Do you remember

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We moved into town when I was 5 years old because my Mama didn't want me to ride a bus to school. Before that, my Dad was a sharecropper and we never lived in a house that had it's own well. I remember helping carry water from a neighbor's well about 1/4 mile away. I was only 4-5 years old so I had to carry a couple of 1-gallon syrup cans full of water and those damned wire bales would cut into my hands; especially during the cold weather.

On priming the pump; you'd better have a gallon bucket of water because if the leather valve in the pump was worn, it might take a gallon (a dipper at a time) to get the well water up the pipe to the base of the plunger were all of the air pocket would be "flushed".

Also used the rope and pulley system to lower that specially designed well bucket down the well pipe. That bucket was about 4 or 5 inches in diameter by about 3 feet in length. It had a hinged bottom made of wood or leather to allow the water to fill the bucket from the bottom. Without that flipper valve in the bottom, the bucket would just float and not fill. The well casing where this type bucket was used was only about 10 inches in diameter.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I can still remember the pump on the end of the sink by the back door, even though we had running
water, mom would still use the water from the old pump for coffee, that water tasted a heck of a lot
better than the stuff from the city

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Remember Somone Priming a Pump when I Was very young
any Comment Who would be Strictly a Guess.

I Remember going outside My Uncles House
with a blue long handle water cup
to get drinks out the well bucket
when we would visit.

as far as I Know, it is still their only
Water source.

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in 1981 I rented a small house . The kitchen sink had an iron hand pump . I always had to keep a jug of water handy to prime it . Out in the back yard was an outhouse .

One winter morn I drudged through the snow to to do my business . While sitting on the hole , something fell from a shelf above me . It landed in my pubic hair . It was a newly born mouse . It was all pink and wrinkly , eyes weren't yet open . I carefully removed it from my crotch and looked up , the mother mouse was staring down at me . I gave her baby back . She pull it into an old rolled-up screen that was stored up there , I guess that's where the nest was .

The rent was cheap :o

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At my Grandmother's farm back in the 60's, I remember a well in the back yard, outside the kitchen door.
I also remember the crank-up phone on the wall, a Stromberg & Carlson? She also had a crank-up record player, maybe a "Silvertone." There was an old tube radio that took forever to warm up! The antenna was a wire strung up through the trees.

Scott

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
-Back in the late thirtys I helped drive our first well. Before that my dad had to go down a hill and ,using a yoke carry two five gallon cans of water from a flowing well . One time in January,he slipped and fell and was drenched. The language used that day was enlightening. Does that make me an old fart????

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
My early years were of carrying water from a spring quite aways off for drinking water. For any other purposes it was taken from the nearby lake or melted snow in winter. Later we had a shallow well and pump that would freeze solid in winter and had to be thawed and then primed with a teakettle of hot water. Still later we finally hired a contractor to drill a well. Irony, he struck a flowing well at 26 feet and about ten feet from the kitchen.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lonesomebob said:
-Back in the late thirtys I helped drive our first well. Before that my dad had to go down a hill and ,using a yoke carry two five gallon cans of water from a flowing well . One time in January,he slipped and fell and was drenched. The language used that day was enlightening. Does that make me an old fart????

Nooooooo............an old turd..............welcome to the club. :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :thumbsup:

I remember watching my Mama wash clothes in a cast iron pot set on live coals in the back yard. Her hands would be beet red and her knuckles would crack from the cold. That is why I have NO SYMPATHY for these whining, sniffling members of the "younger" generation. When they have any problems, they just want to stand around picking their noses, waiting for someone else to take care of them instead of doing for themselves.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mojjax said:
Back in 1981 I rented a small house . The kitchen sink had an iron hand pump . I always had to keep a jug of water handy to prime it . Out in the back yard was an outhouse .

One winter morn I drudged through the snow to to do my business . While sitting on the hole , something fell from a shelf above me . It landed in my pubic hair . It was a newly born mouse . It was all pink and wrinkly , eyes weren't yet open . I carefully removed it from my crotch and looked up , the mother mouse was staring down at me . I gave her baby back . She pull it into an old rolled-up screen that was stored up there , I guess that's where the nest was .

The rent was cheap :o

You have far stronger nerves than I. I probably would have jumped up and the poor guy would have fell in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread