My dogs bark collar...

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
First off, I love my dog, but I'm scared that some idiot might try to hurt her because sometimes she barks too much. There are just too many people in this world that would throw poison over the fence just so they can make her stop barking, so I bought it many years ago to stop her from barking (my back yard sides next to a public sidewalk and she barks a LOT when people walk by with other dogs). Since then I've barely, if at all, used it. And today I brought it out again because she was a little more talkative than usual. I put it on and waited. A while later, her favorite dog (barking target) comes along and she goes wild like usual, and nothing happens. It doesn't phase her a bit... so I take it off, measure the battery voltage, it's o.k... I put it against my own throat and start barking... NOTHING. Then I'm thinking, perhaps it needs to be a 'fresh' battery. So, I charge it a little, put it back in and test it again on myself.

OUCH! (yeah, the battery wasn't fresh).

Incidentally, the main reason I bought it was I once had this neighbor that seemed a bit off. He biatched and moaned because of her barking. I wouldn't put it passed any psyco's these days to do something really stupid. It's kind of like the old saying, "Its' going to hurt me a lot more than it hurts you".

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Odd , how folks deal with their pets . We have an Austrailian shepard rescue dog we got when she was just weaned .
She's 4 now . A working farm dog and a member of the family that lives in/dominates the house . Early on we explained to her that barking would only be tolerated if we working cows or grandkids or in an emergency . She has learned how to become quite vocal without barking .
Different whines and growls tell us if there are squirrels or deer in the yard or if we are getting a visitor we wish to see or don't . She only barks if told to while we are working cattle
or if she feels we or she is threatened .
Never used electronic devices .

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
truckinbutch said:
Odd , how folks deal with their pets . We have an Austrailian shepard rescue dog we got when she was just weaned .
She's 4 now . A working farm dog and a member of the family that lives in/dominates the house . Early on we explained to her that barking would only be tolerated if we working cows or grandkids or in an emergency . She has learned how to become quite vocal without barking .
Different whines and growls tell us if there are squirrels or deer in the yard or if we are getting a visitor we wish to see or don't . She only barks if told to while we are working cattle
or if she feels we or she is threatened .
Never used electronic devices .

Yep, I would would love to not hurt my dear puppy (now 5?). But, with the amount of people that pass through my area, she picks up on the slightest thing. For example, she 'talks' to the squirrels in my yard. She lets them know that they are o.k. with scavenging around the the trees, but if they get close to her spot, the back porch, everything there is off limits to them. I've seen them out there 'talking' many of times.

A long time ago, another neighbor 2 houses down (has a collie), he used to let his dog run wild for a few moments very day. This collie just loved running up and down my fence, singing (barking) up a storm with my Heidi. Since then, Heidi has learned this bad habit from the collie. So, you see, when you're in a public place, animals will pick up bad habits from their surroundings, kind of like children. Like I said, it hurts me much more than it hurts her... but by god, I'd rather her get a little shock, than me having to bury her because some nut threw some poison over the fence.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
I hear you and agree .
I HAVE NEVER MET A MAN WHO'S LIFE I VALUED ABOVE THAT OF A GOOD DOG .
( Hurt my dog and I'll kill ya .)

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
truckinbutch said:
I hear you and agree .

Your darn right my friend. I am the keeper of my doggies, and I'd be willing to concock some evil ways to hurt a human if they ever hurt my doggies.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mikeofaustin said:
truckinbutch said:
I hear you and agree .

Your darn right my friend. I am the keeper of my doggies, and I'd be willing to concock some evil ways to hurt a human if they ever hurt my doggies.

Amen! Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 190
OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
texastee2007 said:
Mike ours' is a pitbull mixed with blue tick healer...when we first got him he was a very stubborn dog. He decided to start running with the Border collie next door and was getting Porcupined...wish I had taken pictures...5 times. I was very afraid for his life...that he might start chasing goats and be shot which would be very understandable. In our area they also put out cyanide lollipops varmint control which kill anything that bites it.

I was able to borrow one with a 2 mile range...now mind you this dog had learned to hunker down and look right at us when we called and try to hide. I put the collar on him when I finally caught up with him and waited...sure enough he went on walkabout....and was a good 1 mile away...I could hear him yelp. This collar also had a tone on it. He came running like he had bees after him...only had to hit him with a number 3 twice...after that it was all about the tone...no matter where he was he was called...given an opportunity to respond....then if I could see him and he didn't come..he was toned. He would always come home with incredible speed...now he doesn't go on walkabout without checking with me...LOL I would love to have a collar like that now because it has been over a year and he has started coming out of the back of the pickup without invitation and he needs a tuneup.

as a dog lover, you did the right thing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread