Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
dealers.

I ordered a coil from a small online dealer two weeks ago because I was told the coil was in stock and would go right out. I waited 4 days but no promised tracking number.

So they have my money and now after 2 weeks still no tracking number.

I've emailed several times but zero replies.

I've called 3 times and get the same "the order is at my supplier."

Ya know something, larger dealers are starting to look better to me.

Over a year ago I ordered a "Sherlock" pinpointer on sale for like $50 from another smaller online dealer out of New York. It came defective and I was told I had to return it to the company myself. I sent it in to that company and now over a year later have heard nothing.

Hum, enough is enough.

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
Small dealers can be chancey, but I have always had good luck. I never use a small dealer unless someone else has referred them to me first. Sorry for your run of bad luck...

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything online can be risky.

I go with SMALL dealers in person.

and BIG dealers online.

-Buckles

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
The problem is this dealer did come highly recommended.

I think the issue is his supplier.

One big problem with tiny dealers (like the one who sold me the coil) is they rely on "drop shippers."

Badger

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan Badger said:

One big problem with tiny dealers (like the one who sold me the coil) is they rely on "drop shippers."

Badger

Absolutely. They have no steady, rain/snow/sleet/hail supply.

That's why I deal in person. If I'm buying something as costly as a detector, I'm walking out with it in my hands. :)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a dealer doesn't want to tie up the $$$ in stock they should have very clear communication with both the customer and their supplier, and not commit to a deal they can't pull off.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Michigan Badger said:

Badger

Absolutely. They have no steady, rain/snow/sleet/hail supply.

That's why I deal in person. If I'm buying something as costly as a detector, I'm walking out with it in my hands. :)

Over the last ten years I have probably bought more off the net than in person. I probably would have also considered purchasing my TV online if it had crossed my mind. Even with the shipping I have saved hundreds and hundreds of dollars on various items. The one I really shake my head on is spending over $300 for a TV wall mount when I probably could have bought one off Ebay for half the cost. It's even more stupid because I was buying speakers, receiver etc. off the E and the mount didn't enter my mind because the TV was a local, and I just added it to the bill. The other thing is I often can't find what I want here so online I go. I should also say I have never had any problems so will continue to import my goodies. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree Iron Patch,

Deals online can save a lot of money. The thing I like about local is easy returns if something isn't right.

In my office we go through a lot of printers. I always buy replacements off ebay because they're about 40% less than local. One time one was defective so I called Canon and they had a new printer to us within two days postpaid.

We need 6 more folding tables for our lunchroom and I'll order them tomorrow. Locally the prices are nuts.

One thing I won't buy online is an ice cream cone ;D

Badger

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan Badger said:
I agree Iron Patch,

Deals online can save a lot of money. The thing I like about local is easy returns if something isn't right.

In my office we go through a lot of printers. I always buy replacements off ebay because they're about 40% less than local. One time one was defective so I called Canon and they had a new printer to us within two days postpaid.

We need 6 more folding tables for our lunchroom and I'll order them tomorrow. Locally the prices are nuts.

One thing I won't buy online is an ice cream cone ;D

Badger

I did shop a lot online, but always give my purchase a lot of thought. I bought a pair of fairly large infinity speakers.... now that would have been a drag to have to send back! Glad they made it in perfect condition. Most other things wouldn't have been too bad.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread