boopchapman7456

Aug 24, 2007
illinois
Detector(s) used
ace 250
at pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all, Even though I am a newbie here i have been reading all u guys write about your finds for a couple of years now. But i have a big question for you. As i scroll down TNet site i come down to who all is on this site. So many members, guests, and those who are hidden. So my question is why would u hide?? I know its a dumb question but i guess i just don"t understand why would u wish to remain hidden! I told u all it is a dumb question lol. Boo

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I'm near 5,000 posts and can't answer that one either. I really can't think of what the point is so I won't be hidden anytime soon.

OP
OP
B

boopchapman7456

Aug 24, 2007
illinois
Detector(s) used
ace 250
at pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well at least i got on answer, thank you iron patch for at least answering this post. I really wanted to see how many answers i did get. hh to u :headbang:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boopchapman7456 said:
well at least i got on answer, thank you iron patch for at least answering this post. I really wanted to see how many answers i did get. hh to u :headbang:

I see some very regular posters who must stay hidden because even while they post their status shows offline. Maybe they are hiding from their shadow... and I don't mean an X-5. ;D

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly I never even looked to see who was hidden and didn't even know you could check their status. I guess they must have a reason, but if they tell it, then we'll all know their little secret. :tongue3:

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its for those that are in the Federal Witness Protection Program.

Aw, nuts!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Mine is hidden I guess. Actually I don't even recall how it happened. I was making some changes back a year or two ago and somehow must have hit the wrong or right button.

To me this has never been an issue with anyone but now that I know it bugs somebody I think I'll leave it. ;D

Okay, just kidding (I think).

I'll see about changing this soon.

But I must admit I don't even see where that really matters. The posts a person makes is what's really important.

Maybe to uncover the deep dark secret one could ask Marc why he included this option. Just a thought.

Badger the hider

OP
OP
B

boopchapman7456

Aug 24, 2007
illinois
Detector(s) used
ace 250
at pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for your answers, I don't check to see who is hidden, but as I read the topics and scroll, I see Member list and that is usually when i see so many members are hidden. After a while I just started wondering why some members would want to hide that they were on line. It was just out of curiosity that i posted this to see the answers. I'm not trying to be nosy and if so I apologise right now Boo

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
I think some folks just like to be spooky and secretive. Fake e-mail addresses, multiple-usernames, no location given, hidden status ...

Maybe they think the 'gummint' is going to get all their treasure. :laughing7:

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Saturna said:
I think some folks just like to be spooky and secretive. Fake e-mail addresses, multiple-usernames, no location given, hidden status ...

Maybe they think the 'gummint' is going to get all their treasure. :laughing7:

Nah, it's the boogie man. Either him or FreetoDetect.

Attachments

• boogieMan.jpg
    boogieMan.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 560

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Freetodetect? Now there's a name I haven't seen in a long time. Last I heard he/she was going to go to another forum and show us all. Dang, I've been here a long time! Monty

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Monty said:
Freetodetect? Now there's a name I haven't seen in a long time. Last I heard he/she was going to go to another forum and show us all. Dang, I've been here a long time! Monty

Ya you have Monty, I still recall your first day. I was "Minelab" then but that was when we could delete our accounts with a single click. I had two or three accounts even before that going back to the beginning.

I recall when Marc still had acne and before Sherm had a beard. By the way, where is Sherm? Did he do a naughty?

Free is over on the Friendly Detector forum (different name) and is doing a good job there. I also have had an account there since about 07 as I recall.

Badger

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:

free "Pete" is doing well and writing a book

not sure where Sherm is
possably alien abduction

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang, Glad there are still some old timers around. I think we kept the forum going for a couple of years didn't we? I remember I was kinda' feeling sorry for Free but when I found out she was a he it kinda' pissed me off since I was taking up for her. At least I didn't flirt like a couple of guys did! ;D I never was really mad at Pete, just felt rather foolish and perhaps taken advantage of. Oh well, Old sores heal fast. We since have acquired several really nice folks and except for a few that are out in left field I enjoy visiting with most of them. Glad everyone isn't the same though or this would be a boring world. I am not one to get mad or stay mad long at least. And I don't take anything too seriously and my sense humor sometimes confuses people. Why I am getting so philosophical I don't know, just came out. Hell, I love everybody. Monty

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
some folks do "research" and do not want other folks to know what their researching * --think mel fisher while out looking for the atocha --wanted others to "follow him" around when he went to the archives to look up shipwreck info -- listening in as he asked the curator to look at "certain papers" by number and lot --so that they could the "piggy back"on his research as soon as he left? --- I think not.

plus some folks are just secertive by their nature , then there is the "fringe" crowd -- that vainly tries to stall "big brother" from knowing all about them and their online habits and what their looking at.

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
some folks do "research" and do not want other folks to know what their researching * --think mel fisher while out looking for the atocha --wanted other to "follow him" around when he went to the archives to look up shipwreck info -- listening in as he asked the curator to look at "certain papers" by number and lot --so that they could the "piggy back" on his research as soon as he left? --- I think not.

plus some folks are just secertive but their nature , then there is the "fringe" crowd -- that vainly tries to stall "big brother" from knowing all about them and their online habits and what their looking at.

Best answer :thumbsup:

Also don't forget that some members have their own personal stalkers that follow them post to post.

It's a good tool to use :wink:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeep said:
ivan salis said:
some folks do "research" and do not want other folks to know what their researching * --think mel fisher while out looking for the atocha --wanted other to "follow him" around when he went to the archives to look up shipwreck info -- listening in as he asked the curator to look at "certain papers" by number and lot --so that they could the "piggy back" on his research as soon as he left? --- I think not.

plus some folks are just secertive but their nature , then there is the "fringe" crowd -- that vainly tries to stall "big brother" from knowing all about them and their online habits and what their looking at.

Best answer :thumbsup:

Also don't forget that some members have their own personal stalkers that follow them post to post.

It's a good tool to use :wink:

Ok, am I just being extra dumb today?

How does making your online status as hidden have anything to do with, or being an advantage to keeping your research secret, or people from finding your posts?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
not hidden from the finding of your post --if you post it you clearly WANT it to be read --

but hidden from others as in knowing what your reading and in which forum . -- because they might "piggy back" behind you --to see if they can piece together info by what your veiwing and then looking into it -- in other words "following" you as you research stuff

I like to think of T NET as a treasure hunting library full of info -- say your looking for a treasure , folks know your good at researching stuff , but either they suck at it or just are plain "lazy" ---however they do not want to pay you or share $$$$ with you for your research --but they still want to know what you know and what your "researching" for free -- so they follow you into the library and see what books you pull out --later they go "see" what the book you pulled was about --thus getting a peek into what your doing and if they are also working on finding the same thing as you -- you might just lead them to a clue they need to beat you to whatever your after --yes treasure hunting can be a cat and mouse game at times.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Spooky said:
Because WHAT I do and WHERE and WHEN I do it is MY BUSINESS.

As simple as that.

And I won't be "guilted" or "shamed" into spewing it out there.

Kinda like the statement commonly used by government thugs to ease 'compliance": "Well, If you have nothing to HIDE.. "

NO..
BULL$HIT.
STOP.. END STATEMENT..

YOU PROVE why you NEED my information..

:hello:
There's not much anyone does online that is simply THEIR BUSINESS...

Why so much animosity?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
littlejohn said:
how do you even make yourself hidden.
i look and look and could not find no way to do it?

This is how I do it.

Attachments

• stock-photo-orangutan-ape-playing-and-hiding-funny-photo-720775.jpg
    stock-photo-orangutan-ape-playing-and-hiding-funny-photo-720775.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 456

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread