One word in the English language that can be a noun, verb, adj, adv. and prep.

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Greetings, here is an unusual observation. You might enjoy this. One word in the English language
that can be a noun, verb, adj., adv., and prep.

UP Read until the end....you'll laugh.

This two-letter word in English has more meanings than any other two-letter word, and that word is
'UP.' It is listed in the dictionary as an [adv], [prep], [adj.], or [verb].

At a meeting, why does a topic come UP? Why do we speak UP, and why are the officers UP for
election and why is it UP to the secretary to write UP a report? We call UP our friends, brighten UP
a room, polish UP the silver, warm UP the leftovers and clean UP the kitchen. WE lock UP the
house and fix UP the old car.

At other times, this little word has real special meaning. People stir UP trouble, line UP for tickets,
work UP an appetite, and think UP excuses.

To be dressed is one thing but to be dressed UP is special.

And this UP is confusing: A drain must be opened UP because it is stopped UP.

We open UP a store in the morning but we close it UP at night. We seem pretty mixed UP about UP.

To be knowledgeable about the proper uses of UP, look UP the word UP in the dictionary. In a
desk-sized dictionary, it takes UP almost 1/4 of the page and can add UP to about thirty definitions.

If you are UP to it, you might try building UP a list of the many ways UP is used. It will take UP
a lot of your time, but if you don't give UP, you may wind UP with a hundred or more.

When it threatens to rain, we say it is clouding UP. When the sun comes out, we say it is clearing
UP. When it rains, it soaks UP the earth. When it does not rain for awhile, things dry UP. One
could go on and on, but I'll wrap it UP, for now. . . . . my time is UP!

Oh. . . .one more thing: What is the first thing you do in the morning and the last thing you do
at night?

U

P!

Did that one crack you UP? :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:icon_thumleft: ROFLMBO!!!!!! :icon_thumright:

KEYSHUNTER

Sep 29, 2007
florida keys
Detector(s) used
;whites dual PI
it was a hold up,the robbers said give it up,then they messed up,then the posse caught up,and the law said string them up..what a day for UP...and the story goes on,up maybe.... :tongue3:

OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
To Chug and Red, that is quite a line-UP of letters and really shortens UP the sentence. :laughing7:

To Tee, For a quick pop-UP answer, you wrote it UP pretty good. LOL.

Hey, KEYSHUNTER, You really rose UP to the situation and tallyed UP several in your story and are UP over the rest. I
like your write UP about how the law was one UP on those robbers. Good job. :laughing9:

To Real de Tayopa, Not sure about that one. At the moment , nothing comes UP to do that UP very well.

Thank you all for your great answers.

Have a great day and Happy Hunting.

Ray

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
clearly the crooks time was up , yep the gig was was up fer em.

you folks crack me up , so the up shot of this article is that it up to the user exactly how to use up since it has up teen ways to use it .

OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Ok, Don Jose, but you were doing it UP with a good start UP on the 'Oh" OHHHH, yeah. LOL.

Tee, Yup you're one UP on that story, I believe you are right about UP being the wrong direction for them.

Ivan That posse rounded them UP in good time and I bet the robbers wished they had gotten UP into the
high country. Up there they might have escaped. LOL.

LukeTHr

Dec 13, 2005
kansas
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & tesoro tejon whites spectra v3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when I saw this thread title, I was thinking it was about a different versatile word of the english language I had a seen a youtube video on "history of the f-word". never looked at the word "up" as being this useful before, but now I know

OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Hello, LukeTHr, yUP, I wasn't UP on all the uses of the word UP myself. I never really paid any attention. But it
is kinda funny how many ways and how it is used. Here's a full-UP cUP of hot coffee for you. :coffee2:

Thanks for you reply.

Ray

OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
You are welcome NaturalJWL, looks we are all brushing UP a little on our edgumacation and the
use of words. :laughing9:

Thanks for you reply.

Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions