70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Too many stories today in Florida. Last one:

Gator snatches puppy after it scampers out door of business near West Palm

By Chrystian Tejedor
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted May 17 2006

Michael Rochefort was working on the back door of his wood flooring business Tuesday afternoon when his dog, Malibu, ran outside toward a retention pond behind the shopping center.

"She shot right into the bushes. I heard a bark and the gator pulled her into the water and swam off," he said.

LocalLinks

When the skinny, 6-foot alligator snatched the 4-month-old Maltese-Yorkshire terrier mix, Rochefort jumped into his pickup truck and drove to the other side of the lake behind the strip mall at Okeechobee Boulevard and U.S. 441 near West Palm Beach.

Rochefort wanted Malibu back. The gator just swam back to the opposite shore, avoiding the confrontation.

The attack on Malibu comes a day after state wildlife officials said they will extend Florida's annual gator hunt from five to 11 weeks in an effort to curb the reptiles' numbers.

In the past week, alligators have been responsible for the deaths of three people in Florida, officials said. Until then, there had been 17 alligator-related fatalities since 1948.

On May 9, an alligator grabbed Yovy Suarez Jimenez, a 28-year-old Florida Atlantic University student who was jogging in Sunrise's Markham Park when she stopped to rest near a canal.

On Sunday, an alligator attacked a Tennessee woman who was snorkeling in Juniper Run in the Ocala National Forest in Marion County. That day, Pinellas County authorities also found the dismembered body of a Dunedin woman in a canal near Tampa Bay.

In April, Coral Springs' Stephen Martinez, 43, escaped serious injury when a 7-foot alligator bit him on the left hand while he was looking for golf balls in a lake at the Lakes of Boynton Beach golf course.

While there were no witnesses to the three most recent alligator attacks involving humans, at least four people saw the alligator snatch Malibu on Tuesday. They kept an eye on the gator as state wildlife officers and a trapper made their way to the north side of the pond about 5:45 p.m.

Using a recording of alligator hatchlings found on the Internet, trapper Greg Butcher swung an unbaited hook and reeled in the gator.

After that one was caught, Butcher and the officers spotted two more alligators in the lake. Butcher tried to catch the alligators, but they proved elusive even with the recording of the hatchlings blaring in the background.

"It lures the gator," Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission spokeswoman Dani Moschella said. "The one in the truck's going crazy."

Authorities will perform a necropsy on the alligator that was caught to see if it ate Malibu, but Butcher didn't think it had the time to eat.

"Three of four people said this was the one," said FWCC Officer Scott Prasse, who watched the alligator after witnesses pointed him out. "I would definitely say he's the one."

Rochefort and his wife, meanwhile, want the owners of the shopping center to put up a wall between the businesses and the pond.

"We were talking about it because I lay out here and get some sun," said Rochefort's wife, Yvette.

"I just thank God it wasn't one of my kids," Michael Rochefort said.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Florida is/was beautiful, a paradise of wildlife. This is just nature fighting back. too many people upsetting the natural balance. Do not fool with MOTHER NATURE! ;D ;)

fldiver

Mar 12, 2006
fleamistress said:
What gives with Florida? I was there again a few years ago and there were pics of 100 sharks off Daytona beach and no swimmable beach between Miami and No. of Daytona unless you wanted to wade through several yards of seaweed first. I mean it was yuk!

Cyn

People woud think twice about gettin in the water if they knew how many sharks were really there. I've never had problems with sharks but had a remora latch on me one time , I didn't think I'd ever get away from that thing. The sea weed blows in after a good storm.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got back in town.I heard they caught a 12 foot,700 pounder yesterday and they're gonna give it to "Gatorland" in Orlando,I believe.Caught in Dade county by what's his name from "Pesky Critters".

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Gator in the garden? Here is what experts say you should do

By Nicole T. Lesson
Posted May 19 2006, 10:40 AM EDT

Kim Deitke doesn't live on the water and a fence surrounds her back yard. So she wasn't prepared for the scaly surprise she found last Memorial Day when she went outside to do some gardening.

A 7-foot alligator was lying on the grass between her garden and swimming pool.

LocalLinks

"He took two steps toward me and I ran into the house," said Deitke, who lives in the Chapel Trail neighborhood in Pembroke Pines. "I watched him walk around the yard and the edge of the pool."

The gator was swimming in the pool when a trapper arrived to take him away.

"I never thought in a million years an alligator would be in my back yard," Deitke said.

South Florida residents have to co-exist with nature, especially as the suburbs spread farther west of Interstate 75. Experts say residents need to know what to do and, more importantly, what to avoid, if they see an alligator. With spring and summer approaching, and breeding season starting at the end of the month, alligators are going to be more active and likely to be sighted by residents.

"Just seeing an alligator does not make it dangerous," said Willie Puz, media relations director for the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission. "They have to come out of the water, as a cold-blooded reptile, to regulate their temperature by basking in the sun. That is what alligators do."

Problems start when people feed them. "They associate people with a handout," Puz said.

If you see an alligator more than 4 feet long that poses a threat to humans or property, call 1-866-392-4286, a statewide, toll-free number launched by the conservation commission last April. Dispatchers will answer questions or possibly send a licensed trapper to catch the gator.

Since coming online in April, the nuisance alligator hotline has received 17,148 calls. The agency removes more than 5,000 nuisance gators each year, most of which are killed and sold for meat and other parts.

Relocation of nuisance alligators is not an option because they are known to return to their capture sites, and reintroducing them into the wild disrupts the social structure of that gator population.

Blair Hayman, a biologist who works for the statewide nuisance alligator program, said dogs are especially at risk for alligator attacks.

"Most bodies of water have alligators or will have them; people should really expect them at some point," Hayman said. "If they do have pets, and you want your dog to be outside, a fence is a good idea."

She urges people to make sure the bottoms of their fences are buried because alligators can crawl underneath or push through, and they can see a family pet through a chain-link fence.

In March 2005, an alligator killed a dog that was running loose near a lake inside the Weston Hills community.

"Gators don't know dogs. They see a small- to medium-sized furry mammal that looks tasty and it brings their radar," said Todd Hardwick, a licensed trapper who owns the Miami-based Pesky Critters, a wildlife nuisance control company.

Small children are also at risk if they play near water, he said. A dog could entice an alligator.

"Dogs can draw a gator over, and if there is a small child it's extremely dangerous," he said. The alligator could confuse the child for the dog.

As of May 2006, more than 340 attacks on humans have been documented in Florida since 1948, resulting in 20 deaths

"If for whatever reason you are in an alligator attack, fight, pound on him, beat him and yell," Hardwick said. "They will let go most of the time."

State law protects alligators from being fed, hurt or taken from their habitat.

Alligators are no longer on the endangered species list, and are now federally classified as "threatened due to similarity of appearance," which provides protection but allows state-approved management and control programs.

Florida lists alligators as a Species of Special Concern and only individuals with proper licenses and permits can legally take alligators.

Trappers, like Hardwick, are especially busy in Weston, Coral Springs, Parkland and Kendall, cities that are close to the Everglades. Because of development, alligators are moving from the west to east, he added.

"You can't create more wetlands, so try to be more aware of surroundings. We are in alligator country," Hardwick said. "We catch alligators in landlocked lakes all the time."

For more information, call the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission at 850-488-4676 or visit www.MyFWC.com/alligator.

Nicole T. Lesson can be reached at [email protected] or 954-385-7920.

Attachments

• gatorinpool.jpg
    gatorinpool.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 592
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Another gator story.

Coral Springs man pries puppy from jaws of 7-foot alligator

By Marlene Naanes
Posted May 29 2006, 9:25 PM EDT

A man took his dog for a walk near his Coral Springs home and ended up prying a 7-foot alligator off of the pooch's head Monday.

Michael Rubin took Jasmine, a 6-month-old golden retriever, and his other dog, a border collie named Frisbee, on a run at a construction site near his home in Heron Bay. Rubin thought the area was far from the gators that prowl the nearby Everglades.

LocalLinks

During the 10 a.m. walk, Jasmine ran ahead of Rubin and to the edge of a pond on the site. Then he heard a yelp.

Rubin ran to help his dog and saw her head in the mouth of an alligator. He jumped in the muddy water, which reached his neck, he said, and began beating the beast with his fist.

When that didn't help, he grabbed onto his dog as the gator started to roll in the water.

"I thought she was dead," Rubin said after the ordeal. "But at that point I wasn't going to let him have my dog."

Rubin yanked at his dog, finally prying her from the gator's mouth. He then rushed her to The Coral Springs Animal Hospital, which confirmed Jasmine was treated for cuts and puncture wounds.

Jasmine was in good condition, but quite sleepy, and was sent home with pain medication, Rubin said. Frisbee was not injured in the attack.

Rubin figures the gator headed back to the Everglades.

"She was very lucky," he said of his dog, "and I was very lucky."

Marlene Naanes can be reached at [email protected] or 954-385-7922.

Glenns5900

Dec 14, 2005
Longmont, CO USA
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro (not SL) Old, but still good
Pi$$es me off when joggers run down the middle of the street since they make perfectly good sidewalks just for the pedestrians.

Who do you think would get the ticket first?
A. Jogger running down the middle of street.
B. Me driving my car down the sidewalk.

The gene pool has to be a bit shallow to run in the street with headphones on and your back to the traffic. I don't know how many times I've had a one run right out in front of me without looking while I was driving.

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
bigcypresshunter said:
On Sunday near Bradenton, a woman grabbed a handgun and fired four shots at a 3-foot alligator that attacked her golden retriever. The gator wasn't seriously hurt, but the woman got a warning citation for hunting without a license.

Did no one else read this and laugh out loud about it? They gave her a ticket for hunting without a license because she was trying to save her DOG from an ALIGATOR.... Too funny!

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
3 foot alligators are protected. Can only hunt larger gators with special lottery permit in selected areas. She could also have been sited for shooting within city limits. I wonder if they would have been more lenient with larger more dangerous gator?

Attachments

• petgator.JPG
    petgator.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 529

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
bigcypresshunter said:
3 foot alligators are protected. Can only hunt larger gators with special lottery permit in selected areas. She could also have been sited for shooting within city limits. I wonder if they would have been more lenient with larger more dangerous gator?

So the law in FL doesn't allow for the protection of ones person and property? Heck, sounds like you guys should have a gun ban, no sense in having guns down there if you can't use it for protection.

I don't carry a gun with me normally, but I can promise you this; if even a 1 foot gator started messing with me, I'd smash its head in with the closest large stick or brick I can grab, and I would most positively shoot it if I had a gun on me.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I understand what you are saying. I don't know the laws. In the 60's or 70's the alligator was put on the Endangered Species list because of their tasty tail. The Everglades would cease to exist without the Alligator. They have made a tremendous comeback and we even have short hunting season for them. I think they should be taken off the Protected list. I could be in big trouble just for holding one in that picture.. He is now in the Seminole Indian zoo.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
fleamistress said:
Isn't it easier for a gator to eat another gator than wandering around looking for people and dogs? Or is it professional courtesy?

Cyn
I don't know. They also eat fish. I don't think they wander around hunting. They more or less sit and wait. They appear lazy but the tactic works. That is what makes them so dangerous. Here is another of never ending stories:

Fish and Wildlife investigates alligator attack on dog

Bradenton Herald
May 28, 2006 A 10-foot alligator attacked a dog in a retirement community today, according to a representative with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

The commission's Statewide Nuisance Alligator Program received a report to its hotline - (866) FWC-GATOR.

A spokeswoman for the program said a trapper was sent out to look for the alligator and the dog was taken to a veterinarian for treatment.

She declined to provide additional information about the incident.

Representatives with Manatee County Animal Services could not be reached.

If you have information about this incident, please call The Herald at (941) 745-7040.

Copyright © 2006 Bradenton Herald, All Rights Reserved.

Hosted by: Topix.net Publisher Platform (beta)

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fleamistress said:
Isn't it easier for a gator to eat another gator than wandering around looking for people and dogs? Or is it professional courtesy?

Heard a story one the radio the other day: The cat next door uses this guy's pick-up truck for a litter box. He gets so pissed he drives the thing into the everglades and dumps it. Cat makes it back home two weeks later! The owner, a little girl, was satisfied with the man's sentence of community service!

Cyn
Yeah,that guy was a firefighter/emt,he stole the little girls cat.He should of made sure the gators done thier job before he left the cat out there.Wouldn't have to worry about community service then.Much less the public embarrassment he had to endure down here on tv a few weeks back.Too funny.BTW- they caught an 11 foot crocodile in cutler bay area yesterday.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Giant saltwater croc captured in yard in Dade's Cutler Bay

News partner NBC 6
Posted June 1 2006, 12:20 PM EDT

MIAMI -- A huge crocodile is heading back into the wild after being captured in a family's yard in Cutler Bay, news partner NBC 6 reported.

It took six men from Pesky Critters to catch the 11-foot, 500-pound saltwater croc.

LocalLinks

The crocodile will be released, not killed, because saltwater crocodiles are considered nearly extinct.

Trapper Todd Hardwick called the sighting positive.

"There are more and more crocodiles turning up now because the animals are making a recovery, which is a great thing. Unfortunately, the citizens aren't so crazy about seeing an 11-foot crocodile in the neighborhood," he said.

The family who lives at the home was shaken up, but no one was injured.

Attachments

• croc.jpg
    croc.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 306
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
fleamistress said:
Big--Pic is a tad small. Is that guy playing peek-a-boo with that monster?

Cyn
Don't know. Thats Todd Hardwick from "Pesky Critters", a very popular fellow these days, always on TV, Discovery Channel,...etc.
The pic is from Channel 6 News.
Florida salt water Crocs are actually quite shy, not like their African or Australian cousins. The American Crocodile lives only in South Florida and in the Caribbean, I think. Still on the endangered list. They will not kill this guy. They will relocate and it will probably come back to the same spot next year to be relocated again.

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
My friends I guess I am a HARD ASS cause I could care less about what happens to Gators. When I go to the St. Johns River I carry my pistol and a 12 gauge shotgun with 6 shells. Every other shell is "0" and double "00". This will blow the gator into hambuger. I have shot gators with a 30-30 and the lived a long time. I have also shot a gator with a 22 long rifle but you have to hit them right in the eye to stop them in their tracks.
I was arrested one time for killing a 9 foot gator but it seems that it was trying to get to my kids who were fishing. They came home and told me that there was a big gator coming toward them everytime they tried to fish. I paid my fine and told the Judge that I would KILL anything that threatened my children so he could expect me to be back.
AND I DAMN SURE MENT IT AND STILL DO.
By the way a gator is NOT the most dangerous creature in Florida. It is the WILD HOG. A wild hog will set you up and take you down.
Peg Leg
PS; This will piss of a lot of Gator lovers but so what?

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
This past week end I planned to make a little trip to the MUD BOG. My assoicate cqalled me and said he was coming by to pick me up.
Well he showed up alright and he had the boat. It was a RUBBER KODIAK BOAT. Have you any idea what a Gator can do to a rubber boat? Not what he can do but what he WILL do. I was under the impression that this guy knew his stuff-He is a Treasure Diver with experence in the OCEAN but does not know squat about "T" hunting in Gator country. He also said that he was not afraid of Gators. I have never shown ANYONE where the gold bars are located so I am thinking about dropping this guy. This is Not a venture for people that do not THINK and use common sense. This is not a game and it damn sure is not a trip to Sea World. This is a very very dangerous project and not to be taken lightly. I am talking not only about Gators but PEOPLE in general. When the subject of GOLD comes up watch the expression on peoples faces change.
GOLD FEVER IS A REAL THING.
Peg Leg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread