Are you a smoker.....????

discovery_bound

Feb 4, 2008
South Dakota, B&R in Montana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Greetings fellow T-Netters,
This may be a dumb idea, I don't know guess we'll see. I want to dedicate this thread to people who smoke and would like to QUIT smoking. This can be a 'stop smoking support thread' for those of us who may need some extra support to make it a success. Many of us here at T-Net are just as close as we are to our own families, and maybe someone could get a good use out of this. I recently viewed a thread which talked about cigarette contents, and boy did it really get me thinking. If you used to be a smoker and were successful at quitting, please chime in and let us know how you did it and what worked for you.

I started smoking when I was 18, gave into the peer pressure of the college influence I guess. I currently smoke about 3/4 of a pack/day and have tried to quit a few times, but nothing successful. When I was younger, it didn't seem to bother me as I was still very active in different sports. 14yrs later, and I wake up feeling like crap every single day. There are so many reasons I want to quit, but for some reason this addiction has over-taken my will power. I was prescribed Wellbutrin last year to help me quit, and while it did allow me to smoke less I never truly quit. Quitting cold turkey makes me have a very short fuse and get a bit looney after 3 days. I'm thinking of the Chantix (sp?) and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it, and what to expect as far as any side effects.

Anyway, my hopes are that this thread will be helpful to at least one person and hopefully many more. Let's hear what you have to say, and maybe we can all find success in quitting.

DB

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nah, I'm a Joker, and a midnight Toker...

Scott

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
read about the FSC cigarettes * the carpet glue they use to make it "go out" --is 100% deadly stuff -- it "fast tracks" smokers to the graveyard ---they using it to kill off the smokers -- to avoid the long term high health care cost of " the baby boomer" smokers -- smoke those puppies you will die much much faster than the old fashioned smokes.

OP
OP
discovery_bound

discovery_bound

Feb 4, 2008
South Dakota, B&R in Montana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
ivan salis said:
read about the FSC cigarettes

That's exactly what I was reading up on....I actually threw the rest of my pack of smokes in the trash. Hopefully cold turkey will work this time....if not I'll have to find something that will.

DB

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ah...the 70's...

Scott

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to love cigars but quit due to my wife hating them.

Now I'm glad I quit when I was young. I've seen too many die slowly and painfully because of those nasty things.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched my Mom draw her last breath, dying of lung cancer on December 20th, 2001 at 2:15pm.
There's no doubt that smoking is bad for you. Recent science has bourne that out.
I once heard a doctor say that ANY smoke is bad.

Alas, I am a tobacco user. I hand-roll Bugler cigarettes. Since they are hand-rolled=more hassle=less rolled=less smoked=good?

Ah, WTH!
Everybody's gonna die of sum thin' some time....
(then I ask, "Where 'bouts you be goin' to?")

Hope all are Healthy and Happy,
Scott

S

stefen

Between Agent Orange and cigarettes, my younger brother, Dan died 3 years ago...

Really miss him...

Whenever I hear the Irish song 'Danny Boy' being played, I lose it...

Time to quit guys...

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been smoking before I was a teenager and still trying to quit. Chantrix may be a good option for you as it seems to work. I was on it for a while before I lost my job and could no longer afford the medicine. It does has some side effects, but I had no symptoms of any of them. You pretty much take it and continue smoking as normal, within 2 weeks the drug starts to kick in and you just reduce smoking without thinking about it. I was a 2 pack a day smoker and was down to 1/2 pack a day by the 2nd month. I went cold turkey for 4 months last year, but that was it. Still at a pack a day, but I will kick it again, mind over matter. Good luck

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just remembered, I heard something on the news today about a new vaccine that may work. I missed the story, but I am sure it will be all over the news again soon.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once, I tried to quit and they put me on the patches.

Didn't work, don't you know; I couldn't keep 'em lit! :tongue3:

Scott

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
I've smoked for 50 years . 3 to 5 pack a day for the 20 yrs I was trucking . 6 yrs ago that = $350 a month Marlboro habit . Now I smoke a pipe for about $25 a month and still wish I could quit .
COPD , tripple bypass , high BP , all the rest of the sad song .
Nothing ,either over the counter or prescription , has helped me totally quit tobacco .

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a teenager I remember my Father telling me " if you smoke or do any drugs, you wont have to worry about what they will do to you, you'll have to worry about what I will do to you." Now being that my Father was one of the strongest men I have ever met who was I to argue. So glad I listen to him. He took his own life last july, and words cant describe how much I miss him. Good luck quiting guys. You will be better for it.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, but it actually surprises me considering I used to drink on a daily basis and smoke when I drank. When someone lights one close to me I actually like the small, and feel I am very susceptible to becoming addicted, but then if I have one I usually put it out half way through. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
I am now 79 and quit cold turkey over 50 years ago. But I will still follow a good smelling pipe for a few yards. I love the smell but dont need tobacco anymore. Bob Hang in there ,you CAN do it cold turkey.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started smoking probably around 12 years old. Continued smoking through adulthood into my 50's where it had expanded to a 2 pack a day plus habit. Dr. gave me a prescription for Chantix and my insurance paid for most of that. I kept smoking while taking the Chantix and had none of the side effects they said "could" happen. I didn't have much faith in it working but, all of a sudden, I just didn't have the urge anymore. I was shocked! Because I didn't have the immediate urge I put my cigarettes out in the workshop where I didn't have immediate access to them but still had them around if "needed". After about a week of not smoking I threw out the smokes I had available and gritted my teeth just knowing I was going to have a nicotine fit. Never happened! I quit on Dec. 19th at 4:30am, 2006 and don't miss it at all. :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread