Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Since we bought our home in November 2009, I have always ignored the refrigerator that was in our garage. I may have mentioned a few times to Ella, "This thing could be worth some money." I finally decided to research it. It turns out that the previous owner left us his grandfather's 1940s Philco refrigerator. The antique has little to no damage. In one source, I read that they sell in the range of $150-$300 in unrepaired condition. I hope this one could sell for more. I think we may put it on eBay. :headbang:

If you guys have any more information on this antique, I would appreciate it. :hello:

Kirk

Attachments

• DSCF3133.JPG
    DSCF3133.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 26,081
  • DSCF3136.JPG
    DSCF3136.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 7,259
  • DSCF3137.JPG
    DSCF3137.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 11,049
  • DSCF3141.JPG
    DSCF3141.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 35,572

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kirk PA said:
Iron Patch said:
$9.95 shipping? ;D

That is what your sunglasses are worth. ;D

Kirk

I hope not! I like my Oakleys, but don't love em, but they'll get me through this year. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 4499bd9502259.jpg
    4499bd9502259.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 5,793

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Dont know much about them but years ago I had a buddy that had one similar to yours, worked great, full of beer in his garage. He got this wild hair up his a$$ & pollished all the chrome then painted the fridge fire engine red. That thing looked so damn cool when he was done.........Ive always wanted to do that. Screw Ebay. Keep it & paint it! :icon_thumleft: ;D

OP
OP
Kirk PA

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mighty AP said:
Dont know much about them but years ago I had a buddy that had one similar to yours, worked great, full of beer in his garage. He got this wild hair up his a$$ & pollished all the chrome then painted the fridge fire engine red. That thing looked so damn cool when he was done.........Ive always wanted to do that. Screw Ebay. Keep it & paint it! :icon_thumleft: ;D

If I can get the right price for it, I will sell. It is just taking up space. Maybe the "American Pickers" will come knocking on my door. :laughing9:

Kirk

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
You may be surprised at its value. I have an early 60's refer that was my parents. The door seals are shot and I was looking on the web to see if I could find a replacement. I found a couple sites that specialize in old refer parts, restoration and sales. I could not believe what some of them are priced at. Several hundred is a low amount. Many were over a thousand. Restored of course.

candyjob34

Aug 19, 2010
Yeah, vintage refrigerator are popular nowadays. The secret is to repaint it with nice colors like blue and pink. I am sure you will appreciate it better if you will see its new color.

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
The philco that we had ,had a ww2 OPA price sticker still on it.(to you kids,opa was Office of Price administration) My aunt had to apply for permission to buy it during the war. price was regulated to prevent Gouging. Bob

S

stefen

You can have them re-enameled...or have it powdercoated...will look like new

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sell it to "Hollywood", they are making a prequel to "9 1/2 Weeks" set in the late 40's... That fridge will be a shoe in for that one memorable scene :headbang:

S

Smee

My boss had one of these on our appliance sales floor in working condition, wish I hadn't missed this post when it was new and he was still alive. He might have taken it off your hands. We still have it plugged in and it still works.

He also had one with the big thing that looks like a roof vent on top. It works as well.

S

Smee

I'm afraid it's all gonna be gone to some judge or lawyer's home.

My boss died on June 5th, and it looks like the widow is going to dragging everything through court so she can squeeze that extra dime out of his children from his first marriage.

The lawyers are having me video everything so I might even get some pics to put up of some of his antiques, coins, etc. He was a retired coin dealer.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember, when I was a kid, my folks had a refrigerator in a back room that had a little box where they had to put quarters to keep it running. I don't know if it was a way of purchasing the fridge or what but I also remember a "friend" of mine broke into the box and stole some quarters. He got busted bad!

S

Smee

Here's a quick picture of the oldest fridge.

fridge.jpg

Inside:

fridge2.JPG

The Philco is gone, as is the "General Motors" refrigerator, but we still have the old GE one

S

Smee

If you like antiques like that, I'll start a thread with some photos of my late employer's other treasures . . . maybe a bit of video as well.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kirk....your pic just gave me a flashback. I can remember when butter came in a full, i lb block. That's what that "dairy bar" slot is for in your pic huh?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread