We Treasure Hunters Need Our Own Phantom/Legend

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think our hobby needs a legend, you know, our own Phantom, that all-successful treasure hunter nobody has ever seen or met but everyone has heard tell of. Now our phantom would have to have all the greatest tools & technologies, for instance, instead of a sand scoop he has what he calls a sand snake, pretty much the same type of technology that gets used on you during a colonoscopy, only this one is mounted on our hero’s waist and as soon as a worthy target is located it automatically uncoils and slithers deep into the sand or dirt to retrieve the item. I seriously think we need this phantom and in a few moments I’ll tell you why.

Our phantom also has to be obscure with an uncanny ability to blend in. Sure, he looks just like your typical beach-goer, only his neoprene sandals are actually high tech deep seeking search coils that spiral out into one huge hovering search coil whenever he taps his heals together. To the observer he just appears to be aimlessly wading about in the surf, but in reality our phantom is actually raking it in hand over fist. See that kid on the skateboard skirting the edges of the playground, well, maybe it is and maybe it isn’t? I mean, our phantom knows all the disguises and he has all the high tech tools.

Now our hobby needs this phantom badly because a lot of us are growing tired of those days when we’ve spent hours hunting in places that looked so darn good but yielded so little. If we had this phantom we would no longer have to wonder about who in the world hunted the place out and what type of machines they might be using, we could simply blame it on our hobby’s phantom and be done with it. Sure would make the frustration easier to take and it would be perfectly acceptable to blame it all on the greatest treasure hunter everyone knows but none have ever actually seen or met. The only problem with all of this is that all the cool names have apparently been taken already so if you can think of a good one list it here and maybe we’ll take a vote on it in a couple of weeks. "Let our Phantom LIVE!" :thumbsup: :notworthy:

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I read a series of detective-like MD stories with a main, kind of Raiders-like character (it was on the web). I don't remember where, but that's the closest I've seen to what you're talking about.

How about: "Dirty McDugItAlready"

C

Cappy Z.

...after hours back breaking digging...I reached the pay-dirt level...the hole now six feet deep...bones and glass shards strewn about...the sun already set a long hour ago...the fading batteries of trusty flashlight flickering like a weak candle on the strata of multi-colored earth...and then as I reached deep into that dark corner I finally had my prize in clenched mightily in my hand...I tumbled backward and sat on a pile of dredge..a small rusty tin resisted my nervous attempts to pry its jaws open...but then that sweeet sound of snapping metal and the lid popped....a small oily note inside revealed the end result of 12 hours of grueling digging...."Marc Austin...Master Treasure Hunter...has beat you to the prize once again." Someday, I thought, I'm going to get my hands on that guy....

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tee....he certainly has the eyes for it, but our phantom has to have no identity, like a ghost phantom.

Cappy,....Marc would certainly do, but again it puts an identity on our phantom and I'm sure Marc wants to maintain his extremely low profile.

"McDugit"........ :laughing7:.......makes me think of golden arches.

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
What about this "ole" boy!!!!

Attachments

• pub_showfront.gif
    pub_showfront.gif
    17.6 KB · Views: 143

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cappy Z. said:
...after hours back breaking digging...I reached the pay-dirt level...the hole now six feet deep...bones and glass shards strewn about...the sun already set a long hour ago...the fading batteries of trusty flashlight flickering like a weak candle on the strata of multi-colored earth...and then as I reached deep into that dark corner I finally had my prize in clenched mightily in my hand...I tumbled backward and sat on a pile of dredge..a small rusty tin resisted my nervous attempts to pry its jaws open...but then that sweeet sound of snapping metal and the lid popped....a small oily note inside revealed the end result of 12 hours of grueling digging...."Marc Austin...Master Treasure Hunter...has beat you to the prize once again." Someday, I thought, I'm going to get my hands on that guy....

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: 4 thumbs up here

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
Well, not many people have heard of the legendary Leprechaun-ish "Treasure Fairy", who magically buries items right under your coil, where you'll easily find them. However, being somewhat impish and mischievious, the Treasure Fairy will often place pull tabs or other things there, instead of the really good stuff. But, you shouldn't get upset when you find such seemingly "worthless" things. Instead, smile or give a good laugh at what you have found, because it makes the Treasure Fairy happy that you appreciated it's gift (and will encourage it to put more, sometimes even better, stuff under your coil.) Make the Treasure Fairy mad on the other hand, or be in a really bad mood, and it will whisk away the goodies, and you'll find nothing at all.
It's all just a "legend", of course.... :wink:

dld

Apr 21, 2010
NE Fla
Detector(s) used
ace 250, BHID, Explorer SE Pro, Omega 8000
bigscoop said:
I think our hobby needs a legend, you know, our own Phantom, that all-successful treasure hunter nobody has ever seen or met but everyone has heard tell of.

we already have one, it the detectorest that has got all the good things out of the ground and left pull tabs , pop tops, trash and one or two good things to make us keep going out day after day just in case

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dld said:
bigscoop said:
I think our hobby needs a legend, you know, our own Phantom, that all-successful treasure hunter nobody has ever seen or met but everyone has heard tell of.

we already have one, it the detectorest that has got all the good things out of the ground and left pull tabs , pop tops, trash and one or two good things to make us keep going out day after day just in case

And we call him.....? Every phantom has to have a universal name tag, like "Zoro" or "Mothman", etc. Our phantom has no name. A good phantom has got to have a most excellent name. :laughing7: :dontknow:

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess you might have to create some archetypical myths and associated fables and traditions attributable to this entity. A name may come out of it.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Beep Goes On said:
I guess you might have to create some archetypical myths and associated fables and traditions attributable to this entity. A name may come out of it.

Great point! All I know is that I've heard he's been around for quite a while, residences unknown but thought to reside in many different locations under many assumed names and identities? What have you heard?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread