got spanked by a judge today

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually, the best way to get out of jury duty is to not respond to the Summons they send you in the mail. When you respond, it is nothing more then admitting you received the Summons. If you do not respond, they have no way of proving you were ever served and can do nothing about it.

BTW, I was told of this by a friend of mine that is a Superior court judge.

I dont think that would work here in massachusetts peachy. If i remember correctly it says on the jury duty notice in mass that the excuse never received jury duty summons isnt acceptable. That was 3 or so years ago so it might of changed since then. What if you really didnt receive it,guess we better start learning to read minds. :laughing9:

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Felinepeachy said:
Actually, the best way to get out of jury duty is to not respond to the Summons they send you in the mail. When you respond, it is nothing more then admitting you received the Summons. If you do not respond, they have no way of proving you were ever served and can do nothing about it.

That's funny... makes logical sense too.
I got out of it twice, once in Missouri and again in Florida... each time because either school was letting out for the Summer and I was "moving" back to Florida, or a new semester was starting and I had to "move" back up to Missouri. lol

Bran <><

F

Felinepeachy

Red James cash said:

I dont think that would work here in massachusetts peachy. If i remember correctly it says on the jury duty notice in mass that the excuse never received jury duty summons isnt acceptable. That was 3 or so years ago so it might of changed since then. What if you really didnt receive it,guess we better start learning to read minds. :laughing9:

It's just a ploy to scare you into responding to the Summons. What you're actually mailing back is a Proof of Service of Summons, thereby admitting you were "served" by mail. They can't do anything to you if they have no proof you were served.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
smoke-columbian-t-shirt-vintage-t-shirt-review-wolfgangs-vault-wolfgangs-vault-ZZZ001174-TM-1.jpg

IMG_0sz039.jpg

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Ignoring the jury duty letter does makes sense. Lots of people in our area do that. As far as I know all they get is a nasty letter (which they never get).

Many years ago I did dispatch for the State Police and once a month we mailed out traffic ticket letters. The LT told me it was like a lotto. They figured about 50% would fall for the bluff. I asked if they went after those who didn't pay. He said heck no! We have enough to do now.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It's just a ploy to scare you into responding to the Summons. What you're actually mailing back is a Proof of Service of Summons, thereby admitting you were "served" by mail. They can't do anything to you if they have no proof you were served.

I doubt i'll be hearing from them again anyway seeing as how i told them exactly what i thought of them.

F

Felinepeachy

Yeah, I don't feel the least bit obligated to "serve" since the system is set up to make victims out of the criminals. The judicial system is a joke.

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FarmerChick said:
do your civic duty when called.
that is what is wrong with 'the system'
everyone complains but no one does a damn thing about bad issues, --yet not one damn person truly wants to spend one minute of their time correcting a wrong.
i solved the case the young man was not guilty but covering for a gang member he was not gonna rat on him. ;D I wuz told to leave and my service wuz done. :hello2: 4 years of criminology paid off. 8)

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
The trouble with our whole court system is it's simply a reflection of deeper rooted problems. One major root problem being the state can't execute known killers. It costs tax payers 100's of millions of dollars each year to care for these people. Many of them murdered innocent children and have no respect for anything or anybody. They spend their time working out and studying ways to cause trouble. These people also run mobs within the prison system which helps to make other prisoners worse than they were before coming to the complex. Our prisons are full and there's really not much room left for those who should be there. This is just one of about 100 more problems that make our judicial system a joke. Every judge knows the whole system is a scam.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guaranteed If I was on a Jury
It would end up a Hung Jury
unless everyone Agreed with Me :wink:

& I go by the Charge.

If nobody was Directly "Physically" or "Financially" Hurt

there was no Crime committed.

Except of course "False arrest" & Violation
of ones Constitunial rights to the "Persuit of Happenies"
Whatever that may be to them
:laughing7:

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got my Jury summons today. For June. Why is it I get called 4 times in 8 years and I know others who have never got a summons. The way they pick jurors sucks. It does not effect me too much my company pays me either way. I just get bored to death waiting to convict no wait that should be judge. :icon_thumleft:

Ed D.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you are called then do the right thing.
if you are selected for a jury trial, then judge that situation only
don't bring all of life's crap with you.
even one small case of justice would make a difference.

at least how I see it because if everyone poo poos the system and doesn't do one thing to improve, help, fix, upgrade, etc. -- then you are just as guilty as making and accepting this system.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
ivan salis said:
SAY AS A "FLAWED" MERE HUMAN BEING--WHO AM I TO JUDGE ANOTHER? THATS THE GOOD LORDS JOB TO "JUDGE" FOLKS --- as a jurist I do not know if I did it right or not -- maybe thru a error in the process I'm jailing a inoccent man or letting a guilty one free but either way , I could not bear the thought of it. - the mental stress of it would eat me alive for life.

Had two of those old hippie women on the murder trail I sat on. They stretched deliberations out for a whole extra day because; "we could never know what it's like to walk in that young man's shoes so how could we judge him?".

The young man shot another young man to death for playing on "his" basketball court in the public housing place they shared.

If you care at all you have to show up, because those old hippies do. And we did get the verdict right at the end of the day.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
SAY AS A "FLAWED" MERE HUMAN BEING--WHO AM I TO JUDGE ANOTHER? THATS THE GOOD LORDS JOB TO "JUDGE" FOLKS --- as a jurist I do not know if I did it right or not -- maybe thru a error in the process I'm jailing a inoccent man or letting a guilty one free but either way , I could not bear the thought of it. - the mental stress of it would eat me alive for life.

it is not only the good Lords job to judge crimes.
it is a human condition also.

but if YOU TRULY do feel that way, and could not sit a jury because it "would eat you alive" then you tell the judge that....because it would be the truth and therefore you would be excused of 'doing your duty'

nothing wrong with that. judging a trial is not for everyone but using a 'legitmate' excuse for not wanting participation is one thing, saying I 'can't afford to take a day off from work' is sure different.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Just got my Jury summons today. For June. Why is it I get called 4 times in 8 years and I know others who have never got a summons. The way they pick jurors sucks. It does not effect me too much my company pays me either way. I just get bored to death waiting to convict no wait that should be judge. icon_thumleft

Born2Dtect youre only suppose to be summoned for jury duty once every 3 years. If i were you i'd start raising some hell about it.

F

Felinepeachy

FarmerChick said:
at least how I see it because if everyone poo poos the system and doesn't do one thing to improve, help, fix, upgrade, etc. -- then you are just as guilty as making and accepting this system.

That's not true. I VOTE and pay taxes! It doesn't make any difference. Can't go on any further since this isn't the politics forum.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
voting and taxes are a small part of the issue.
voting means you throw your trust into someone else with like beliefs and 'hope' those agendas can be carried out and applied---and taxes pay for your lifestyle like having street lights, stop signs, road repairs etc. to function in your life.

active participation is truly required to make real changes. casting a vote and paying a dollar is 'the cheap' way out of saying "I do my part"

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
if the "young man" above --(thug / punk / lowlife) shot and killed another man for playing basketball in a public housing project basketball court because he thought it was "HIS" COURT -- AND IT WAS PROVED HE DID SO FOR SUCH TRIFLING A REASON * -- please let me throw the switch to the electric chair .-- since he is clearly "unfit" to live among "normal human beings", because he acted more like a rabid deranged animal than a human being.

Lady Liberty

Feb 7, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FarmerChick said:
voting and taxes are a small part of the issue.
voting means you throw your trust into someone else with like beliefs and 'hope' those agendas can be carried out and applied---and taxes pay for your lifestyle like having street lights, stop signs, road repairs etc. to function in your life.

active participation is truly required to make real changes. casting a vote and paying a dollar is 'the cheap' way out of saying "I do my part"

FC, you are forgetting about referendums when speaking of voting, its not just about selecting one of the candidates. I think voting is a much bigger part of the process than you appear to be giving it also, especially when one educates themselves on the candidates and carries the info on to others that won't go through the trouble of said education. Although, thanks to activist judges overturning the will of the people in some referendums, our vote is becoming worth less.

Taxes? Please, I'll keep the money I work for. I'll forgo the “luxuries” “given” to us by taxes and make it on my own thank you very much. I'm self employed in more than one business and if I'm down at the court house “doing my duty” to bail some slug out I'm not only loosing money to pay those taxes but I'm also loosing future income from my client base when they choose someone else.

That isn't even really the point. The point is, the judicial system is broken, its become a farce. The fate of the accused is determined prior to trial and they choose jurors that will give them the outcome they desire. Being part of the farce will do nothing to change it, in fact, it will only perpetuate it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread