owensboro , ky
OP
OP
jon43

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
fleamistress said:
I have no idea what you are talking about but if your wife is acting fatigued or stupid give her a NON-diet soda.
its the air inside the house. the air is not working. she works in a hot place all night and this is the frist year i could not get the air con, working :P me myself i can deal with the heat but got to keep her happy :)

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Wow, wish I could help, dont know much bout AC. Im assuming you have a large unit outside the house, central air. Does it blow air but not cold air or it just wont turn on? Hopefully someone here knows something. Your subject threw me off a bit, thought your wife might be kinky, lol. I cant help you with that either but I had to look in & see if you had any takers! lol ;D

R

rvbvetter

If it says change water, then it sounds like you have a swamp cooler. And not a standered freon air conditioner.
A swamp cooler will normaly have a resevoir at the bottom for the water. There should be a little door near the bottom that will tilt out ward at it's top to allow you to see the water level and it's where you can add water.
To drain the water there should be some sort of valve at the very bottom on the outside of the resevoir. It may look something like the drain at the bottom of your cars radiater.
You should drain any water and add fresh water from time to time so the it doesn't get stagnit. Old water can cause health problems because the cooler air off the water is what the fans are blowing into your house. Along with any bacteria that can accumalate with stagnet water.
Just keep the water fresh and you'll have no problems. HH

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Detector(s) used
RV may be onto something there, an air conditioner doesnt use water to cool however, it does create water from condensation which will usualy drip into a pan. This may need to be emptied. If you have a swamp cooler it must be filled with water to cool. Usualy it will have a 1/4" copper water line running into it with a float valve similar to what you have in a toilet, once the water level drops down to a certain level it opens the water valve & fills the holding tank til full, then shuts the valve off, so your pan is always full of water. If this is what you have it should be easy to repair. These units have a submergable pump in the water pan that pumps water to the top of the mats, keeping them wet; your pump may have crapped out. Easy fix, relatively cheap to buy. But it sounds like you may have a central air system, let us know & someone can help. :)

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Detector(s) used
Im re-reading your post & it realy sounds like you have a central air/heating unit outside your house. If so, that unit cools by using freon (freons outlawed, R-22 or something now) If your control box/thermostat says "change water" I would say that it means the condensate water hold is overflowing. Theres usualy a tube, plastic hose that the water drips out of, away from the unit. This hose may be plugged & the water is backing up setting off the sensor. I had a portable AC unit that when this happened sensors turned off the compressor automaticaly, so it would blow, but not cold air. These central air units are not real repair freindly, you may have to call a "professional" to open it up & unplug a piece of hose. :(

OP
OP
jon43

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
Mighty AP said:
Im re-reading your post & it realy sounds like you have a central air/heating unit outside your house. If so, that unit cools by using freon (freons outlawed, R-22 or something now) If your control box/thermostat says "change water" I would say that it means the condensate water hold is overflowing. Theres usualy a tube, plastic hose that the water drips out of, away from the unit. This hose may be plugged & the water is backing up setting off the sensor. I had a portable AC unit that when this happened sensors turned off the compressor automaticaly, so it would blow, but not cold air. These central air units are not real repair freindly, you may have to call a "professional" to open it up & unplug a piece of hose. :(
it is central air and heat on the outside. i looked up water panel and it looks like a big filter and on the site , it said it slides out. theres no doors but just screws. i guess i will just take it apart to find were this darn thing is.

OP
OP
jon43

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
Re: A/C help needed!

fleamistress said:
Were you away, put the thermostat on 90 then came in and cranked it to 68? Then it's freon.

I'll change the header for you. :D

Cyn
i went out and opened it up and did not see were a water panel would go. beats me :( just have to live with a hot wife :D it has on the door were you can reset the water panel but when i do what it said it don't work ??? i can not afford right now to call in some one but as long as the heat works, I'm fine. ya, the header was i thought at the time would be funny after drinking some beer but in the morning i see it as different :)

OP
OP
jon43

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
Mighty AP said:
Wow, wish I could help, dont know much bout AC. Im assuming you have a large unit outside the house, central air. Does it blow air but not cold air or it just wont turn on? Hopefully someone here knows something. Your subject threw me off a bit, thought your wife might be kinky, lol. I cant help you with that either but I had to look in & see if you had any takers! lol ;D
turned it on the other day and it started blowing out real cold air and then stopped then the change the water panel came up on the controll panel. ya, the subject line was a bit off the wall :D it would not blow after i tried to reset it but in awhile i am going to see if the heat works. some one told me to spray it out real good with a water hose. this has been a real bad month, lawn mower broke, brakes went out on the car now this but i wont let it get me down :)

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Do you have a water cooled condenser outside?? If you do, you NEED to clean and fill the tank wth water or it wll overheat or not run at aLL (SAFETY). it would be lke trying to drive car with no water in radiator.

OP
OP
jon43

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
bigcypresshunter said:
Do you have a water cooled condenser outside?? If you do you need to fill the tank wth water or it wll overheat or not run at aLL (SAFETY).
no, theres nothing on the outside but on the inside what looks like a air con, that would look like a unit that would be for a car, small and got copper pipes and fins. that must be whats got the freon in it. also a compressor in there. i think i will spray them fins out and see if that helps :-\

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Are you in a house, mobile home, or apt? Your compressor should be outsde in a slpit system for house.

OP
OP
jon43

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
ok folks, what a dumb a.. i am ::) when some thing gos wrong with things you are supposed to look at simple things first. breaker box in the house :P case solved :D

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
jon43 said:
Mighty AP said:
turned it on the other day and it started blowing out real cold air and then stopped then the change the water panel came up on the controll panel. ya, the subject line was a bit off the wall :D it would not blow after i tried to reset it but in awhile i am going to see if the heat works. some one told me to spray it out real good with a water hose. this has been a real bad month, lawn mower broke, brakes went out on the car now this but i wont let it get me down :)
Breaker is also a safety device. will blow when somethng s wrong. Check your condenser fans and water if water cooled. I am a/c certifed. I need more info to help. Also no time right now, will check later.

OP
OP
jon43

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
bigcypresshunter said:
jon43 said:
Mighty AP said:
Breaker is also a safety device. will blow when somethng s wrong. Check your condenser fans and water if water cooled. I am a/c certifed. I need more info to help. Also no time right now, will check later.
i think were a running a lot of stuff in the house , maybe to much for the box to carry :-\

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your A/C should be on it's own breaker. I'm guessing that your A/C is also running on 220 and not 110. If I'm correct, running other items such as the tv or lights wouldn't effect the 220 breaker. If you have an electric stove or electric dryer and they are on the same breaker as your AC then, you would have problems. Sometimes the breakers will just get weak and need replacing; pretty simple fix.

OP
OP
jon43

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
packerbacker said:
Your A/C should be on it's own breaker. I'm guessing that your A/C is also running on 220 and not 110. If I'm correct, running other items such as the tv or lights wouldn't effect the 220 breaker. If you have an electric stove or electric dryer and they are on the same breaker as your AC then, you would have problems. Sometimes the breakers will just get weak and need replacing; pretty simple fix.
the air has to be on the main box, i opened it up and its got a.c wrote in there and thats how i found out why the a.c was not working , one of the breakers was off. i fliped it back on and got the a.c working. maybe time for a bigger box :-\ we have a lot of proplems with light bulbs blowing a lot and that dont sound to good :( like you said , i might have to get more or new breakers.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have more than 1 breaker for the A/C? Some people will use 2 breakers, side-by-side, with 110 running from each to get the 220. If one were to think the power was off to the A/C by just shutting off one breaker could create a safety problem. The other breaker would still be running 110 to the A/C unit. If it's a 220 A/C (probably is) there should be 1 breaker. It would look like 2 breakers but the switch handles would be connected. You could not shut one off without turning off the other. Again I'm guessing it's 220 and would require a minimum 30 amp breaker running 10 or even 8 AWG wire to your unit depending on the amps the unit draws. If 2 separate breakers are being used, the very minimum I would do is to drill a hole through both breaker handles and connect them with something like a small diameter nail. Just something that, if something goes wrong or someone wants to work on it, BOTH breakers would trip or have to be turned off. Hard to say what might be wrong without understanding exactly what you have.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread