Blue heron-how to get rid of the rotten %&!!@#&!!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Blue heron-how to get rid of the rotten %&!!@#&!!

To all of you that have hobby ponds, do you have to deal with the herons? I know shooting them would be an effective means, but these birds are protected, so that's not an option. These birds are robbing my pond daily - fish are expensive to stock and feed, not to mention all the bullfrogs get eaten up over the summer too. Every day they are out there, they are not shy now, and won't take flight no matter how much I yell, i basically have to run and chase 'em away.
I've tried scarecrows and owl decoys, they work for a day or two, then the birds wise up and are right back gobbling up the fish. I'm at my wit's end! Anyone else have to deal with this?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Blue heron-how to get rid of the rotten %&!!@#&!!

get some Fox's & let them loose.

They won't arrest a fox :wink:

once the heron(s) are gone.

Get a license & trap the foxes for $$$$ Back

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250

A friend of mine that had a pond was having the same problem. Then he made a model of a heron and stuck it in the pond and
that kept them away. They are territorial and if they see an unknown one there they won't land. So maybe if you put 2 or 3
of the models out it will work for you. Sounds like it's worth a try. Lots of luck. Ray

WishfulThinker

Jan 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When all else fails --- revert to electronic warfare!

Use multiple motion sensors to trigger electronic predator calls that will scare off the birds .... something like coyotes howling at the moon, or predator birds screeching. Try finding game calling tapes or units at hunting/outfitting stores like Cabellas, Bass Pro Shop, or Sporting/Hunting Stores. One tape will probably be a lot less than the cost of restocking the fish. Just use outdoor or plastic horn type speakers (like used in sirens on cars). Twenty watts stereo should do it; may even drive off the neighbors.

Let us know how the venture comes out.

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300

You can buy plastic Herons online - just search for heron decoy. And, yes, it does work, but you do have to move them occasionally.

Diggem'

OP
OP
fistfulladirt

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

Thanks everyone for the replies. I might try the heron decoy, but reading reviews on this product, some buyers said that it didn't deter the birds, and some birds actually tried mating with the decoy, lol! ffd

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

Locally, the Bald eagles tend to drive them away. Patriotic, too. But the eagles are just as likely to sample the pond fare.

You could always build a high-rise next door, and have a nesting pair of Peregrines. That does a pretty good job near me too. Works pretty good for pigeons and starlings, too.

I was going to suggest Osprey, but they like fish.

I know! Get yourself a pet alligator! (Nope, they like fish too.)

Sorry. All out of suggestions. Probably just as well.

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Propane cannon! They use them in Oregon to keep the Elk off the fields.

S

stefen

fistfulladirt said:
Thanks everyone for the replies. I might try the heron decoy, but reading reviews on this product, some buyers said that it didn't deter the birds, and some birds actually tried mating with the decoy, lol! ffd

Doing a woody... :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread