New Zealand Earthquake Christchurch Devistated

rubytuesday

Mar 21, 2009
Know there are some members of treasurenet in NZ, are you guys ok? Have been watching live the news reports and there are multiple fatalities and hundreds still trapped in buildings. City of Christchurch has ran out of ambulances and its main hospital has been evacuated due to damage.
Certain suburbs of Christchurch have been totaly devistated.
Prayers and thoughts go out to you all.

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah just saw this and it is really bad by what I saw on the video that was sent to me by a friend that lives there. She said that there are many dead in town but they do not know how many, I am trying to get hold of her by phone and will post if I get anymore news.

I really feel for them , this is twice in the last 4 or so months.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Our prayers are going out to every one in New Zealand Especially our tenet Friends!!!

Kiwijohn

Dec 10, 2008
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Excalibur 1000 Garrett Pro Pointer
Oh...it's bad alright.
News is still breaking here. It is late afternoon. Quake happened at about 1pm.
I am quite a distance south of Christchurch, and only got bumped around a bit.

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got off the phone with my friend , she said it is a disaster in town, most phones are out and there are buildings down and still falling down all over the city.
Cars and Buses and people where crushed in the streets as the fronts of buildings fell into the street.
Mothers and fathers are trying to find there kids that were at school , but the good news is that most of the schools were in the outlying areas and did not collapse.
She said that the police were arresting anyone that got in the way and was not helping.

All I can say is that she is beside her self and scared half to death , she is scared of the aftershocks that may come and that sort of thing.
As of now she is trying to get more video of this on her phone and is going to send it to me as soon as she can.
I can say that getting through on the phone is next to impossible as I guess everyone is trying to use the Cell system at the same time.
Wow and their is nothing I can do but set here as they are so far away.

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kiwijohn am I glad you are ok, thanks for posting , I have been on the phone with a friend in Christchurch and she said it is beyond what you can imagine what is going on and what it looks like.
I hope all of you are ok .

Kiwijohn

Dec 10, 2008
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Early evening here now.
The news is very grave.
65 dead... 200 trapped... expect to see these figures rise...

Southwesterner

Greenie
Feb 10, 2011
Texas - Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTRAQ, Whites Coinmaster Pro 6000Di
So sorry to hear about the sad news. Thoughts and prayers go out to all in New Zealand and their close ones.

Hope that they can pull through this devastation as quickly as humanly possible.

Kiwijohn

Dec 10, 2008
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Cathedral...People trapped in here. There was an observation deck just below the spire.
always packed with tourists when I have been there.

Live stream herehttp://www.3news.co.nz/Video/3NewsLiveStream/ChristchurchEarthquake/tabid/876/Default.aspx

Earlier videos are available on this page also.

Attachments

• Cathederal.jpg
    Cathederal.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 191
OP
OP
R

rubytuesday

Mar 21, 2009
Kiwijohn, relieved to hear your ok. We're watching the disaster continue to unfold over
here in Oz. The news just keeps getting worse regarding casualties.
Stay safe.

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just happen to be touring our incredible South Island at the moment. My wife and I spent the last two days in a Bay about 10 minutes away from the epicentre of today's quake/s. We were wandering around Lyttleton Town and drove through today's worst affected areas in Christchurch City less than 2 hours before the first quake hit. We were driving about 30 kms North of Christchurch and I commented to my wife, I think we are in an earthquake - the road seemed to be rolling. And within a short while, the radio news verified the tragedy.
I was born In Christchurch; although it isn't my home town and I think I would find it very difficult to live there after recent events.
Our heartfelt sympathy is for every victim of today's tragic events.
Mike

Kiwijohn

Dec 10, 2008
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
texastee2007 said:
Any updates from Our friends in New Zealand?

Hi tee....The deathtoll is now officialy 75, but it is expected to go beyond 200. Pretty devastating
for a small country.
The cathedral (picture above), still has 22 people missing inside.

This is a typical report from search and rescue....
24 people rescued from CTV Building, seven dead, more than 22 missing. 15 people have been found alive.
24 rescued from the PPG Building, seven detected alive by dogs.
22 missing at the Christchurch Cathedral, fatalities expected.
Four rescued from the Press Building, one dead, probably more fatalities.
Three dead at Cashel Street bakery.

The Hotel Grand Chancellor (link to a picture below) is in danger of falling.
http://www.christchurchnz.com/accommodation/listings/hotel-grand-chancellor-christchurch.aspx

It looks like Mike (trikikiwi) dodged a bullet :icon_thumright:

Thanks for your concern tee.
John

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kiwijohn Thanks for keeping us up on what is going on , and letting us know you are ok. We may not have met but we are worried and like to see that you and others are ok.
It is hard to set here and know what happened and not be able to do anything but worry.

Let us know anymore data that you can so we can keep up on the events.

OP
OP
R

rubytuesday

Mar 21, 2009
Hi Trikikiwi, glad to read you and your wife were through the area before the earthquake hit.
I've heard that the area you'd been in, Lyttleton, was one of the worst hit areas outside of Christchurch.
Those aftershocks from the quake must be pretty hard to deal with. We'll continue to pray for the
safe retrieval of as many people as possible and for the safety of all the emergency workers who are
now in the wreckage doing their job.

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for your kind words of support for us Kiwis, but it's those poor people at the heart of the matter who need your prayers.
I have been in contact with family and friends who live in Christchurch and they are all ok thankfully, however still waiting to hear from our hosts for the two days we had spent there. They live in a Bay very close to Lyttelton Harbour (my bad spelling previous post).

And although I don't think he was due to be in the area, my Dad and his partner are also touring the South Island in their campervan (not bad for an 81 year old!) and he's not answering his mobile phone. But that's not unusual for my technophobe Dad.

KiwiJohn, you are so right about dodging the bullet. My wife says she was thinking of suggesting a visit to the Cathedral before we left town. We would have been right in the thick of it.

Warm regards to all, Mike

OP
OP
R

rubytuesday

Mar 21, 2009
I believe that the USA has already sent search and rescue teams to help.
There has been a massive effort from around the world to send people to
assist in the rescue effort.
Thank you

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tee, as the article says, whale strandings are very common around our coasts. All sorts of theories abound on the possible causes of strandings.
To suggest this stranding is connected to the quake takes the theorising into another realm which might also be inhabited by a particularly controversial Kiwi by the name of Ken Ring who predicts our weather by the relative activity of the moon at any given time. He has predicted New Zealand will suffer a major quake on 20 March 2011, just before midday. Was he out by a month?
I'm not sure how accurately he predicts the weather as his almanacs are too expensive, in my opinion.

Latest news, the Prime Minister has just announced, 92 confirmed dead. Grave fears for over 200 still missing. It's a fine day today but rain predicted. I pray they will be located soon.

Now, can someone please advise how to access my private messages? The new TNet format doesn't make it easy!!!

Regards to all, Mike

Kiwijohn

Dec 10, 2008
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
It is now day 5 after the earthquake.
113 confirmed dead. 225 still missing.
In a country this size, everybody, or a friend of a friend, knows somebody affected.
One third of Christchurch city centre buildings totally destroyed.

Here is a graphic description of one paramedic's experience.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/chr...03447/Ambulance-officer-tells-of-quake-horror

And some more photos.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/02/christchurch_earthquake.html

Thank you all for your good wishes and concern.
John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread