***ODD JOBS

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
IF YOU LIVED LONG ENOUGH YOU HAVE BOUND TO HAVE HAD SOME " ODD JOBS".
Here's one of mine to start it off.REPO MAN
The repo man like James Bond has a license, but his is to steal cars.
Here's a couple of hazards of the trade. We went to repo an old '48 chevy that an old farmer had put $50 down and made no payments in 3 mos. He was using it to pull stumps. I couldn't believe it a 6 cyl. car used to pull stumps! It looked like easy pickins. It was 100' from his house. My partner drove up slowly and I quietly slid out and applied the hot wire and starter jumpers. The guy's blasted hound dog started howling. The old Chevy cranked and cranked and finally started. His house lit up like a Christmas tree. I heard yelling as I pulled away and what sounded like a hail storm. When we got to the impound lot, I noticed the back of the car was peppered with buckshot!

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
REPO MAN,CAR 2
This one was a '57 Chevy 2D hardtop, metallic blue, a real beauty. The guy was 3 mon. behind. We located it 2 blocks from his house, everybody that is behind in payments parks in the next block or one street over. We were ready to make the pickup when he hopped into his car and drove off with two tough looking friends. He drove to a bar about half a mile away and they all went in. We double parked beside the car and I was applying the hot wire when they came out of the bar. They spotted me under the hood and my partner sounded the horn. They had just reached us and one guy reached in his pocket. Just then a police car pulled up. They told the police that we were stealing the car. We showed the police the repo slip and stated that they were 3 mos. behind. The cop said we had the legal right to repo the car. The guy got mad and asked how much he was behind. I told him and he reached in his pocket and pulled out a roll of bills that could choke a horse. He paid off the back payments and the $50 REPO CHARGE AND DROVE OFF. The cop said they were there because they were watching the guy. He was a suspected drug dealer.

S

Smee

I love doing repos. The difference is, I have to be face to face when I repo, and usually standing in their home.

I repo furniture, appliances and electronics . . . and have for about 15 years now.

More than once we've hauled a couch out of a building while the customer was on it trying to prevent its removal. I've been beaten with a pool cue while the local police stood by watching. They warned me not to raise a hand . . . probably a good idea as I was the only non black in that neighborhood and ALL of the neighbors were outside watching.

One guy I used to work with repo'd an entire bedroom suite . . . then proceeded to burn it in the street in front of the customer's home. Not very cool, we ended up getting sued because of his temper.

I can't do my job unless the customer is present. That makes for some interesting conversations. As my buddy John knows all too well, you get some of the strangest offers from folks who won't make their payments. For instance, a man might want to swap something for a past due payment like a chainsaw or even an old shotgun . . . but the women --- well, let's just say some of the offers made by these country girls in Arkansas made me blush, and I'm from New Orleans.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Frankn and Smee ,
As both of you well know , that repo work is not for the weak . You guys earned your pay on every job . Only time I got in real trouble in repo was over an $80 pair of designer jeans I bought for my oldest daughter when my ex still had custody of her .
Found the ex wearing them in a public place and repoed them on the spot .
Oddest job I ever had was a contract job for OSHA . Put on a spandex suit and they placed monitors
all over my body . Then , I sat in a chair for 3 hours in a small room staring at a dot on a white wall
while they monitored the sensors .
Paid me $75 per hour and I hope the info they gained was worthwhile to them .
Jim

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
SEWING MACHINE" SALESMAN "
I APPLIED FOR A JOB REPAIRING SEWING MACHINES. THEY SAID THE JOB WAS FILLED BUT THEY HAD AN OPENING FOR A SALESMAN. I TOLD THEM I WAS NOT A SALESMAN. THEY SAID THEY WOULD SEND ME OUT WITH ANOTHER SALESMAN FOR A WEEK FOR TRAINING. I WENT WITH THE OTHER SALESMAN TO A POOR SECTION OF BALTO. FOR AN APPOINTMENT TO DEMO A MACHINE.ONCE INSIDE HE PULLED THIS CHEAP BUT FANCY LOOKING LITTLE SEWING MACHINE AND RAN THRU A DEMO. THE GUY WAS GOOD AND THE CUSTOMER WAS IMPRESSED WITH THE DEMO. He SAID THEY COULD HAVE THE MACHINE FOR AS I REMEMBER $50. THEY GOT THE $50 OUT,BUT THEN HE WHIPED OUT THIS ALA DELUX ATLAS 3 NEEDLE DO EVERYTHING MACHINE. HE RAN THRU A DEMO THAT INCLUDED SEWING WITH 3 COLORS AT ONCE. THE CUSTOMER WAS OVERWELMED. THEY SAID THEY DIDN'T HAVE THE $300 FOR THE MACHINE. HE SAID NO PROBLEM,THE COMPANY WOULD FINANCE IT AND THE $50 WOULD COVER THE DOWN PAYMENT. THEY SIGNED THE CONTRACT AND WE LEFT. OVER LUNCH, THE SALESMAN EXPLAINED THAT THEY NEVER SELL THE SMALL MACHINE. IT IS THE LEADER TO GET THE DOWN PAYMENT. THE $50 WAS HIS COMISSION HE SAID THEY WOULD MISS A PAYMENT AND THEY WOULD REPO THE MACHINE AND SELL IT AGAIN. AFTER A WEEK WITH THIS GUY, I TOLD THEM I COULDN'T HANDLE THE JOB AND QUIT. IT WAS A PURE BAIT AND SWITCH RIPOFF.[/color]

S

Smee

truckinbutch said:
Frankn and Smee ,
As both of you well know , that repo work is not for the weak . You guys earned your pay on every job . Only time I got in real trouble in repo was over an $80 pair of designer jeans I bought for my oldest daughter when my ex still had custody of her .
Oddest job I ever had was a contract job for OSHA . Put on a spandex suit and they placed monitors
all over my body . Then , I sat in a chair for 3 hours in a small room staring at a dot on a white wall
Jim

I can hear it now:

"Dr. Sally, I want a chance to go for double or nothing on our bet yesterday."

"Alright Dr. Steve, take your best shot."

"I'll bet that I can get one of those miners to dress up in spandex and stare at a spot on the wall for two hours."

"Tell you what Steve, make it three --- and I get to hook him up to a machine for snits and giggles --- and you're on."

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Smee said:
truckinbutch said:
Frankn and Smee ,
Jim

I can hear it now:

"Dr. Sally, I want a chance to go for double or nothing on our bet yesterday."

"Alright Dr. Steve, take your best shot."

"I'll bet that I can get one of those miners to dress up in spandex and stare at a spot on the wall for two hours."

"Tell you what Steve, make it three --- and I get to hook him up to a machine for snits and giggles --- and you're on."
LMAO !!!!!! Their/your money spent all the same at the local bar . :tongue3: :headbang:

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
It just dumped my whole post! Dam n I hate that!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread