Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Anyone ever take a drum sander to a patio deck

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Anyone ever take a drum sander to a patio deck

Have a large deck that needs to be treated before it starts to rot and a pressure washer just ain't cutting it. So... since I will have to rent a drum sander anyway, I think I'll have a go at it straight with the sander. For anyone who has done a deck do you think I'll get away with skipping the washer and saving myself many hours?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d1.jpg 
Views:	717 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	422425   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d2.jpg 
Views:	560 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	422426  

us
    May 2005
    Northern California
    2914 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: Anyone ever take a drum sander to a patio deck

You'll create low spots!!
    Banking off a Northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

gb
    May 2008
    uk
    tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
    24 times
    Banner Finds (4)

Should be ok, as long as it's fixed down well and properly dry
    Who needs Cartwheel Pennies anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by packerbacker
    You'll create low spots!!

What if I used the washer to take care of the spots, then gave it a quick once over with the sander again? To do the entire surface with the washer will take a very long time. I spent a few hours today and am still on the other side. (To the right) I gotta find an easier way. 8)

us
    May 2005
    Northern California
    2914 times

That may be ok. Ever think about biting the bullet and painting the deck? Saves a lot of work and expense.
    Banking off a Northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

Quote Originally Posted by shaun7
    Should be ok, as long as it's fixed down well and properly dry
    Well I guess we'll find out.

Quote Originally Posted by packerbacker
    That may be ok. Ever think about biting the bullet and painting the deck? Saves a lot of work and expense.

No, much prefer the wood and would stick with that even if I have to do it the hard, long way.

us
    This aint no damn flea circus!!!

Mar 2006
    Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Eastern Idaho!
    Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
    11 times

Quote Originally Posted by texastee2007
    If by drum sander you mean the ones that refinish hardwood floors, Yes. Your deck can't have badly cupped boards and absolutely no loose nails or screws...everything needs to be tight. You have to go slow and try and keep with the grain. It will turn out as good as you are careful! As someone mentioned...no moisture. Make sure you do it on a day where you can apply a finisher of some sort right away.....you sure do not want rain or blistering sun to ruin your work.....best of luck and start in a spot you don't see very well till you get the hang of it. If I can do it you can to.
    Sounds like a woman who knows how to treat a deck..............how much would it cost me to mail you out to Idaho for a couple weeks? I'll BBQ & drink beer & watch you sand & finish! My deck looks real bad, too bad in fact to even show y'all a pic! (It is after all a tar-paper shack )
    "Agitate! Agitate! Ought to be the motto of every reformer. Agitation is the opposite of stagnation...... one is life, the other death."
    -Ernestine L. Rose-

Quote Originally Posted by texastee2007
    If by drum sander you mean the ones that refinish hardwood floors, Yes. Your deck can't have badly cupped boards and absolutely no loose nails or screws...everything needs to be tight. You have to go slow and try and keep with the grain. It will turn out as good as you are careful! As someone mentioned...no moisture. Make sure you do it on a day where you can apply a finisher of some sort right away.....you sure do not want rain or blistering sun to ruin your work.....best of luck and start in a spot you don't see very well till you get the hang of it. If I can do it you can to.
    Great! I'll keep all that in mind.

gb
    May 2008
    uk
    tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
    24 times
    Banner Finds (4)

You need to go over it in different directions, finishing with the grain. Also changing grades of paper each time...course, medium and then fine.
    Who needs Cartwheel Pennies anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by shaun7
    You need to go over it in different directions, finishing with the grain.

That's what my bookmarked page states as well. Says first go against, then on a diagonal, and finish with the grain.

us
    May 2010
    NC
    whites GMT tek.alpha2000 Nokta Fores Core
    51 times

Hey friend I've been painting and in construction since I was 17. I'm 29 now and for a short stint in the military this is all I know.
    I would 1st get some deck restorer, sold at lowes, home depot, ace etc. You spray it on let it sit then rince with a pressure washer. 95% of the time they come out looking new, then you can re-treat with a wood preserver of your choice. Kinda like an acid wash for wood. Just get the most expensive because when it comes to stuff like this you get what you pay for.
    You definetly can sand it but just trying to save you some work, also be good at it or you will get some low spots. If you want specific anwsers and detailed instructions on how and what to apply hit me up and I'll give a better response.
    Oregon Viking and Gold Maven like this.

us
    manaloneblog.wordpress.com

Jun 2010
    Wherever there be treasure!
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    7088 times

In 1988 we built the current home that my parents live in now. The home has over 1000sq. feet of deck, most of that is on the second floor and it was constructed using 2 x 6 decking, which at the time we thought would be great. Now, 22 years later many of the boards are twisting and turning up on the ends and once I add the drop in the backyard I'm looking at a 16ft high repair/ replacemnt job. (Also used spiral decking nails.) Replacing the whole deck is too costly now days and refinishing is out the window because of the loose edges and settled low spots and wear. I am at a loss as to how to go about restoring this deck? Wish we would have never built it out of such heavy lumber. Uhg............
    "Treasure is wherever it can be found."

Quote Originally Posted by eureka77
    Hey friend I've been painting and in construction since I was 17. I'm 29 now and for a short stint in the military this is all I know.
    I would 1st get some deck restorer, sold at lowes, home depot, ace etc. You spray it on let it sit then rince with a pressure washer. 95% of the time they come out looking new, then you can re-treat with a wood preserver of your choice. Kinda like an acid wash for wood. Just get the most expensive because when it comes to stuff like this you get what you pay for.
    You definetly can sand it but just trying to save you some work, also be good at it or you will get some low spots. If you want specific anwsers and detailed instructions on how and what to apply hit me up and I'll give a better response.

I guess my bookmarked page is pretty good because it also talks about the restorer. I'm glad you mentioned it to get me thinking again, and I might give that a shot first because my main problem right now is that I pretty much have to blast the heck out of the wood to remove the staining. I still do need a sander from what I've done already.... but the restorer might make the rest easier.

Quote Originally Posted by bigscoop
    Replacing the whole deck is too costly now days

That's exactly why I have myself mixed up in this right now. I wish I could help you solve your problem, but I'm just the idiot who started this thread needing help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links