The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some good news for us coffee drinkers...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/05/100517111937.htm

Caffeine May Slow Alzheimer's Disease and Other Dementias, Restore Cognitive Function, According to New Evidence
ScienceDaily (May 17, 2010) — Although caffeine is the most widely consumed psychoactive drug worldwide, its potential beneficial effect for maintenance of proper brain functioning has only recently begun to be adequately appreciated. Substantial evidence from epidemiological studies and fundamental research in animal models suggests that caffeine may be protective against the cognitive decline seen in dementia and Alzheimer's disease (AD).

A special supplement to the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, "Therapeutic Opportunities for Caffeine in Alzheimer's Disease and Other Neurodegenerative Diseases," sheds new light on this topic and presents key findings.

Guest editors Alexandre de Mendonça, Institute of Molecular Medicine and Faculty of Medicine, University of Lisbon, Portugal, and Rodrigo A. Cunha, Center for Neuroscience and Cell Biology of Coimbra and Faculty of Medicine, University of Coimbra, Portugal, have assembled a group of international experts to explore the effects of caffeine on the brain. The resulting collection of original studies conveys multiple perspectives on topics ranging from molecular targets of caffeine, neurophysiological modifications and adaptations, to the potential mechanisms underlying the behavioral and neuroprotective actions of caffeine in distinct brain pathologies.

"Epidemiological studies first revealed an inverse association between the chronic consumption of caffeine and the incidence of Parkinson's disease," according to Mendonça and Cunha. "This was paralleled by animal studies of Parkinson's disease showing that caffeine prevented motor deficits as well as neurodegeneration "Later a few epidemiological studies showed that the consumption of moderate amounts of caffeine was inversely associated with the cognitive decline associated with aging as well as the incidence of Alzheimer's disease. Again, this was paralleled by animal studies showing that chronic caffeine administration prevented memory deterioration and neurodegeneration in animal models of aging and of Alzheimer's disease."

Key findings presented in "Therapeutic Opportunities for Caffeine in Alzheimer's Disease and Other Neurodegenerative Diseases":

• Multiple beneficial effects of caffeine to normalize brain function and prevent its degeneration
  • Caffeine's neuroprotective profile and its ability to reduce amyloid-beta production
  • Caffeine as a candidate disease-modifying agent for Alzheimer's disease
  • Positive impact of caffeine on cognition and memory performance
  • Identification of adenosine A2A receptors as the main target for neuroprotection afforded by caffeine consumption
  • Confirmation of data through valuable meta-analyses presented
  • Epidemiological studies corroborated by meta-analysis suggesting that caffeine may be protective against Parkinson's disease
  • Several methodological issues must be solved before advancing to decisive clinical trials

Mendonça and Cunha also observe that "the daily follow-up of patients with AD has taught us that improvement of daily living may be a more significant indicator of amelioration than slight improvements in objective measures of memory performance. One of the most prevalent complications of AD is depression of mood, and the recent observations that caffeine might be a mood normalizer are of particular interest."

The supplement was funded by the Associação Industrial e Comercial do Café, while leaving full scientific independence to all contributors. The entire issue has been made available on a no-fee basis at http://iospress.metapress.com/content/t13614762731/.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is good news :icon_thumleft: I am just finishing my second bucket for this morning :laughing7:

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Man I'll never get Alzheimer's :laughing7: but wait if all this is true why do I think and act the way I do??????

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Just Forgot I Was drinking Coffee all morning
Now I'm falling asleep

bbqbull

Oct 31, 2006
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X 70
Would somebody tell my cardiologist and family doctor this please?
They get cranky if I have one cup of coffee per day.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
Now I'm falling asleep

You just need to get off Decaf, go with the high octane stuff :tongue3:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:
jeff of pa said:
Now I'm falling asleep

You just need to get off Decaf, go with the high octane stuff :tongue3:

:tongue3: I Wouldn't Drink Decaf if I Was dying of Thirst

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
decaf cooffee and no alcohol beer -- uh whats the reason they exist agian?

folks *** coffee is supposed to have caffine in it and beer is supposed to have alcohol in it.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
decaf --whats the reason it exist agian?

decaf is like Non Alcohol Whiskey
or Wooden Windows

May as well order up a Pound of Bacon

& a Diet coke

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
jeff of pa said:
ivan salis said:
decaf --whats the reason it exist agian?

decaf is like Non Alcohol Whiskey
or Wooden Windows

May as well order up a Pound of Bacon

& a Diet coke

:thumbsup: :coffee2: <<<< I live for that last cup of the last pot of the day, the one that's so thick you could pour it over ice cream.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blacksheep said:
:thumbsup: :coffee2: <<<< I live for that last cup of the last pot of the day, the one that's so thick you could pour it over ice cream.

Wow, you can pour yours :icon_scratch: Mine is so thick you just cut a slab and chew it :laughing9:

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
spartacus53 said:
Blacksheep said:

Wow, you can pour yours :icon_scratch: Mine is so thick you just cut a slab and chew it :laughing9:

You sir, are my hero. I shall offer thanks to the java gods on your behalf each morning as I sprinkle Torke (local brand) on
my cornflakes. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• drink-coffee.jpg
    drink-coffee.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 163
F

Felinepeachy

I have to drink coffee at the same time everyday, twice a day. If I don't get my first dose by 8 am and my second dose of the stuff by three pm, I will get a horrible headache :tard

Once my hubby accidentally bought decaff and all weekend long we kept thinking there was a toxic leak in the house causing us to have really bad headaches. When we finally noticed it was decaff we went immediately to the store even though it was 1130pm. Got home, made a pot and poof, headaches were gone within 30 minutes. Now I buy all coffee related items!!

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Peach , Have ya try ed the chilled coffees from Monster. The Mean Bean, Russian and Low Ball flavors are always in our fridge :coffee2:

F

Felinepeachy

extractor said:
Peach , Have ya try ed the chilled coffees from Monster. The Mean Bean, Russian and Low Ball flavors are always in our fridge :coffee2:

Hmmm, sounds very good. I'll check them out! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread