spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well besides practical jokes I am also well known for making fun, or embarrassing moments. I have a slew of these stories as well. So there is never a dull moment in my company. This is before I even started to MD, as this is my second year into this great hobby.

On the weekends Terry and I loved to hit the beaches, or lakes that NJ has to offer. We decided to hit one of the lakes out west and set off. We would always start our trip by hitting a supermarket along the way, so we pulled over and loaded up on goodies, several cheeses, meats, salads, etc.. We arrived at the lake early, so we were able to find the perfect spot, offering both shade and sun. It was a truly beautiful day, hot, yet dry, and very sunny. We had everything we wanted, food, music, books and of course backgammon. It was the most perfect date I have ever had and really just felt romantic. I am not a typical romantic sort, but I felt it this day and so did she. As the day wore on we just couldn't believe how perfect it was. I told her, "When we get home, we'll make love until we both pass out". See, I am not that romantic, but I am funny.

What can ruin a perfect day like this? I'll tell you what can.

On the way home I seemed to have a big problem with my accelerator, the linkage snapped. Luckily I was able to Jerry rig it so I was able to move about 25mph. We still had 50 miles to go. After a while I told her, let me pull over, I may be able to squeeze out another few mph's. I learned that day I am no auto mechanic, now we were rolling along at 20mph. We knew we couldn't finish the trip because the on ramps were coming more frequently and we were already driving in the stop lanes.
We finally decided to pull onto the grass and call AAA. They would be able to get to us in an hour, perhaps a little longer. We gave them our mile marker and decided to wait. This was about 7pm if I am not mistaken, so we would make the most of it. Being the trooper she is we just unloaded the car set up our chairs on the grass, eating and drinking soda, waving at the cars zipping by just to pass time. We had many a strange look, but I told her it was funny, people will think we are having a 'white trash", picnic. We both had a good laugh.

Well about 8:30 AAA finally rolled up and we were on our way. We still had at least a 45 minute ride ahead and the day up to this point was good. We figured the worst was behind us and we would be home soon and ready to relax. Sometimes nothing goes as planned. 15 minutes away from the gas station the skies opened up and there was a torrential rain and thunder storm raging. We dropped my car and the tow operator dropped us near our house. We only had to run maybe 1 1/2 blocks, but we were drenched. I had to peel the clothes off of me. I kept reminding her how romantic the day was until the ride home. Her words, "Don't even think about it"

I didn't.... Sometimes you just have to make the best out of a bad situation, we did..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread