images of life on the frontier

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
MMMM Yes I really enjoyed those. I liked that pic of Commanche. That one looked like it was taken
right out there on the battlefield after it happened. I have seen a couple other photo of him. According
to this pic, he had no visible wounds on his left side. It's amazing that he went through that whole fight
without a scratch with all the bullets and arrows that had to be flying all over the place. They are all
great pics.

Thanks for sharing and HH :thumbsup: :coffee2:

Ray

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pic's of History, thanks for sharing.
I had a relative that went west to the Gold Rush, he came back with a cedar box full of it.

Fossis.................

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some of the same pictures, maybe more....

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2011/02/23/from-the-archive-frontier-life-in-the-west/2713/

Paha Sapa, in the tongue of the Lakota, meant "Black Hills." The appearance of the mountains being black is because of the density of the trees. The Sioux considered it the center of the universe.

Several years ago when I was living in Kansas, a Friend from Augusta, GA stopped by and we went to the area to camp, hike and pan gold for a vacation.

The gold found in the black hills is unique in coloration.

04480569000.jpg

The major commercial distributor of Black Hills Gold is Landstrom's.

http://www.blackhillsgoldsource.com/

A lot of the pictures from the websites look just the same as the back roads today. Ummmm, I mean back when I was there, maybe in the mid '80's, almost 30 years ago.
Stupid me, I didn't take my metal detector. ::)

Thanks for the post, it brought back memories! :thumbsup:

Best,
Scott

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray S S said:
MMMM Yes I really enjoyed those. I liked that pic of Commanche.

Ray
Ray,
When Comanche died, he was commissioned to a taxidermist for preservation. Upon completion, he was located at Dyche Museum of Natural History located at the University of Kansas in Lawrence, Kansas, my hometown. I have seen Comanche dozens of time.
However, I'm not sure if he is still on display or if deterioration has taken control. Shoot, I'm not even sure he's still there! (It's been awhile since I've been to my hometown or attended KU).

Best Wishes,
Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread