Power inverter vs generator?

OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

Thanks SWR. I am trying to weigh the cost-benefit of buying a medium? generator for the fridge and TV but NOT the AC. I thought if the power goes out for say two days..maybe running my car (2004 Toyota) 153,000 miles...would be a reasonable option?

I wish I was knowledgeable with this kind of stuff. I am thinking this might be a year we need electrical backup if/when a hurricane moves through.

Thanks again.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
An inverter to do that,would require a battery larger than a standard car comes with.Amperage output that is and your car would need the larger alternator.I put one in my van and then into my truck and had to have the larger units put in.But it ran the wife's oxygen concentrator on trips and it had no problem with the microwave/crockpot.Just make sure you have it fused good and use the proper wiring from inverter to battery,I think they used #4 wire on my system.Now,having said that,the right size inverter and alternator and battery will cost you more than a generator for the same job.If you don't do it right you are subject to a fire.There's more to it than just sitting an inverter down and hooking jumper cables to it.And the longer the cables,the hotter they'll get.But more people on here have more knowledge of it all than I do.So wait for more input.

OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

I appreciate your advice Warsawdaddy. :icon_thumleft:

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Cappy, check out the small Honda generators. Not cheep but well worth the money. Good luck.

OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

I checked them out..
3000 watts (25 A) of Honda inverter 120V AC power
Super quiet operation - 49 to 58dB(A)
Eco-Throttle - Runs up to 20 hours on 3.4 gals of fuel
Convenient electric starting
Advanced inverter technology provides reliable power to computers and other sensitive equipment
12v - 12A DC output
Protected by Oil Alert®
Power for RV's including 13,500 BTU AC and basic home backup power
USDA-qualifed spark arrestor/muffler
3 year residential and commercial warranty
Anybody here have a generator and can vouch for quality, value, and reliance?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread