"bulk garbage collection" from the city: and thrown away lawnmowers

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
"bulk garbage collection" from the city: and thrown away lawnmowers

it never fails. Every year when the city has bulk collection, a once a year occurrence, when the city says you can throw away your 'bulk' trash (aka: refrigerators, beds, couches, lawnmowers), I see at least a half dozen lawnmowers that look almost new on the curb in my neighborhood. All I do is take the carb off, clean it, pull the head, make sure the valves are working, put oil in it and away it goes. This weekend wasn't anything different. A brand new mower. I pulled the cord and immediately knew that the oil was low (I could feel the engine was just about seized). I filled the oil with 80W, got the mud out of the carb (rain?), put some new gas in it and I told my friend, as I re-assembled it, "I bet it'll start on first pull". Low and behold, a few squirts from the primer bulb and it started right up.

People: If you have a lawnmower that doesn't work next year after putting it away this year... its' the easiest thing to fix. Just some cleaning is all it'll take..., and about 30 minutes. That beats the hack out of spending 200 for another mower.

The only thing I was disappointed with, is while I was fixing it, my friend (who I was donating the lawnmower to) said, "But I want a self-propelled".

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: "bulk garbage collection" from the city: and thrown away lawnmowers

What I like ,is when someone put out anything that has a cord(aka electrical),it's there on day and the next day it's been CUT-OFF. :headbang: :hello2: :laughing7:

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx

HA! I see that too! I've even thought about it myself, if I need a cord. But... lawnmowers are the ultimate prize. Perhaps I should start selling them back to the neighborhood.... or even give them a year warranty. Heck, it'll only take my 30 minutes max to fix the dang thing.

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett

In my travels on curb day , I scored three chainsaws two routers and a Milwaukee saw, a machinist chest in bad condition and three weed whackers and a lawn tractor, also a bench top drill press and a complete zero clearance fire place ,a trombone in pristine condition . Ya gotta get up early. all those items did or will work,with some tender loving care. Oh and a duffel bag with a complete camo hunting suit complete with compass. Keep the eyes open. Bob

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida

whenI lived in the Historic district here in town I had an outbuilding and kept an old late 60 fridge in it whereI kept some veggies and meat etc. I didnt know it but when we had a bad storm on week,the breakers out there blew. I went about a week and ahlaf without checking back there and when I did I smelled a light stank. I sniffed around and made it to the fridge, I opened the fridge and saw the hog meat in there turned to liquid and baout threw up. I wasnt gonna clean this . I pulled it out and duct taped the thing and dragged it out front to the curb. Within an hour the city crews were coming down the road going back to the shop a few blocks away the tree crew with the truck that has the clw thing stopped and the older man got out and they had that thing loaded in no time. I watched it all out the window.
I couold care less how much the fridge might have worth, I would have loved to see thier faces when they cut that thing open

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread