Strange phone calls

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has happened twice in the last month and it's nothing I've encountered before. Tried Googling for info but found nothing.

Bascially it's this: My phone rings (land line, no caller ID), I answer and hear a man's faint voice, with others in the background. He says "Testing, one, two, three..." and that's it.

The first time I shrugged it off. The second time, just yesterday, I repeated "Hello" and listened but the call ended abruptly.

Obviously not a robocaller, since I hear a live guy's voice. And he doesn't try to sell or ask me anything. So what? Any ideas?

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aleins trying to contact you.....Sorry......Matt

F

Felinepeachy

Phone tester guy?
phil_01.gif

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I would love to know is how do you google crazy person on the other side of the phone :dontknow:

Now there are a few ways to look at this situation.
1- The person may just be making crank phone calls and is warming up.

Is your phone number listed? If so
2- You may have someone casing your house to rob if no one is home... Using a simple ploy like saying testing is a good way to keep you off balance.

Last but not least..
3- You're no fun to call anyway, so I'll stop immediately... :laughing7: Merry Christmas

OP
OP
I

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
anybody in your family pass away recently?

No thankfully, unless you count my 16 year old kitty who I put to sleep last month. :'(

What I would love to know is how do you google crazy person on the other side of the phone

I've done this with random calls I get on my cell. I Google the actual number and find all sorts of message boards with people who've gotten calls from the number in question. In this case I searched combinations of "testing one two three", "phone", "unknown" etc. I usually get some results but in this case, nada.

1- The person may just be making crank phone calls and is warming up.

The guy (pretty sure it's the same guy too) sounds too official for it to be a prank. Like he's calling on behalf of some business or entity. You know how when you get a phone sales call you can hear about 50 other people in the background. This is similar but with fewer background voices.

Is your phone number listed?

Nope, hasn't been in almost 20 years.

Quite a mystery huh?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Immy said:
I've done this with random calls I get on my cell. I Google the actual number and find all sorts of message boards with people who've gotten calls from the number in question. In this case I searched combinations of "testing one two three", "phone", "unknown" etc. I usually get some results but in this case, nada.

Not the same thing as you received

But I was getting Phone calls from a so called Credit
Card Company who said my card war Compromised.

I Don't own Credit cards. & Always hung up.

Finally I Searched the number & It came up to a Home
address in Bloomsburg PA.

I Immediately called it back, the woman who answred Swore
up & Down it wasn't her. I Told her the Number it came from,
who she was, who her Husband was. her address
& That she lived in a Trailer.

She still denied it. So I Hung up Googled the phone Number
& I got a site where I Could leave info on the phone number
so I Told my story there.

A month later another Bloomsburg Number,
Did the same thing Hung up Immediately
called back. an old lady answered & Denied being on the phone.
Heard another woman in the backround Denying
she touched the phone also.

Again I told them who they were,
where they lived Etc.
They wanted to know who I was so I Said no & Hung up.

So far no more calls.

But wonder if there is a way for Thieves
To call from one place with a fake number from another.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:

Jeff - Look up telephone number spoofing or caller id spoofing. It can be done to make it look as though the call is coming from any number one wishes. It is a useful tool for investigative work and collections and is not illegal unless your intentions are fraudulent. However, it can also be used to commit acts of fraud quite easily.

S

Smee

DigginThe ChristmasPast said:
jeff of pa said:

Jeff - Look up telephone number spoofing or caller id spoofing. It can be done to make it look as though the call is coming from any number one wishes. It is a useful tool for investigative work and collections and is not illegal unless your intentions are fraudulent. However, it can also be used to commit acts of fraud quite easily.

Shoot! You're gonna spoil their fun.

One correction though, it is illegal if you are a bill collector. I know, because I are one and used to have the responsibility of teaching Fair Debt Collection Practices act to my subordinates. Basically, as a collector, you must in no way deceive the customer . . . otherwise, the spoofing calls would be rampant.

If a collector does do something like that, ask for a number to call them back because you are indisposed, if you have a wireless or cell go into the bathroom and flush (or if you really want to have fun, use your imagination before flushing. "I don't remember eating corn!" is a classic.).

Your next call should be to an attorney as you may be able to have the debt wiped out, and may even be able to collect a judgment against the collector. Now, THAT is fun. Too darned many "cowboys" in this business should be jailed because of their irresponsible and illegal behavior.

OP
OP
I

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have you tried calling your phone company and see if there is an outage in your area that might be someone is working on?

Excellent suggestion, thanks TT! Next time it happens that'll be my course of action. Heck I'll just look outside to see if there's a Centurylink truck.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smee said:
jeff of pa said:

Shoot! You're gonna spoil their fun.

One correction though, it is illegal if you are a bill collector. I know, because I are one and used to have the responsibility of teaching Fair Debt Collection Practices act to my subordinates. Basically, as a collector, you must in no way deceive the customer . . . otherwise, the spoofing calls would be rampant.

If a collector does do something like that, ask for a number to call them back because you are indisposed, if you have a wireless or cell go into the bathroom and flush (or if you really want to have fun, use your imagination before flushing. "I don't remember eating corn!" is a classic.).

Your next call should be to an attorney as you may be able to have the debt wiped out, and may even be able to collect a judgment against the collector. Now, THAT is fun. Too darned many "cowboys" in this business should be jailed because of their irresponsible and illegal behavior.

Smee - Thanks for the clarifying my statement, typed a little too quickly. :D As I understand it, you are correct so far as an individual and their debt goes. However, in the case of a commercial debt, then the same collection practices do not have to be adhered to. Is my understanding correct?

Immy - Just to clarify if you have any question. I don't believe this is what is happening in your situation, nor am I suggesting that you are receiving collection calls, personal or commercial. :)

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easy, :sign13:

Answer the phone "Federal Bureau of Investigation [fill in the blank] field office, Agent [fill in the blank] may I help you" Then sit back and have fun immagining the looks on their faces. If it pops up on your caller ID call it back & tell them you're FBI agent **** do you have an emergency? ;D

Don't get mad! Ya gotta have fun with it!

If all else fails use their number to sign em up for every sales or scam ad you can find. If you can cross it to an address & ir's a guy sign him up for every womans magazine subscription you can find. enter his name in all the free sample sites, especially for the feminine hygene products. Use your imagination! Most of all Have fun with it! :icon_thumleft: :D

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a friend that talked to me one day and later on the phone rings and I could here him talking and other people talking. I would holler into the phone and he did not hear me. It went on for over 5 minutes and I hung up. I called him later and told him what he was talking about and he hadn't tried to call me. We think he laid his cell phone down and hit the redial button some how. Maybe this happened to you.

S

Smee

Smee - Thanks for the clarifying my statement, typed a little too quickly. :D As I understand it, you are correct so far as an individual and their debt goes. However, in the case of a commercial debt, then the same collection practices do not have to be adhered to. Is my understanding correct?

When in doubt, go to the source: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre27.pdf

The law was written because of abuses in the collection industry. While a corporation may not have the same rights as an individual, the law forbids the use of deception in collection. It forbids abuses such as excessive contact with the debtor, discussion of the debtor's status and debt with any third party. You can't place anything on a piece of mail that proclaims it to be a collection letter, or lets others know the person is behind on payments. It's a great read. The perfect cure for insomnia.

boogeyman said:
Easy, :sign13:

Answer the phone "Federal Bureau of Investigation [fill in the blank] field office, Agent [fill in the blank] may I help you" Then sit back and have fun immagining the looks on their faces. If it pops up on your caller ID call it back & tell them you're FBI agent **** do you have an emergency? ;D

Don't get mad! Ya gotta have fun with it!

If all else fails use their number to sign em up for every sales or scam ad you can find. If you can cross it to an address & ir's a guy sign him up for every womans magazine subscription you can find. enter his name in all the free sample sites, especially for the feminine hygene products. Use your imagination! Most of all Have fun with it! :icon_thumleft: :D

I knew a girl that always answered her phone: "City Morgue. You stab 'em, we slab 'em!"

But, as a revenge method, I prefer signing the male "mark" up (I've done it before, after all, revenge is a dish best served cold) for Gay Lingerie catalogs, and having them mailed to his job . . . unless he IS gay, then I will sign him up for the local lonely hearts club (yes, there are still such things) as seeking a woman, then have the responses mailed to his boyfriend.

You folks really need to get a copy of The Avengers Handbook, it's still floating around on the web.

So, here's some fun reading for um uh educational purposes? yeah, educational purposes: http://www.ekran.no/html/revenge/

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rodgerdodger said:
I had a friend that talked to me one day and later on the phone rings and I could here him talking and other people talking. I would holler into the phone and he did not hear me. It went on for over 5 minutes and I hung up. I called him later and told him what he was talking about and he hadn't tried to call me. We think he laid his cell phone down and hit the redial button some how. Maybe this happened to you.

You should've played psychic. Tell him a few facts from his call etc. etc. Seriously if it was a landline, sometimes the switches will hang. One example was a friend in Denver that would make calls and sometimes his phone would work correctly other times he'd dial one number & get another. They checked everything (so they said) and sent a repairman out. He climbed several poles and came back later & told him he found some old equipment on a pole down the alley that they didn't know was still there. He also told him it would only mess up when it snowed or rained shorting the equipment in the box. Long story the box went away and the phantom problems went away.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
texastee2007 said:
I knew a girl that always answered her phone: "City Morgue. You stab 'em, we slab 'em!"

My brother did this when we were kids....in his best Mafia voice.."City Morgue, You kill 'em, we chill 'em."
The whole thing is... Bills morgue you stab em, we slab em, ours don't go to heven they go to hello

Or Lotta poo poo plumbing (oriental accent) Who flung do speaking may I help you?

K

Kentucky Kache

rodgerdodger said:

This happened to me once. My son's cell phone rings, and when I answer, all I hear his a strange groaning. Scared me to death. Come to find out, he had put his phone in his pocket and hadn't locked the key pad. He rolled over in his sleep and it called me. I heard him making noises in his sleep.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kentucky Kache said:
rodgerdodger said:

This happened to me once. My son's cell phone rings, and when I answer, all I hear his a strange groaning. Scared me to death. Come to find out, he had put his phone in his pocket and hadn't locked the key pad. He rolled over in his sleep and it called me. I heard him making noises in his sleep.

Thank GOD! he was only.......... Naw, won't say it...... :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: Mind slipped off the curb :D

txconservative

Jul 26, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350 / Cobra Beach Magnet / Garrett Treasure Ace 300
VERY strange ! I love messing with callers like that......

Hope they stop callin'

K

Kentucky Kache

boogeyman said:
Kentucky Kache said:
rodgerdodger said:

Thank GOD! he was only.......... Naw, won't say it...... :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: Mind slipped off the curb :D

:-X :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread