Pentagon to screen forces for mental illness

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
This is in response to the Fort Hood massacre and the rising suicide rate.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/11/18/2746709.htm

I've spoken before of the 20percenters, that percentage in the general population that
have a mental health problem. As with the jail population, will it be found to be much higher
than 20 % in the armed forces.

This is probably a fear response after US President Barack Obama said he would hold to account those who missed warning signs that could have prevented a shooting rampage on a Texas army base earlier this month that killed 13 people.

This leaves no doubt who the Commander in Chief is.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems like you are easily impressed from over there.

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
This Commander in Chief...?

alg_bow_barack-obama.jpg

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, yet another degrading moment for the USA from the chosen one.

For all other visiting heads of state & dignitaries, a simple handshake will do.

I think piggy is impressed with O simply because of his muslim roots and his time spent in muslim Indonesian schools.

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
Yes, our beloved commander in chief who subscribes fully to the mental illness known as political correctness. People afflicted with this political correctness disorder and others folk's pathetic desire for "diversity" are directly responsible for the deaths and injuries perpetrated on our troops at Ft. Hood.. That is change you can believe in :-\.... Gpurs..

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
The focus on suicide awareness is not new. The rising suicide rate has been a concern in the military. As far as our president bowing...what about GWB kissing a Saudi prince on the lips?

OP
OP
pygmy

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
When in Rome , do as the Romans do.
So when he bowed to the Saudi King he was a Muslim , but when he
bowed to the Japanese Emperor he became a Shinto Buddhist.

One wonders how this disrespectful attitude came about among some folks.
Was it their upbringing.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pigster, it is not all that complex.
Bowing in a circumstance like that shows humility, subservience & deference - Traits not typical of American presidents.
He doesn't quite seem to understand that this is not all about him, and when he goes out on these foreign jaunts he is representing the people of the USA and the office of the presidency, and fawning conduct like that is simply demeaning to both.

OP
OP
pygmy

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Xraywolf said:
Pigster, it is not all that complex.
Bowing in a circumstance like that shows humility, subservience & deference - Traits not typical of American presidents.
He doesn't quite seem to understand that this is not all about him, and when he goes out on these foreign jaunts he is representing the people of the USA and the office of the presidency, and fawning conduct like that is simply demeaning to both.
I don't wish to insult the folks of the USA , but don't you think it's time to get over
this superior attitude.
Remember He was in the countries of these Heads of State and it's important for the
people of those countries to see their supreme leaders respected. This is how friends are
made and kept.
If America had a custom where visiting Dignitaries kissed the Presidents naked foot
then I'm sure that would happen.
Customs should be respected.
Furthermore, you said "a circumstance like that" ; exactly and has nothing to do with
showing humility, subservience & deference .
Remember this is your perception which I consider incorrect.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Compare what you said to the clip I posted of dozens of foreign heads of state *not bowing* but simply shaking hands.
What I said exactly applies, though I could repeat it wouldn't do any good with you - I quite understand, it is very pleasing for non Americans to see a USA CinC behave in such an unprecedented docile fashion, and that of course produces the opposite reaction from me and many others.

As for being "superior", America won her position in the pacific region through sheer force of arms, like it or not that is a superior position.
Had American not whipped the Japanese Empire, your region would have been a vassal colony for Japan to feed it with raw materials & labor, so I think our victory was probably a good thing for you too.

OP
OP
pygmy

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Having a superior military position is different to having a superior attitude
towards ones allies.
I believe your attitude is backward looking.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
piggy said:
Having a superior military position is different to having a superior attitude
towards ones allies.
I believe your attitude is backward looking.

Never having had a superior military position, I guess you wouldn't know anything about that, now would you ?

And BTW, I'll point out the obvious and state that *not bowing* to a foreign head of state is hardly showing a superior attitude.
He doesn't need to demean the office of the presidency and the people which it represents to show everyone what a great, respectful guy he is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread