Dollar Stores.....Doomed?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could be right and they might just end up as Yuan Stores. :-\

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup, a dollar don't buy much anymore.

America has passed through it's glory days and we're on the slide down the other side.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigscoop said:
Here's a prediction......"Dollar Stores such as Dollar General & Family Dollar, etc., are on the endangered list and they will be lucky to survive as nothing more then fading tidbits within the next 7 - 10 years."

I'm thinking more along the lines of a complete, and very deliberate assult and extermination. Wal-Mart is already making moves to make certain it happens, and given their history..........they will get it done one way or the other.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no I don't think a dollar type store will all close.

around me, people shop for clothes at Dollar General :laughing7:

the stores that are "truly just a buck" might close cause heck they only have mostly cheap junk anyway, cause a buck won't buy quality usually......but the "dollar generals and family dollar stores" should continue. I know our stores around here do great biz.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what do you think is next, the fitty-cent stores :dontknow: :laughing7:

I doubt the dollar stores will disappear too, after all there is a market for low end quality products. There are cases where some people will buy inferior product for short term use and live with it. This would hold especially true for some of the lower end cleaning/polishing items.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:
So what do you think is next, the fitty-cent stores :dontknow: :laughing7:

I doubt the dollar stores will disappear too, after all there is a market for low end quality products. There are cases where some people will buy inferior product for short term use and live with it. This would hold especially true for some of the lower end cleaning/polishing items.

And that's exactly where Wal-Mart is heading with their new express stores. They are going to put their huge ugly foot right on the throat of the Dollar Generals, Family Dollars, Dollar stores, etc. It will be interesting to see how these smaller chains react to the appraoching storm?

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Tell me it aint so....Where else can I get four AA Coppertops for a buck!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's funny that you mentioned Woolworth's.. Although they are gone from the USA, they still live on in Germany, Austria and Mexico. My favorite part of Woolworth's was their soda fountain. if you bought a Sundae, you could pick a balloon that was taped to the wall, or on a string overhead, pop he balloon and pay that price. Most offered a bit of a discount, so you felt better.

Never got the $0.01 Sundae either :crybaby2:

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the dollar stores thou alot of times are in tight places....like in town near my Mom there is a brand new Dollar General smack in neighborhood type setting. Small store, gets all those customers who walk to a store also. Dollar type stores are in strip malls too. So if you hit the big grocery on the end of the strip mall, you can walk up to Dollar General for a few small items you might want.

Walmart might go express but will they keep the stores small to fit in tight places? :dontknow:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FarmerChick said:
the dollar stores thou alot of times are in tight places....like in town near my Mom there is a brand new Dollar General smack in neighborhood type setting. Small store, gets all those customers who walk to a store also. Dollar type stores are in strip malls too. So if you hit the big grocery on the end of the strip mall, you can walk up to Dollar General for a few small items you might want.

Walmart might go express but will they keep the stores small to fit in tight places? :dontknow:

And this is what I just learned the other day, Walmart is targeting the exact locations you're speaking about. A very close friend of mine just got a $190,000 offer on his home that is only worth about $65,000 in today's market. Once Walmart gets their foot in the door they know they have the clout & muscle to get the needed zoning changes, and with that done it becomes an easy thing to start buying up the other adjacent housing. Communities have tried to stop them before but it never works, and soon there is a new Walmart sitting where these homes use to be. The home I'm speaking about sits in the middle of a block, at one end of the block there is a Dollar General store, not far from the other end of the block there is a Family Dollar. This is why I'm saying that these stores are on the endangered list, because its obvious that Walmart is planning to eradicate them.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ahhh that is interesting.
well everything changes and if a big corp has its eye on expanding...not much is going to stop them.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
walmart is in building mode now, not sure the dollar stores are doomed, i think they will adapt
now if the the min-walmarts,would offer free delivery of there online products, to the mini stores
that would be a plus, and a niche for the mini, considering the 3.74 a gal at the pump price
im lucky i have super wal about 3 mi,and a dg 1mi, dt 2mi, fd 3mi, and a mall 4mi, and 3 discount
groceries within 5mi

Walmart Plans To Open 40 Scaled-Down Express Stores This Year
March 9 (Bloomberg) -- Wal-Mart Stores Inc. will next week start building its first Express stores, a format less than a tenth the size of an average supercenter, according to building permits obtained by Bloomberg News.

The world’s largest retailer will begin construction March 16 on a 14,400-square-foot store in Gentry, Arkansas, a town of 3,158 about 20 miles (32 kilometers) southwest of the company’s Bentonville headquarters, according to the permits.

While Wal-Mart has kept details of the new stores a closely guarded secret, Steve Restivo, a company spokesman, confirmed the location of the store openings and the timing in an e-mail. Work on similar stores in nearby Prairie Grove and Gravette will also start over the next two weeks, said town officials. The new stores will feature a pharmacy and groceries section.
http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...rk-on-small-stores-next-week-in-arkansas.html

Mini Wal-Marts Coming to Main Street
http://blogs.wsj.com/in-charge/2011/04/01/mini-wal-marts-coming-to-main-street/?mod=google_news_blog

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
its going to be on now --the new "lowered expectation" marts --no more costly top quality item stores --just buy cheap junky crap over and over marts --with the lowered buying value of the US dollar and the low wages many americans are now earning ---we best get used to living with third world standard "el cheapo" quality stuff -- because it will be all we can afford.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been thinking that it would be interesting if somebody with money started opening 100% American Made Stores, the idea being that everything in them would have to be made in the USA. Now I know it sounds like an unlikely venture, but is it? US manufacturers are in bad need of work, the US economy is in bad need of jobs, and a vast majority of US consumers are sick to death of all the imports. Sure, you might have to pay more for it, but I think many would. Now this wouldn't apply to every market, but for many of them it might actually be worth looking into. :dontknow:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan Badger said:
Yup, a dollar don't buy much anymore.

America has passed through it's glory days and we're on the slide down the other side.

We're a Third World Country all ready, most of us are just asleep to the fact yet.

Gravel roads if that, no health care, no pensions or retirement, euthanasia (a polite term for the future), no homes, and no educational system.

The worst part of it is that we're doing it to ourselves.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
bigscoop ==some already did --it was sam walton ---founder of WAL MART * sadly after his death the family sold out and the made in china group took over

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread