means I like it,& WOW ! and Realy Realy Cool !
& sometimes THANKS !

bogart means "Don't Share"

trim means Just trim a Bit off the ends
when getting a Haircut to Me
But apparently Means Butcher me to
the Girl who cuts my Hair at the Moment.
& "Butcher" means cut too much off

your post gets confusin' here :tongue3:
or i'm just getin' tir'd of typin'

allan

Oct 7, 2008
Vega Baja
when I lived in the states it was in leb nin cownty {lebanon county}, I brutsed {cried}when I left, but after getting all warshed{washed} up I felt better.pennsylvania dutch has quite a few interesting elements there and I wish I could remember a few more cawnt now but maybe later

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
allan said:
when I lived in the states it was in leb nin cownty {lebanon county}, I brutsed {cried}when I left, but after getting all warshed{washed} up I felt better.pennsylvania dutch has quite a few interesting elements there and I wish I could remember a few more cawnt now but maybe later

Yea I'm Jus north of Leb-nin-Cownee
I go downair to tekt ones in awile

I'm in Sgoogle (Schuylkill)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a lot of Indian names around here that the national newscasters can never pronounce like Tahlequah, Sapulpa, Pawhusk, Muskogee, etc. Also no one knows the difference between thinks and thanks. The local store clerk says, "Think you, come again". I respond,"I thank I will", just to be ornery, but she never gets it. When I was a kid and was climbing on something Dad didn't want me on, he'd say, "Get offinat". (Born and raised in southern Oklahoma). The days of the week are Mundy,Toosdy, Wensdy, Fridy, Saterdy and Sundy. Many verbs end in "n", such as comin, goin, stayin, openin, closin, etc. We always pronounce our ars (Rs) unlike many folks up north. Yall is a common word we hear a lot even if it's one or a hundred people. Things that aren't here are over yonder no matter if it's a foot or a mile, it's still over yonder. A cicada is a locust and a locust is a grasshopper. Raw Sushi is bait as is sardines and kippers and crawfish and anchovies. We still have one drive-in movie left. (Use to have a dozen or so). A lot of us drive around with a shotgun or .22 rifle in our back windows of the pickup truck. Formal dress is blue jeans, a shirt and a bow tie. Only a real redneck wears a ball cap or a cowboy hat in the house, or maybe she will if she's bald. And lots of other things that is common around here but I'm sure many of you over yonder would think is strange. Monty

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
I grew up in south Louisiana, and now live in rural Oklahoma. I hear "gotdatrite" a lot, and people here have told me that I have a funny accent.

Y'onto seems to mean do you want to.

Also, there is THE city, meaning OKC, there is Darko, meaning Anadarko, and Lawton is just Lawton.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Well of course, everyone knows the "City" is OkC, and it's not "miamee" is Miamah okla.. The one in Florida is Miamee. And the real hillbillys come from arkansas :wink:

ng

S

Smee

Well I swannee! (I declare) you uns talks funny. Well, I gotta head to the chalkaircenter (child care center) n git my gurl.

TexasTee, 'bout them skeeters . . . well, I swannee (I wondered --- yep, means both and more) how big they got down thar.

Far - burns things

Line - Big cat that roars

I remember when my daddy-in-law n me went fishin. We's in a tent and heared some talking. He looked out the flap and it was two skeeters the size of Cooter Brown. The first one sez: "I say, lets take em down-t-river and suck their blood." The other one sez, "No! The BIG skeeters 'll take em away from us!"

dpitt8

May 2, 2008
wa
nothing as drastic up here. Lots of Indian names for places and rivers (try to keep all the S rivers straight...its great fun). Some of our unique ones are weather related (sunbreak, thunder bumper). Wish I could remember more but my brain is fried at work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread