Traveling to Edinburgh, Scotland

Flint-seeker

Oct 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
Hey all,

I am not certain exactly where this post should be located, so I thought I'd put it here (moderator: please move it if I am in the wrong forum).

I'm traveling to Edinburgh, Scotland for business from 8/12 through 8/24. I'll be bringing along my metal detector and was wondering if anyone wanted to meet me for some metal detecting or relic hunting! I've never metal detected outside of Ohio, USA and for that matter, this is my first time to Scotland...

Ideally, you'd have a nice, crop field, public beach or private residence we are allowed to hunt. I'm open to suggestions!

PM me if you live in the greater Edinburgh area and maybe we can work out a day of detecting!

Cheers!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending your relationship with the people you are visiting, I would even start by asking them if they know of anyone in the hobby. I'm not sure about the nature of your meetings, but you may be able to turn it into something like business being conducted on the golf course :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Flint-seeker

Flint-seeker

Oct 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
spartacus53 said:
Depending your relationship with the people you are visiting, I would even start by asking them if they know of anyone in the hobby. I'm not sure about the nature of your meetings, but you may be able to turn it into something like business being conducted on the golf course :icon_thumleft:

Funny you mention that, the person I will be working with is an avid golfer, but I am horrible! And yes, I already asked him to reach out to all his friends and family to ask if I can detect their lands!

Thanks for the reply!

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read the article. Great find. At first I thought OK it is fine to detect in Scotland. Then I read the last paragraph. It is open to a lot of interpretation. I would definitely find out before digiing one hole.

Do we have any Scottish detectorist who can help here?

Au-sekker, Good luck, be safe and find it All!

Ed D.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Detecting Laws

In England and Wales metal detecting is legal provided permission is granted by the landowner, and the area is not a Scheduled Ancient Monument or covered by elements of the Countryside Stewardship Scheme. Voluntary reporting of finds to the Portable Antiquities Scheme or the UK Detector Finds Database is encouraged. These schemes have their critics, however, including some archaeologists and metal detectorists. The situation in Scotland is very different. Under the Scots law principle of bona vacantia[1], the Crown has claim over any object of any material where the original owner cannot be traced. There is also no 300 year limit to Scottish finds. Any artifact found, whether by metal detector survey or from an archaeological excavation, must be reported to the Crown through the Treasure Trove Advisory Panel at the National Museums of Scotland. The Panel then determines what will happen to the artifacts. Reporting is not voluntary, and failure to report the discovery of historic artifacts is a criminal offense in Scotland.Archeology is beginning to recognize the contribution responsible metal detecting provides in adding to the knowledge of our past. One example is utilizing the skilled use of the metal detector to examine wide areas such as battlefield sites where surface scatters of metal objects may be all that survives.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread