Hand Written Letter From 1863

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I guess this belongs in "everything else". This isn't a very nice part of our history but it is history, my Mother found this among some of her grandma's papers. I can't find any information about R.M Taylor or John W. Widderfield (I think those are the correct spellings). If anyone has any information linking these two men I would like to hear it. Also if anyone has any tips for preserving this letter please feel free to share them with me.

Charlie

Attachments

• taylor.jpg
    taylor.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 264
OP
OP
savant365

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Thanks T,

I have no Idea why my grandma would have had this in her stuff. I haven't been able to find either one of these names in any of the geneology research I've looked at. My Mom's side of the family came from Wales and immigrated to America in the late 18th century but I can't really find anywhere they settled on the East coast. Everything points to Kentucky and Tennesee before coming to Missouri. I thought it was kind of strange that Widderfield signed the agreement but the slave girls name was never entered in the blank area. I don't know if that means that they never completed the deal or if it was left blank on purpose. I am going to keep digging around though, all the liitle forgotten pieces of history that I come across are really interesting.

Charlie

OP
OP
savant365

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I know what you mean about the spellings, there are several variations on both my Father and Mothers sides. I don't have any memberships to any of the geneology sites either but some of my family does. My brother tracked down our family bible from way back, I haven't seen it yet but he is going to get scans of it and pass them along. As for being related, well if you go back far enough I think we have all crossed paths somewhere. There are so many names in my family tree (with different spellings) it's almost impossible to sort them all out.

Charlie

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Savant, you may be having a problem because I think the name is J.W. Midderfield !!!!

Huerfano County CO Archives History - Taxlists .....1873 Tax List

The bill for my service is in the mail :icon_thumleft:

I wish I was better able to read that letter, especially since it mentioned the ownership of a slave if I am not mistaken. The large print was too large to scroll and I couldn't make out the small print. Nice little piece of history there!!!

OP
OP
savant365

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
spartacus53 said:
Savant, you may be having a problem because I think the name is J.W. Midderfield !!!!

Huerfano County CO Archives History - Taxlists .....1873 Tax List

The bill for my service is in the mail :icon_thumleft:

I wish I was better able to read that letter, especially since it mentioned the ownership of a slave if I am not mistaken. The large print was too large to scroll and I couldn't make out the small print. Nice little piece of history there!!!

I will try to type it out as best as I can, there are a few words I cannot make out:

These presents ??????? that it is hereby
agreed between R.M.Taylor and John W. Widderfield
as follows. The said Taylor agrees for and in
consideration of five dollars per month to him
the said Widderfield a certain negro girl slave
named _________ from the present time until
the first day of October next. Said Widderfield
agreeing ?? his ???? to pay said Taylor at the
??? of five dollars per month for the services of
said slave for such time as she shall so
render service to him and to furnish
said slave with -- all necessary clothing
suitable to the seasons--
??????? my hand this 7th day
of March AD 1863
J.W. Widderfield

If you look at the name "Widderfield" at the end of the 2nd and 7th line in the original letter it looks like it starts with a "W" but his signature at the bottom is harder to tell.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may well be right on the Widderfield, but J.W. Midderfiled was listed in the CO taxes of 1873. I would still try that angle and see if it sheds any light.

P.S. Thanks for typing that letter out :thumbsup: Interesting times for sure

OP
OP
savant365

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
spartacus53 said:
You may well be right on the Widderfield, but J.W. Midderfiled was listed in the CO taxes of 1873. I would still try that angle and see if it sheds any light.

P.S. Thanks for typing that letter out :thumbsup: Interesting times for sure

Could you post the link where you found that info? Thanks,

Charlie

OP
OP
savant365

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I found an obituary for John W. Widderfield who died in Trinidad CO. and lived in Palmyra MO. before moving there. Palmyra is on the other side of the state from where I am but who knows where some of my relatives were from 150 years ago. He was a deputy grand master in the freemasons but the obit says it doesn't know anything about him while in Missouri. At least it gives me somewhere to start looking for R.M. Taylor.

Obituary:

http://books.google.com/books?id=B_...page&q=john w. widderfield palmyra mo&f=false

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if J W Widderfield and Midderfield were one in the same people, just a reading error in the signature? :icon_scratch: Especially since both were in CO

OP
OP
savant365

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
spartacus53 said:
I wonder if J W Widderfield and Midderfield were one in the same people, just a reading error in the signature? :icon_scratch: Especially since both were in CO

I think that happened a lot back then both accidentally and on purpose. More so people changing their names for whatever reasons.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Witness" my hand....

Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread