Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made this one back in the early 80's :tongue3: ,. After several tries, I found that a red-hot Awl , pushed into the corners +........ worked good . Then just do the rest with an Exacto blade .
Good place to stash stuff :wink:. Thick old books are a dime a dozen .

anyone else make em

Attachments

• gc 025.jpg
    gc 025.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 361
  • gc 026.jpg
    gc 026.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 449
  • gc 033.jpg
    gc 033.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 527
  • gc 031.jpg
    gc 031.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 349

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had anything of value, I'd make one like that too :tongue3: Nice job there :icon_thumleft:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
No, because everyone knows that trick! lol.

Better to leave the first couple of chapters intact and then cut out. :wink:

I think the best ones are those fake wall sockets for electric plugs. :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dano Sverige said:
Better to leave the first couple of chapters intact and then cut out. :wink:

That was my first thought!

Nice watches! I like watches, but those are not my style... however I would gladly take them to the Pawn Stars boys. ;D But they were obviously kicka$$ in the 80s! (and probably FAR less to buy than what they're worth now)

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a better idea. A friend of mine just bought a brand new house. It DOESN'T have a real fireplace. What it does have is a "mood fireplace". When she told me about it I thought WTH! I asked her why, and she said that most builders are actually putting "mood fireplaces" instead of real ones because most people don't use their fireplaces.

I looked at the house when it was 90% complete and of course, the brick around it, (as if it was a real fireplace), the thing is huge like 54 inches wide. I told her that would be a good place to build a safe and keep valuables, (removing the mood fireplace, (only 4 screws), it is big enough to get in there, stand up and looking into it and the area is like a small room built within the wall behind the fireplace hearth, (32 inches wide X 9 feet tall and on both sides a little over 2 feet deep).

I told her that it would be good to make a metal frame for the "mood fireplace" hinge it with a secret release button of some sort, (hidden), so it could swing it open to gain access inside. Then frame out the inside of the wall behind the fireplace hearth, then you could store anything, (especially guns, ammo, or other valuables), and no one would even know the secret place is there, even if a burglar ripped the place apart or feds for that fact.

So she is going to get me to do it for her. It will be some time this summer, as she is going to have to save up enough money to get the job done. I know when I do it I am going to take pictures of my progress!

Oh the mood fireplace is electric this is kind of like the one she has, and of course as I said, she has a BIG brick hearth around it going up to the ceiling.

http://www.soothingfireplaces.com/e...laces/napoleon-ef39hd-electric-fireplace.html

papajos

Feb 11, 2009
mojjax said:
I made this one back in the early 80's :tongue3: ,. After several tries, I found that a red-hot Awl , pushed into the corners +........ worked good . Then just do the rest with an Exacto blade .
Good place to stash stuff :wink:. Thick old books are a dime a dozen .

anyone else make em

We did this as kids in school. We kept our squirt guns in them, took them out squirted our buddies then before the teacher turned around put them back into the book! Or, if we were real brave we even squirted the teacher!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We used to use the little saw blades in a Dremel tool to cut out the center. After hollowing the book, we'd coat the inside of the hole with a couple coats of White glue. Worked great!

Easier to stash your cache in the crawl space. 1. easy access 2. burglars very very seldom look above their heads. Small wood box or a shoebox hides nicely.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where'd you get the watches......................? :icon_scratch:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep but don't remember what book
it's on the shelf somewhere

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bum Luck said:
Where'd you get the watches......................? :icon_scratch:

In the 70s or 80s a gold Rolex probably didn't set you back anything close to what it does now. Even with inflation taken into account I believe watches are much more expensive now.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never done it, but i'm always checking out the insides of books for any and everything at garage sales and thrift stores and such.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread