Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Florida Restaurant's no-coin policy , Robbery

Marie Rotunda owned three restaurants in New Jersey before retiring and moving to North Naples.

That's one reason she was so taken aback by what happened at The Grape at Coconut Point in Estero, where she and her husband Ronald had stopped for lunch.

The couple paid the $23.32 check with two $20 bills. When the waitress returned she brought back $16 as change.

The receipt showed $16.68 due, so Marie Rotunda asked the waitress where the rest of the change was. She was told the restaurant doesn't use or give back coins.

http://www.news-press.com/article/2...74/Restaurant-s-no-coin-policy-makes-no-cents

K

Kentucky Kache

Re: Florida Restaurant's no-coin policy , Robbery

That's a little like forced tips, isn't it? I would have requested $17 back.

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC

Yep, if it's going to be rounded off, it should work up and down. Tidy little profit margin built right in huh.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I say, if you're going to do something in a statement, make a better profit. I would have asked for my 2 $20 back. Sent the wife next door with a $20 and come back with 4 $5.00 bills. Now pay them $15.00 and tell tell I understand that you don't deal in change. Well, I can accept that, but understand, I don't deal in singles either. :laughing7:

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

spartacus53 said:
I say, if you're going to do something in a statement, make a better profit. I would have asked for my 2 $20 back. Sent the wife next door with a $20 and come back with 4 $5.00 bills. Now pay them $15.00 and tell tell I understand that you don't deal in change. Well, I can accept that, but understand, I don't deal in singles either. :laughing7:

I'd make sure I Have the Exact Change,
in Dollar coins, Quarters, dimes, Nickels & Pennies.

No Paper money, No Credit Card with.

If they refuse the "Change"
I Guess it's free :dontknow:

Or I'd take a dollar back out of the Tip.
Maybe $2.00 for accounting costs.
after all I'd need to Recount what's in my wallet after
putting some back in.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

I would have told them to round it off to the lowest dollar and only paid $23.00 but like what sparticus said lol

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here's a tip for Mexican Restaurants. 'Cambio' is 'change'. If your waiter rattles off 'Quieres Cambio?' when you pay your bill and you say no, thinking you're refusing dessert or something, he's gone with the money. In many restaurants up here, if it is very busy, sometimes they will take your money and not come back, thinking you'll just finally leave. That has happened to me here in this resort area. I went back to the kitchen where they were hiding and got my change.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

maybe all our Fla. coin roll hunters need to stop there
for lunch and a Meeting sometime :laughing7:

S

Smee

jeff of pa said:
maybe all our Fla. coin roll hunters need to stop there
for lunch and a Meeting sometime :laughing7:

Might cause more problems than expected:

During the last spike in gas prices (instead of re-rolling my coins) I took to "recirculating" my half dollars at the local Murphy Oil (Wal Mart partner). After three weeks, they raised such a fuss at all the local banks that now only businesses here are allowed to purchase coins from the bank's re-rolled coins.

I was getting 10-20 silvers (mostly 40%'s) a month on $40/week. After the manager came in and raised a fuss, I have been unable to purchase from any of the local banks from their "on hand" rolls. The bank never minded me re-rolling the coins but the manager of the gas station was pissed because after a few folks saw me pay in kennedys, they later came in and paid in quarters . . . loose quarters. He said it took too much time for his people to roll the coins. The banks (three local banks) all stopped selling coins to anyone other than a known business after that.

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes

Thats when you stick your finger down your throat and give the food back, keep your money and find another place to eat. :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread